In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What to do with rusty outside pellet venting? - Inside DT? Yes Siree!

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by don2222, Nov 12, 2016.

1. don2222

don2222

This old Pellet Stove rusty Venting ! Whoa!
    How about inside up & out Selkirk DT?

Pic 1 - rusty joints
    Pic 2 - Rusty dirty old 3" outside vertical rise pellet vent.
    Pic 3 - Optional Vacuum Cleanout!
    Pic 4 - Nice warmer and dryer air for the burn pot!
    Pic 5 - Up & Out Selkirk DT is right for me!
    Pic 6 - convection blower turned on sooner than with old venting and seperate outside air kit (OAK)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
    SKEETER McCLUSKEY likes this.
  2. don2222

don2222

Hello
    Pic 2 & 3 were unfinished!

The 3 inch DT flex does not fit the 2 inch air inlet pipe on the back of the Englander very well.
    So a couple of adapters and radiator clamp makes a perfect reduction fit!
    See pics 1-2
    Also the walls are 2x3 not 2x4 so I built a frame to screw the outside wall thimble into with 5/4 PFJ = primed finger joint moulding in a 4"x8' piece I had ripped down the middle and cut to approx 4- 12" pieces. Then used high temp silicone to seal it all up from the weather.
    See pic 3
    Then the stove owner spray painted the old brass trim with high temp flat aluminum paint to give it a new modern look.!
    See pics 4-5

This new install corrects 2 problems
    1. The overhang above the venting was all black.
    2. The air intake (OAK) was only a few inches above the deck. Many snowstorms will bury the intake in the snow! See pics of old venting!

The new venting sticks out much father away from the house and overhang with soffit vent and the air intake is also as high up because it is part of the new venting. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016