In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Any SAR or DAR members here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by BCB, Jun 13, 2019.

1. BCB

BCB

I've submitted an application to join Sons of the American Revolution. It's a lineage organization for descendants of the original patriots of this country.

Up until last summer I had no idea I had rev war vets in my family tree. I always thought my ancestors came over from Europe in the early-mid 1800s. Not so! I've been able to trace some relatives from England and the Netherlands coming over to the US in the late 1600s.

So far I have been able to discover 5 relatives that fought in the rev war. The one I have the most documentation on (my 7th great-grandfather) was a private in Captain Mott’s Company, First Regiment, Hunterdon Militia NJ. He assisted in ferrying Washington's army across Delaware River to attack Trenton NJ.

My 6th great-aunt, the above mentioned patriot's daughter, was a member of Daughter's of the American Revolution in the 1890s.

2. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

So cool, and very interesting. I love American history, and it started right here. If I had your lineage, I'd be right there with you! " Live Free or Die", is the NH state motto from back then, it's on our license plates.:salute::usa:

Chvymn99 and BCB like this.
  3. BCB

BCB

I've found out some more cool things recently. I have a great-aunt married to a General Jacob Bower (1776 and War of 1812) and another aunt was married to a legal advisor of Philip Livingston who was a member of the Continental Congress and a Signer. They're tied to Christ Church in Philadelphia and a few are buried there.

Start researching, you'll be surprised by what you uncover.

NH mountain man likes this.
  4. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

We have some research, My mom's family came from Quebec in the 1860's, as so many did then to work in the New England mills. My dad's family came from Lithuania in 1914, they were rural peasents and there is no written history of them . My house though, was built in 1880 and my grandparents bought it in 1915 and we've been here since then. That's pretty cool to me.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  5. BCB

BCB

Well almost 4 years later I am officially a SAR member. My certificate arrived in the mail today.

6. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Very interesting. Most of my ancestors left Germany and arrived in the New World in the late 1800s up until the Great Depression. My paternal grandmother's mother though came from a very prominent Connecticut family (Wadsworth) that settled in what became Hartford during Colonial times. One of the Wadsworths supplied the Continental Army with provisions during the Revolutionary War. According to Connecticut legend, the state charter was hidden from the British within a hollow inside an ancient white oak near the Connecticut River. I remember my father telling me when I was growing up that it was one of the Wadsworths that had placed it there.

buZZsaw BRAD, BCB and Skier76 like this.
  7. BCB

BCB

It was nice out yesterday so I took a trip to visit my ancestor's grave and to trace his footsteps of The Crossing. I noticed while looking at the big map at the park that the road his cemetery is located is one of the two roads Washington used en route to Trenton. IDK which route Joseph took but I thought that was a very cool coincidence.

buZZsaw BRAD likes this.