In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Cleaning Grill grates with Soda Blasting like the Statue of Liberty

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by don2222, Jun 25, 2023.

1. don2222

don2222

Hello
    Cleaning BBQ greasy grill grates is alway a hassle! Just touching them leaves grease all over your hands!!
    First I always get the big stuff off with a grill brush. :)
    Therefore there is a way to clean BBQ grill grates like they cleaned the Statue of Liberty with Bicarbonate Soda!! It actually seems to work very well!!
    This larger 40lb HF soda blaster has a range of 35-90 PSI so I set the Soda Blaster at 60 PSI using High Flow couplers. :)
    https://www.harborfreight.com/40-lb-portable-soda-blaster-60801.html
    Got a 50 lb bag of Arm & Hammer Armex Soda Medium Grade for $49.99 from Harbor Freight
    https://www.harborfreight.com/50-lbs-medium-grade-armex-soda-blast-media-65929.html
    It was so humid today! Luckily I switched on the Desiccant air dryer to keep the nozzle from clogging! Soda blasting is gentle on the parts but does clog the nozzle easily if there is not enough CFM and the air has to be cool!
    Anyway, it does work well if your air compressor is from 15 to 25 CFM minimum!!
    See video of Harbor Freight soda blaster
    https://m.youtube.com/shorts/17Fi1gDkHDU
    Pic 1-2 Stainless Steel grates before soda blasting
    Pic 3-4 Harbor Freight Soda Blaster
    Pic 5-6 After soda blasting
    Pic 7 - Marinated Sally G’s BBQ Steak Tips!
    Pic 8 - Chinese & Garlic & Cheese Sausage
    From >> Browse All Meat « The Prime Butcher

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2023
  2. don2222

don2222

In the Pines, Eckie and 41FanForLife like this.
  3. woody5506

woody5506

soda blasting is definitely a way to make quick work of something like stainless grill grates plus it's food safe. I own a blast/paint shop and what I'd do since i have it at my disposal is hit them with plastic media and it would clean exactly the same (no finish or "etch" left on the steel) however I'd definitely say soda is the safer option here as far as being food safe. Either way, good way to clean for those of us with the equipment but most people aren't going to spend the money to do it.

4. don2222

don2222

stuckinthemuck likes this.
  5. don2222

don2222

Attached Files:

stuckinthemuck likes this.
  6. woody5506

woody5506

Wow, using soda to remove coal tar (epoxy I assume they mean) must have been a miserable job...That's heavy stuff, probably took forever to get through it with soda. Makes sense it was in the 80s though it was a very common epoxy to use back then. I don't see it as much in job specs these days but it's still around and used.

don2222 and stuckinthemuck like this.