In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Tractor: how many hp needed?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Yawner, Jan 16, 2020.

1. JustWood

JustWood Guest

Traction and ground clearance being most important

2. Buffalo Plaid

Buffalo Plaid

I had a 1941 Ford 9N, I think they claimed 14HP at the drawbar...amazing what that little tractor could do. If it had 4WD I would still have it, but it would always get stuck when I tried to push the snow banks back just a little bit more.

3. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

I still have and use a 48 N for road work all the time. For bigger stuff a I have a 72 ford 2000 that has a loader. Then for even bigger stuff I have a 76 ford 555 backhoe.
    I use them all.

Flamestead, Screwloose, Maina and 2 others like this.
  4. huskihl

huskihl

I’d say that size is perfect.
    I’d get a York rake with tires before a box blade, unless you’re planning on cutting a new road or trying to dig down into clay

5. MAF143

MAF143

I have a 35 hp Ferguson old school farm tractor with 2wd and take care of 63 acres of woods. The skidder I made has been a big help. It does way more than I used to think it could. Not the greatest on the bigger hills but works just fine overall. Some pix in the thread below. I'm thinking 40HP would be plenty. As many others have stated, weight, traction and stance matter most.

New home made toy for my 3 point hitch

Flamestead, Screwloose, Maina and 2 others like this.
  6. Oakman69

Oakman69

Itle be fine. You'll be happy!! Just not w the bill tho bit that will go away in 10 years

7. Maina

Maina

As mentioned already, traction is paramount, and that’s primarily a weight issue. The more weight the better, and it needs to be balanced front/rear as much as possible. Horsepower is mostly required for running implements off the PTO. My 25 hp L2501 runs my 64” rear snowblower and 4” chipper with no problems at all but I could go faster with the blower if I had more horsepower. It’s more about what you want the do with it, and how fast you want to get it done. Bigger tractors get more done faster but aren’t nearly as easy to get in and out of tight spots, and they use a lot more fuel and cost more to purchase and maintain. Another consideration these days is the added expense of emission control devices on tractors over 26 horsepower if you’re considering new.
    For a great example of working a woodlot with a compact tractor it’s pretty hard to beat GP Outdoors on YouTube. He has a B2601 and he does everything with it. Logging winch, grapple, chipper, mower, snowblower, etc. He gets it all done with that little tractor in an impressive fashion. I don’t see where he’s missing a thing other than perhaps a little more weight on occasion. My tractor weighs almost twice as much but has the same horsepower so I know it will do at least as well in the same conditions and it’s a lot easier on fuel than a 50 hp, with no emission controls.
    When it comes to racing there is no replacement for displacement, but when you’re talking about getting work done, not so much. Horsepower gets it done faster and runs larger implements. If you don’t need big implements you don’t need big power.

8. Yawner

Yawner

Haven't bought yet, have had three tractors in my sights. Anyone know... I assume that, in general, more HP provides more lift capacity of the FEL, is that correct? For instance, wouldn't one expect a 41 hp tractor to lift quite a bit more than a 32 hp tractor?

Maina likes this.
  9. farmer rob

farmer rob

Not really it depends on the Loader and front axle and of coarse weight on back end especially if not 4 wheel drive.

Maina and fox9988 like this.
  10. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

The main driver for lift capacity is the hydraulic system and how many GPM it puts out. To safely lift the load, rear ballast, frame robustness, overall weight, tire type, bearings, loader design and bucket type, and axles all come into play.

Maina and farmer steve like this.
  11. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

For example my Kioti NX4510 has 16.5 gpm of flow, and is rated at 2761lbs of lift capacity at full height with the loader and 3177 lbs on the 3 point at 24” back. I’ve seen similar sized machines that had significantly less capacity due to much smaller hydraulic systems. The lift capacities were 500-600 lbs less, all while being more expensive due to brand name. In some cases 8-10 grand more.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    Maina and farmer steve like this.
  12. Ejp1234

Ejp1234

E95BC248-1E3D-4719-946F-4AA769E95516.jpeg
    exact reason why I bought a kioti too... the spec’s were impressive, and the price was so much more in line. 5yrs later, not a single regret!

Maina, Rush Battle and farmer steve like this.