In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Mahindra 4540 4WD

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by thewoodlands, Aug 3, 2016.

1. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

Hammy, T.Jeff Veal and Well Seasoned like this.
  2. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

Since tomorrow will be a rainy day, I'll be making spaghetti sauce in the morning and the stuffed shells for supper.

After I get done the sauce, the wife is making some Utica Greens, this is really good.

UTICA GREENS

This recipe for Utica greens comes from Janet Chanatry of Chanatry’s supermarket in Utica, which has held strong against larger competition.

1 large head escarole
    2 tbsp olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    4 thin slices prosciutto, chopped
    2 Italian long hot peppers, seeded and julienned
    1/2 cup bread crumbs
    1/4 cup pecorino Romano cheese, grated
    1 cup chicken broth
    salt and pepper (to taste)

Clean and rinse escarole twice; chop in large pieces. Boil down for 5 or 6 minutes so it’s tender and wilted.

Place olive oil in a saute pan and heat. Add chopped garlic and prosciutto and render for 2 or 3 minutes. Do not burn garlic.

Add seeded peppers and cook another minute or so.

Add the escarole and all the other ingredients in the pan. Gradually add the bread crumbs and grated cheese, tossing gently until blended. Taste for final salt and pepper seasoning. Place in a casserole; sprinkle a little of the bread crumbs.

Place under a broiler for 3-4 minutes. Serve hot.

3. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

That recipe looks authentic and delicious! I do hope you take pics!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  4. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

The spaghetti sauce is simmering and the shells we'll make later on.

5. Well Seasoned

Sounds great! Made some home made meatballs a few minutes ago, shortly they'll go in the oven to rest on a plate of orecchiette no.92, complimented with a nice pesto sauce! Pics will follow in a few hours!

:stirpot:

6. Well Seasoned

The goods are gone! Hope you enjoy your feast Woody!

20190828_175644.jpg

Chvymn99, T.Jeff Veal, Chaz and 3 others like this.
  7. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

Before they came out of the oven the wife was sitting at the table so I took them out two minutes early. The stuffed shells and the Utica greens were excellent, this was the first time cooking the stuffed shells, we'll be cooking them again. :drool::thumbs::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

Attached Files:

Chvymn99, T.Jeff Veal, Chaz and 4 others like this.
  8. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

Looks great Well Seasoned , we were brought up eating meatballs that were cooked in a thinner sauce.

9. Well Seasoned

Triple LIKE! That looks amazing!! :drool:

:drool::drool::drool:

10. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I didn't take any pictures today but I got rid of 3 small pines and took three loads of branches (most branches were from some previous work) to the wood dump.

With a bunch of rain coming in, tomorrow I'll move more wood over to the fireplace so I can get rid of it after the rain.

There's a bad accident up in our area, three different squads are at the scene with the road being shutdown.

The last I heard, two were stable and the third was still getting CPR.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    T.Jeff Veal, Hammy and Well Seasoned like this.
  11. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I used the 4540 with the forks and I took two trailer loads of pine branches and downed pine to the wood dump. The area in front of the 4540 down to the dirt is opened up for a tractor or UTV trail.

This area will be used for snow storage so our driveway doesn't get narrow down on that end if we have a a lot of snow.

Attached Files:

12. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Looks good,

Chaz, Well Seasoned and thewoodlands like this.
  13. Well Seasoned

Nice to have a place to put snow. Decent fall so far eh? We're nearly 3 weeks past when we started burning last year! Almost a half cord savings Already

Thor, Chaz, thewoodlands and 2 others like this.
  14. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

It's been a great fall but I was hoping that I would be burning more pine since we have a chit load. Our first three years living here, we didn't have enough room for all the snow so like an idiot, I filled in the lower driveway without even thinking if we had a fire how the FD get to the other side of the house. Hopefully we won't need the FD but if we do, the lower driveway will be wide open.

15. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

The 4540 has 970 some hours on it and the last storm had rain and then over a foot of snow so all those extra areas I made for snow worked out pretty good.

Just a couple of not so great pics of night plowing.

Attached Files:

16. Well Seasoned

Sounds like your making really good use of the tractor having those hrs on it.... nice!

You plow, wife makes seasoned potatoes, even nicer! Good deal! :drool:

My neighbor, whom lives in Ct has a camp down the road from us. He picked up a mahindra and is keeping it in my pole barn for the winter, since a few days after buying it, we were getting snow already. It's been in there all winter.... I start it for him every weekend for about 15 minutes. I really like it- backhoe and all. Your pictures reminded me how how nice the lights are on these machines, having dual led's

What else you been up to buddy?

Chaz, yooperdave and thewoodlands like this.
  17. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

Not much at all, we've only had the sleds out twice for a total of 40 miles, what have you been doing this winter?

That dish is chicken and potatoes in a chicken broth, my grandmother on my father's side would make it with fresh baked Italian bread.

How has Dawn been?

Any coronavirus in your state yet? We have a private college about 20 miles from here that are bringing back 15 kids from Italy but are sending them home, we have a few kids from this town that go to that college there but I'm not sure if they have been in Italy, stay safe.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  18. Well Seasoned

We're good.... recovering from a whiplash of a winter so far!

We had a scare about a month ago, student that went to wuhan China from the white mountain school in Bethlehem nh (next town over) that had flu symptoms. Sent sample to CDC for testing, came back ok. I just saw reports coming ot of NYC that a girl mid 30s just got back from Iran and tested positive. Great! :headbang: How many ppl she in contact with? Ugggg!

IMO, all those kids should go into quarantine for some time, and if quarantine is at home, then the parents or anyone there should stay put as a cautionary measure.

There is a thread about it here if your interested. You stay safe too! Be glad you live where you do!

Corona virus- what say you?

Chaz and yooperdave like this.
  19. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

Picture 0056 & 0057 is the newest snow storage area I made last fall, usually that snow would be at the end of the driveway, 0058 was made last fall but I still need to remove a few stumps so I didn't use it much for snow storage and 0063 is down in the woods past the new garage and 0064 is behind the garage above the garage.

Attached Files:

Chaz, yooperdave and Well Seasoned like this.
  20. Well Seasoned

It's definitely nice to have a place to put it! We both know it can really add up in our areas.

Here in front of the house it gets pushed and kept open for the dogs and the tractor with loads of wood to be brought in....

20200302_121228.jpg

From the driveway into 2 spots.....

20200302_121316.jpg
    20200302_121357.jpg

The way down to the pole barn....

20200302_121528.jpg

Everything from the pole barn roof dumps in the rear. About 5.5 ft deep back there....

20200302_121647.jpg

Chaz, thewoodlands and yooperdave like this.