In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Convection Fan

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by brokenwing, Nov 15, 2017.

1. ohbix

ohbix

The motor end has two bearings which can be replaced. I was able to replace them w/out any special tools.

2. brokenwing

brokenwing

My motor has a shaft coming out that goes into the squirrel cage held in place by a set screw! The only bearing we saw was on the opposite end that sat in a rubber bushing. The stove is a pain to take apart, but when it dies I will go back over it and take another look.

imacman, jtakeman and ivanhoe like this.
  3. imacman

imacman

The motors have to have 2 bearings.....probably have to take it apart to get to the other one.

brokenwing and ivanhoe like this.
  4. badbob

badbob

The bearing replacement in your motor should be very simulacra to this---

imacman, brokenwing and ivanhoe like this.
  5. ohbix

ohbix

The hardest step is breaking loose the set screw by the motor. You will need a long allen wrench, and in my case I needed to add a handle extension for leverage. Once you remove the bracket and the impeller, you can access the bearings in the motor.

imacman, brokenwing and ivanhoe like this.
  6. brokenwing

brokenwing

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate everyone here, I have no problem admitting if I do not know something. I have never taken a motor apart like that, and the video was a huge help for me to understand the concept that you all were pointing out. I wished I would of asked more questions before putting it back together lol. Now time to decide if I am going to tear it all down again, she has been quiet the last week as I stated it is a intermittent problem!:hair:Thanks again:yes:

7. ohbix

ohbix

DSCF4499.JPG DSCF4500.JPG DSCF4501.JPG DSCF4503.JPG DSCF4506.JPG DSCF4504.JPG DSCF4509.JPG DSCF4512.JPG I shall attempt to post pictures; just replaced bearings on my fan. Steps: 1. remove the bracket to which the motor is attached - loosen the set screw (this can be a challenge - need long allen wrench and possibly a small socket over the end for leverage), then the screws holding the mounting plate to the rest of the fan bracket. 2. remove the motor from the bracket (phillips screws) 3. remove the dust cover, snap ring and two spring washers - I used a leather awl along the inside raised edge of the dust cover to gradually work it loose. This way I have yet to damage the dust cover; going from the outside is more likely to bend it. Should you end up prying it out and possibly damaging it, then just use a bit of high temp silicone to fill the hole and secure it when reassembling. As to the snap ring, the first time I used two awls and language to get it out; now I use mini snap ring pliers purchased at Harbor Freight. 4. pull apart the two sections of the motor. You will see a bearing in the silver metal end and the red plastic end of the one section. 5. remove the bearings. I use a flat edge screwdriver passed thru the hole to tap against the inside edge of the far bearing. Be careful not to touch the sides and tap along the inner bearing edge. Another tool you can try is a bones bearing puller for skateboards. 6. press in new bearings. I use thumbs, then fully seat it by placing a socket which contacts the bearing on the outer race (be careful not to use one too small) and gently tapping around the edge of the socket. 7. replace the spring washers (check curve orientation - should be () and the snap ring (I use a new one). To seat the snap ring you can use a socket or press around the edge w/ a flat edge screwdriver until it pops into the shaft groove - it should compress the spring washers. 8. slide the two motor sections back together. 9. attach the motor to the bracket edge, then attach the bracket to the impeller and rest of the bracket. Tighten the set screw on the impeller/motor shaft. 10. If you want to access the bearing in the rubber grommet, after you remove the motor from the impeller, just push the rubber grommet into the center of the bracket. It is a shape fit, no force required. Then pop it off the bearing. 11. reassembled fan; dated w/ bearings used. Done! I'll add the grommet pictures in a second post.

8. ohbix

ohbix

rubber grommet and bearing pictures: yes I cleaned it up before reassembly.

DSCF4507.JPG DSCF4508.JPG

imacman, badbob, Skier76 and 4 others like this.
  9. Skier76

Skier76

Wow! Outstanding work! I was just in there recently to grease the non motor end bearing. I'll post pics shortly in the other thread I created.

10. badbob

badbob

What an excellent pictorial tutorial!You are awesome!

11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe

I've taken the Gleason Avery exhaust motor apart to check what bearings in them, NH 608RS.

Attached Files:

badbob, PelletHound, Rich250 and 2 others like this.
  12. brokenwing

brokenwing

Hey all I am back and want to first of all ty for the above post with the disassembly instructions. With that said unfortunately I am layed up and need surgery and the motor quit. I have a family member that will put a new one in for me, but there is confusion on what to order so bear with me and hope this will make sense.
    I first contacted Enviro convection blower 50-2481 and they told me that the convection blower will only work in Enviro and not to order it. I then found this company Enviro M55, VF55 & Regency GC60 Convection Blower 80MM (50-2481) same part number that says it will fit a regency gc60 pellet stove.
    Last but not least woodsman stove parts lists both assemblies with different measurements so I am torn on what to order! I hope this makes a little sense but if not I will try to explain better, ty!
    Regency Stove Convection Fan
    Pellet Stove Convection Blower
    http://rs.woodmanspartsplus.com/company_41/Convection Blowers and Gaskets.pdf

imacman and ivanhoe like this.
  13. badbob

badbob

First,your blower is a high quality unit.The capacitor keeps motor hum down,throughout the speeds,and prolongs windings life.Second,I have seen so many cheap china bearings fail,sometimes just from people tapping them in with a hard tool.Third,are you sure it is the motor?Check voltage to it.Also,the capacitors do fail,but can be purchased separately.Fourth,Don has some old ones,he may rebearing one and send it to you,as you are injured and in need,He is a good guy. For Sale - Used Enviro M55 / Hampton GC-60 FS or Insert Convection Blower just needs new bearings!

14. badbob

badbob

15. brokenwing

brokenwing

I called Ebmpapst and they advised me that motor is proprietary and can only be sold to Sherwood industries. I think at this point I will just bite the bullet and order the $400 motor from the woodsman website. I know the bearing is shot in the motor and the new one comes with a new capacitor so I can have a family member just bolt it up and go. I wish I new if that website is correct because it would be $100 cheaper!

imacman, badbob and ivanhoe like this.
  16. badbob

badbob

Sorry about your health,get well quick.Hope you found a better deal,or,at least,are up and running/staying warm.Save old unit,one of us can fix it for you,if you cannot,in the future.Stay warm.

17. brokenwing

brokenwing

Hey all, I know this thread has been going in forever, I just wanted to thank everyone again for there help. The new motor is up and running great, I can not believe how quiet it is. The old motor is boxed up and when I get back on my feet, using the info provided here I will replace the bad bearing and have it as a back up if the motor tests ok. Once again ty all!

eatonpcat, ivanhoe and imacman like this.