In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Strange smell in basement and Circuit Panel feels hot next to 100 Amp Main Circuit Breakers!

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by don2222, Apr 2, 2021.

1. don2222

don2222

Hello
    This happened a while ago during the summer but still has some contemporary relevance.
    We got home from vacation so alot of electrical devices got turned on. :)
    It was hot last night and here is a list of what electric appliances were running:
    1. Electric washer
    2. Electric 240vac dryer with aluminum wiring
    3. Three 110vac air conditioners 5x,10k and 12k BTUs
    4. Pool filter pump 110v
    5. Media Center - TV, Media Server, Surround Sound etc.
    6. Desktop Computer
    7. Kitchen Refrigerator
    8. 2 or 3 Ceiling Fans
    9. A few room lights

I would say maybe 60-70 Amps Total. The circuit box is a 23 yo Challenger made by GE and so is the 100 Amp main breaker and most of the other breakers. They do not seem like the best quality since I purchased the box and breakers at Somerville Lumber!
    They are the same shape as square D.

I took the front of the Circuit Panel off and I could feel the main breakers and they were HOT!

The main breaker plastic started melting. The wires from the meter socket were NOT warm.
    Then other breakers started to trip, like the kitchen refrig and room light, then basement light!

What could be the cause?

Tonight I removed the old 100 Amp main and replaced it with a new one. $47 bucks @ Home Depot
    https://www.homedepot.com/s/homeline 100 amp?searchtype=text&NCNI-5
    See pics of old and new below!

Click on pic to enlarge
    CBpanel1-Original100Panel.jpg CBpanel2-Original100Breaker.jpg CBpanel3-NewHD100Breaker.jpg CBpanel4-New100BreakerAllfixed.jpg

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    stuckinthemuck and wildwest like this.
  2. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

Just a quick search and it looks like you are at 25 amps for the electric dryer and 29 amps total for the three air conditioners.. suggest you break down what the individual draw of each appliance was, but it certainly looks like you were over 70 amps..

seems that your electrical system was overloaded. Could be that as it heated up to outside of its rated draw, the breakers started tripping at lower amperage than their rating.. just a guess.. not terribly well versed in it all except for the basic math of adding up the demand of each individual appliance..

Dryer Wattage and Electrical Rating

How Many Amps Does A 5,000 - 18,000 BTU Conditioner Use?

SKEETER McCLUSKEY and JackHammer like this.
  3. Warner

Warner

Somerville lumber, there’s a blast from the past.

4. don2222

don2222

Absolutely that is what 30 years of adding electrical goodies to a house can do!
    Therefore I did a little upgrading.
    1. New 200 amp main panel
    2. New 125 amp sub panel in electrical room
    3. New 30 amp panel in workshop
    4. New 30 amp sub panel in shed
    5. New incoming power digital meter & socket
    6 New weatherhead and wiring up the side of the house and a grounding rod. Not using the incoming water pipe from the street for a ground anymore. LOL
    7. New 300 amp triplex wires from the street to an upgraded telephone pole which is 5 feet higher to meet tractor trailer requirements.
    8. Installed 2 amp meters for monitoring loading.
    How is that? Anything else I should do?
    All inspected by the town electrical inspector. :)

Attached Files:

schlot and stuckinthemuck like this.
  5. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

Yeah, that should do it... was in the middle of typing the below note..

Another issue is insufficient voltage to an appliance.. a few years ago, I was running an air compressor through a standard orange 16 gauge extension cord.. upon turning the compressor on, it would fire up and fill the tank with compressed air. After using some of the air, when it tried to turn in again, it tripped the breaker.. I came to realize that by using too small of a gauge of extension cord, I introduced a voltage drop. the startup power required increased due to the pressure in the tank and when the compressor had to overcome the residual pressure in the tank, the voltage drop caused a increase in the required amps causing the breaker to trip. Solution was a larger gauge extension cord and haven’t had a problem since...

As for your fridge, the problem could also have been caused by a voltage drop because of the overall house demand. That voltage drop could have initiated something similar to my issue above causing the breaker to trip..

It is my understanding that a lot of electrical equipment can be damaged by under voltage or under frequency situation. You did well to upgrade and reduce potential future problems...

SKEETER McCLUSKEY likes this.
  6. don2222

don2222

Oh yes thanks, that is why I ran a sub panel to the workshop so I have the compressor on a separate circuit. The workshop 230 VAC air conditioner is on a separate circuit and of course the 50 amp plasma cutter & welder is on a separate circuit too!

stuckinthemuck likes this.
  7. huskihl

huskihl

Are there any Scotchloks inside there? LOL

SKEETER McCLUSKEY and Warner like this.
  8. don2222

don2222

9. huskihl

huskihl

10. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

Check for lose electrical connections. Lose connections cause a lot of heat.