In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Switched stoves ran into issues

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by kjeremy2, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

I agree....thats why you should have a CO detector. I was really alluding to a different brand other than Simpson.....ICC Excel, for example

2. kjeremy2

kjeremy2

I have a few co detectors. The brand I’m using is pelletvent. Some of the connections aren’t 100% in line but they are locked together. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. kjeremy2

kjeremy2

Yes 3 years ago but I started from scratch so everything was perfect and my wife would kill me if I made another hole in the wall lol. I order flue tape from Amazon just waiting for it too arrive.

stuckinthemuck likes this.
  4. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

What is the clearance to combustibles supposed to be for that pipe? Is that wood baseboard trim? I’m asking as I’m not a pellet guy.

Wonder if you could use something like this to reduce the number of turns and have a more direct route for your exhaust. Obviously this one says it is for a flex liner. Looks like your elbows may already be something like this.

Adjustable Elbow for Flexible Liners

5. kjeremy2

kjeremy2

My elbows don’t flex I tried. I was even thinking a 45 to try and make it a more direct route. That is wood trim. The whole house has it. The clearance for that pipe is 1”

stuckinthemuck likes this.
  6. kjeremy2

kjeremy2

So I bought this and sealed my seams inside the house so I’m hoping this is the answer. Should I also tape the part on the back of the stove where the pipe connects?
    [​IMG]

7. kjeremy2

kjeremy2

Looks good too me and I don’t smell any smoke or weird fumes. The stoves been running for about 10 mins and it still in start up mode. Will update as the time goes on.
    [​IMG]

8. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

I think you will be fine.

kjeremy2 likes this.
  9. imacman

imacman

Rub all the tape down real well with your fingers, trying to get all the wrinkles out.....amazing how small a crack the smoke can find it's way out.

kjeremy2, Rich250 and BHags like this.
  10. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

that collar is jacked and not on square with the stove outlet, but I am guessing you did that because of the limitations of the pipe itself. Yea, that Simpson pipe isn't very flexible, and it doesn't give you much adjustment because of the fact that there are only 4 positions it can sit in while locked (because of how it locks). Other brands of pipe have infinite adjustment because of the fact the they dont utilize the bayonet type of connection. You do appear to have used 4" pipe, so thats good, I just really hate that stove/pipe connection.....this is likely the spot where you'd have the most leakage.
    Also be aware that the foil tape doesnt last forever and will need to be replaced after a bit

imacman, kjeremy2 and stuckinthemuck like this.
  11. kjeremy2

kjeremy2

Thank you, I have taped around the collar and stove pipe connection cause it did produce smoke when starting up. I’m planning on extending my chimney this year so I might but different pipe for the inside and use what I have inside now outside. Will different pipes still attach too each other?

imacman likes this.
  12. imacman

imacman

Not usually.

13. kjeremy2

kjeremy2

Ok thank you

imacman likes this.
  14. don2222

don2222

Ideally the pellet vent pipe should have a 3 foot vertical rise with a clean out T right on the back of the stove. This way if there is a power failure the 3 foot rise develops a natural draft to expel the exhaust for safety. Also the clean out T makes pipe cleaning easy too!

BHags likes this.
  15. don2222

don2222

If you ask me I adore the Selkirk DT, there is nothing better than the most efficient easy to clean and safe pellet venting on the market!
    See pics of this Englander that went straight out and rusted right out! We blocked up that hole and cut a new hole and installed the easy peasy vacuum clean out!
    Also by going straight up inside the house and then out, it is much easier to change stoves and adjust the height of the venting! This can also eliminate back drafts too.
    What to do with rusty outside pellet venting? - Inside DT? Yes Siree!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    moresnow likes this.