In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Fiskars 6lb maul

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by dave_026, Nov 30, 2020.

1. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

I think what I don't like about the 8lb isocore is the feedback you get from the handle. I much prefer the crisp, clean, pop from the x27. I also found it too heavy to swing with speed. It felt more like a sledge to me where the best way to "swing" it was not to swing at all and instead drop it down like a sledge.

Anything I can't split with the x27 within reason gets split with the wedge and the sledge. Anything I don't think will split with the wedge and sledge I set aside for the hydro splitter pile. Easy!

2. Cheepbeer

Cheepbeer

Well, I bought the 8# last December and used it a bit and found it to be too heavy. I’m 65 now and now they bring out the 6. I’ve been using the x27 for most of my splitting tasks. I just don't know how long I can beat it with a hammer though. Lately, I've been using the maul more and more.

I think when the 6's become more available, I'll put the 8 and the x25 up for sale. I'm also transitioning from my 8lb short handle hammer to a 6.

LordOfTheFlies likes this.
  3. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

How about picking up a vintage wedge on eBay like I did? I found one in my garage, cleaned it up, put an edge on it, and instantly fell in love with it.

I find using a wedge in combo with the Isocore sledge to be quite useful. You can just use your 8# Isocore maul as a sledge......

Here's my thread on my wedge restoration. It's a Warren-Teed 5lb wedge. They don't make 'em like they used to. The one I found in my garage is from the 1940s when the house was built!

Found pics of my wedge restoration

4. Cheepbeer

Cheepbeer

I’ve got wedges, haven’t used them in years. If I’m swinging an axe or a maul and it sticks, it’s the wedge. I’ve never seen the sense of sticking a maul, fighting with it to get it unstuck, then trying to hit the same spot again. As for the wedges, the last time they were used, they were buried in an elm round. Took a chainsaw to get ‘em out.

LordOfTheFlies and Ronaldo like this.
  5. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

I like the idea of a 6 pound maul. For someone like myself it would be easier to control for splitting and taking it to the mountains to drive wedges when falling trees.

6. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

I broke my cheap plastic handled Home Depot maul by hammering it with a small sledge. Learned my lesson not to do that again.

7. Cheepbeer

Cheepbeer

Yup, I've got one of those 4lbrs with the cheeks on it. Didn't last very long.
    I've been beatin' on mauls for 40 years and the one 8lb I've got has taken most of it. Lightened it up a lb with some shaping with the grinder. It's got a pull through eye, like a pick. I have no idea what makes me try other ones, but I've got an affliction.

Midwinter likes this.
  8. Cheepbeer

Cheepbeer

Well...I've resigned to the fact that I'm not spending any more money on mauls. I've found, if I choke up on the isocore, it works a lot better for me. It's made to take a beat down, too.