In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Anyone else here run a pellet grill?

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by Elderthewelder, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Highbeam

Highbeam

I grilled some frozen burger patties last night on the gasser and am I correct that the pellet grill is very capable of this low level of basic cooking without drawbacks?

Do you guys leave pellets in the hopper between short grill sessions like this so that it is always ready to go? Does anybody leave their pellet grilles on the patio without or with cover? I have a low and deep eave that I roll my grills under between cooks but this PG100 is like 250# and I might want to leave it out in the rain if that is not taboo.

Elderthewelder likes this.
  2. bobdog2o02

bobdog2o02

I leave mine outside for going on a year now, no cover but i i would like to find a cover that fits it, just havent yet. Its an odd size and i dont want extra cover flapping in the wind and getting torn up. That said keep in mind it has BIG wheels and rolls rally easy on flat surfaces. Mine is showing surface rust, itll get some new paint in spring, i think this cover for the fast eddy frill would fit nicely. Fast Eddy's PG500 Pellet Grill Cover : FireCraft PV028 as far as pellets, i leave em in the hopper, but i use it alo, like weekly even in the winter. I keep the pellets just inside the house in a 5 gallon bucket and add as needed. Check out this thread for more reading Pellet Grill Thermal Blanket? | Page 2 | Firewood Hoarders Club

Highbeam likes this.
  3. jtstromsburg

jtstromsburg

Had my gmg for about two and a half years I think. It stays out year round, most times with its cover on it. That said, I left the cover off this week and we had 10" of snow and 50mph winds. Turned power on to it from garage, then using the remote Turned the pellet smoker on to 225f from inside the kitchen, prepped a pile of country ribs and ...yum![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Highbeam likes this.
  4. Triple A Arsenal

Triple A Arsenal

I leave mine outside with the cover they sell for it. Englanders website has them.

I also leave my hopper filled although some say the pellets get funny. It is possible they jam the auger with temperature changes I guess. I leave mine in all the time and do have the auger jam up once in awhile. I can't prove its from the pellets I leave in the hopper as they look fine.
    I used to roll it inside but I use it a lot and began to be too much work. I have a bbq canopy and the cover and she sits pretty protected from rain and snow.

bobdog2o02 likes this.
  5. Elderthewelder

Elderthewelder

I guess I am the odd guy out here, I keep mine in the garage when not in use. I am in a area that receives heavy rain and have heard and read that if your pellets get wet, especially the ones in the auger they turn into a cement like substance that i do not want to deal with

yes you can grill burgers,steaks on a pellet grill, I have pics of this on page 1 of this thread. Some grills do it better than others the Englander has that direct flame area and well do burgers with no issues

6. Highbeam

Highbeam

The wife told me to order a PG100 for V-day. I don't know, I'm chicken.

7. Elderthewelder

Elderthewelder

Cool, you ain't got the order placed yet?:whistle: order the grill and take the wife out to a nice restaurant Sunday

8. bobdog2o02

bobdog2o02

Do it, Do it. Then order some quality pellets. Ive had good luck with the traegers. The grill comes with 20 or 40 pounds of pellets. They were good too.

9. Triple A Arsenal

Triple A Arsenal

The pellets it came with didn't have good smoke results. I wonder who makes the pellets for them, I am sure they are just rebranded.

10. bobdog2o02

bobdog2o02

I used them mainly for grilling.... so there's that.

11. Triple A Arsenal

Triple A Arsenal

Let me know if you have any questions once you get it. It's unlike most pellet grills because of how many zones it has. Which is a great thing, I even have some accessories for it I'm wiling to sell.

bobdog2o02 likes this.
  12. Triple A Arsenal

Triple A Arsenal

Ahh gottcha, the grilling zone is a great feature.
    That gets hotter than my propane grill.

bobdog2o02 likes this.
  13. bobdog2o02

bobdog2o02

And those accessories would be....?

14. Triple A Arsenal

Triple A Arsenal

I have the warmer that goes on top , extra rack, and some replacement parts like auger motor, auger, wheels, etc.

15. Elderthewelder

Elderthewelder

not a fan! Do a online search regarding Treager pellets and flavored oils and east coast vs west coast manufacturing of Treager pellets

16. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Thank you for this thread, great info!

17. Triple A Arsenal

Triple A Arsenal

Yeah I don't run any rebranded pellets, what pellets do you like?

18. Elderthewelder

Elderthewelder

I was using Green Mountain pellets they are very good and are readily available from your Green Mountain dealer, now i use LumberJacks, there is a local guy over on pelletheads that puts on group buys a couple times a year , last one I was involved with we ordered 2 tons direct from the manufacturer. They are great pellets and available in many flavors
    BBQ Grilling Wood Pellets | BBQ Pellets for Grilling For Sale

19. Fireplace911

Fireplace911

diddo, love my Traeger. I have had mine for 3.5 years now and love it. We cook everything on it.

20. Triple A Arsenal

Triple A Arsenal

Pork rib end, smoked with lumberjack pellets.

image.jpeg

Fireplace911 likes this.