In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Bus Camping

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by BCB, Feb 28, 2023.

1. BCB

BCB

I recently started up the hobby of filming and creating videos about my bus camping trips. Here's the latest trip to the NJ Pine Barrens.

2. BCB

BCB

Youtube is pushing their "shorts" in order to compete with tiktoc and instagram. It has to be under 1 min long and shot vertically (which can be a bit of a pita in editing if you forget to shoot everything you have in mind for a short vertically lol). I made a short on how I cooked beef bourguignon while camping. It's pretty easy, just takes about 3 hours including prep and you have to keep an eye on it while it's cooking so it doesnt dry out. I had to add wine, stock and water to it several times over the 2 hours of simmering on the camp fire.

Timberdog, walt, Screwloose and 4 others like this.
  3. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

That bus is pretty bad-apple.
    You do that yourself?

As kids we played in an abandoned 'hippie bus'. I remember the layout, and would replicate it if I had the chance.
    That is a dream I have not given up on yet. I even priced full size school busses last fall, just to see.

I shall envision what I would do, tonight as I drift off.

4. BCB

BCB

Thanks SCA. Yeah it was a school bus when I bought it. I did everything myself over the course of a few months. Basic build, then tried it out and adjusted what I liked and didnt like, etc. Right now it's pretty much were we like it. I'd like to add a few more things but they're not immediate needs.

I thought about a full size bus when we started looking but I cant fit it at the house and it might not fit at a lot of places we want to visit. My bus is 24' so its a mid-size bus.

5. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

Kudos.
    I didn't see a 'tour' video, but what I did see looks well thought out.
    I hear you about the full size and getting it into smaller places. that would be a do.
    I would absolutely have a wood stove though. The ones they make for sailing vessels are a bit small, but I liked the idea.
    I also saw a few home built bus campers with solar panels on top, on a rack. 'Course with flexible panels coming out, that might change things.
    Working at a truck stop for a few years, I was intrigued by the 12 volt 'coolers' for guys over the road.
    I don't recall what the 'hippie bus' had for a toilet, tank and water wise, but I have leaned toward composting toilets.
    I'd definitely like to be able to go out just before a blizzard and stay out for a few days.

Screwloose, metalcuttr and wildwest like this.
  6. BCB

BCB

I'd like a wood stove too but I dont want to deal with such a small fire box and having to reload it every couple of hours. The diesel heater sips fuel and keeps the bust toasty. Only knock on it is the pump makes a horrible ticking noise.
    I plan on doing a tour video once the weather gets nicer. Everything is winterized now.

Believe it or not I get around 15mpg with this thing. It has a 6.6l Duramax LMM in it and cruises no problem 65-70mph. I dont like going much faster than 65 w it but there have been times where I'm going w traffic and look down at the speedometer and notice im doing 70+ lol.

7. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    We had a small wood stove on our last sailboat. It was on it when we bought the boat. Small fire box and short chimney had us take it out after a wind gust back drafted the flame into the cabin. Packing firewood and disposing of the ash is not easy on a space limited boat. We switched to a Dickinson propane heater with a double wall chimney and a glass window so you could watch the flame. So much better.

8. BCB

BCB

Yeah those Dickinson's are nice heaters. I saw a guy install one in a travel trailer and he really liked it.

9. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Have you seen BCB ’s build thread yet…
    Camping/Hunting Rig

The emergency door at the back of the bus, probably…

10. BCB

BCB

One of my favorite camper hacks. I've been using these for a year and a half so far and no issues. Dont have to worry about them cracking :thumbs:

Screwloose and metalcuttr like this.
  11. BCB

BCB

I'm having a subscriber giveaway once my channel reaches 1k subs :)

12. BCB

BCB

Quick teaser of the inside of the bus. I installed the wall cabinet and shelf the other day.

13. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Cool video, nice job on the bus

14. Jeffrey Svoboda

Jeffrey Svoboda

+1

15. BCB

BCB

Thanks! Stupid YT wont let you set a thumbnail for shorts so its a random frame which happens to be a dish towel. that's really helping with interest in feeds :doh::rofl: :lol:

16. BCB

BCB

17. BCB

BCB

These mini drones are amazing. I went back to the hidden waterfall and took some video.

Screwloose, metalcuttr and eatonpcat like this.
  18. BCB

BCB

Our Trip to Ricketts Glen State Park (PA) is up on YT. Such a beautiful place with so many waterfalls.

eatonpcat and metalcuttr like this.
  19. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

My blood pressure went down 5 points while watching. Nice job on the bus! Interesting fireplace gizmo. Homemade or commercial?

20. BCB

BCB

You have no idea how much I like this comment. That's exactly what I'm going for with my videos. I just want to show a specific area without narration so the viewers can just relax and watch.

It's called a Pop-Up Fire Pit https://amzn.to/3ZpV0qp
    In the video I put it together wrong. The sides should go on before the mesh bottom (who needs to read the directions? lol). I didnt realize it until after it was loaded and burning, then i noticed the gap on the sides from sagging. Overall I like it. It packs up small, cools down quickly after use. I did make 1 modification to it as I cut out a small section of one of the sides so I can place a cast iron pot/pan handle into it and get the pan down lower in the pit.

Sirchopsalot and metalcuttr like this.