In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Fairview fireplace install question

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by BCB, Nov 20, 2016.

1. fox9988

fox9988

Did you order a ceramic cat? The new durafoil cat is an assembly that doesn't have a gasket.

brenndatomu likes this.
  2. Horkn

Horkn

I did the same on my flex liner last fall. I just used roxul at the top under the cap and then in the damper area just advice the stove.

I think it worked fine. My clean out of the chimney this fall seemed to have confirmed that.

brenndatomu and BCB like this.
  3. BCB

BCB

Good to hear. My last set up was on an exterior wall and I wrapped that in an insulation blanket. This time I have an unheated garage between the chimney and the outside. It's also about 10' shorter this time around.

brenndatomu and Horkn like this.
  4. BCB

BCB

Yes I ordered ceramic. I don't think Woodstock has the steel cats for the 201 version of the Fireview, just the 205.

5. fox9988

fox9988

Forgot it was a 201

6. BCB

BCB

The Fireview was installed today! I have a small paint curing fire going right now. I'm going back and forth on raising the mantle or putting in a heat deflector. It's 14" from the top of the stove.

I stuffed some Roxul in the damper (came out easily, didn't have to break anything!) and at the top of the chimney.

IMG_1892 2.JPG IMG_1883.JPG IMG_1884.JPG IMG_1885.JPG IMG_1886.JPG IMG_1888.JPG

7. BCB

BCB

Backwoods Savage, I get what you're saying about the soft, even heat of the stove.

8. Oldhippie

Oldhippie

I'm just seeing this thread.. been busy doing my own winter prep clean up work, but NICE JOB. One thing about Fireviews, they are the definition of simplicity. So a rebuild is like getting a new stove as long as you do the gaskets right.

I love mine. It takes some practice and experimenting to find the right burn settings for "cruise control". I use a small "camping shovel" instead of those decorative fireplace tool shovels to clean out the ash, they are bigger and make the job much less of a chore.

I got mine as a rebuild, from Woodstock, but it was only a year old, as the gent that owned it needed a Progress for his size house. Tehy are the kind of stove that outlast their owners and stay with a home for generations. You were lucky to get one. I wonder why they sold it. Tell us how it goes as you get the feel for it.

9. BCB

BCB

Will do and thank you for the compliment.

With it being a 201 I'll have to figure out the air settings for the door controls. Everyone seems to have the 205 with the lever on the back and a sweet spot of around 1 on the lever setting. I have to find the 201's equivalent of lever setting 1 lol

10. BCB

BCB

Heat shield's paint dried and I just finished installing it. I bent the lip upwards in order to hide the screws from view. Painted it black with the same high heat paint that the stove was painted with. Its very discreet with the paint.

IMG_1903.JPG

11. Oldhippie

Oldhippie

That came out nice.

12. BCB

BCB

I almost forgot about this. The person I bought the stove from threw in a pair of antler tools a friend of his made him years ago. I thought they were pretty cool and put them in the basement until the stove was installed. New cat is arriving today.
    . IMG_1907.JPG

brenndatomu, fox9988 and papadave like this.
  13. Oldhippie

Oldhippie

Nice but get a bigger shovel for the ashes.

14. BCB

BCB

Heading into season #6 with this self refurbished stove and it's been great. 3 years ago I replaced the original baffle with a brand new one due to a large crack. Last year I replaced the ceramic cat with a SS one. The ceramic lasted about 5 years. Im curious to see how long I get out of the SS.

I also ordered myself another cat over the weekend. This one is going to go on the shelf until needed. I wanted to make sure I had something available in case supply chain issues continue over the next few years. I'm sure the price will increase also. These things are usually on backorder on a good day lol.

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" - Benjamin Franklin

15. moresnow

moresnow

Nice to see some stove talk :thumbs:

Should be interesting to get your opinion on the steel cat as time goes by. I've gone back and forth and settled on ceramic for the BK's. Definitely thinking about stuffing a few more spares on the shelf also. Same concerns.

16. BCB

BCB

Up until last year I dont think the SS cat was available for my 201. Now the ceramic isnt even an ordering option anymore on WS's website.

My stove ran great last season with the SS cat. I havent cleaned the top of the baffle or the cat yet (its all covered in ash). One of these days I'll get around to it lol. I'll put some polish on the stove after its all cleaned up as well.

brenndatomu and moresnow like this.
  17. BCB

BCB

So I wanted to follow up regarding the ceramic vs ss cat. I think they both work fine in my stove. Im leaning towards the ss cat as far as my preference. it did warp a little bit but I dont feel like its going to fall apart while cleaning it. I'm halfway through my 2nd year with it. We'll see how long it last.

moresnow, brenndatomu and wildwest like this.
  18. BCB

BCB

ahh sh it, 7 years have passed and I'm just now realizing that Fireview was autocorrected to Fairview in the thread title lol.

Ohio, blacktail and Eckie like this.