In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Amount of cords in load of logs

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Yawner, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Yawner

Yawner

I can't find the answer by searching. Curious how you determine how many logs (not trees) of a certain size it takes to make a cord. Or how many cords in a log (that would be a big one!). Any help? I'm talking about stems, like the logs a tractor trailer hauls to the mill. Now, the stems have a taper, they're wider at the butt than at the tip. It would be easy if there was no taper.

What got me to thinking about it is some people buy loads of logs from a logger. Wondering how they figure out how many cords are there.

2. Blstr88

Blstr88

I think there's too many variables to say "1 load = X cord"...

Type of trees, size of truck, how well they're stacked in...lot of variables.

I buy my wood by the grapple load. He brings me a truck full of mostly oak with maple and beech mixed in. All about 16' long, good size wood but nothing massive. It's always between 8-9 cord. Say 8.5 +\- a little.

YMMV though depending on your guy.

3. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

4. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

i use this chart Yawner

https://extension.unh.edu › resources › files › Resource001044_Rep1200

dont know how accurate it is. Never really tried when i harvest a standing tree. Based on what ive seen on here, a ten cord load of logs comes out to 7-8 cords of splits.

5. Yawner

Yawner

BZB, why would the splits be less, seems splits would stack to be more? OTOH, I wonder how does the logger come up with "ten cords?"

The standing tree calculators don't work for this question, I am needing to know how to figure out how much wood is in a stem, a log with no limbs on it. Say, a 16 ft or 30 ft log (or however long logs come) with a butt end (or small end) of x-diameter. Like, if we found out in a 16 ft log with 20 inch diameter butt end, it's x-cords.

BTW, wood will shrink when drying, but then you have the air space in stacks that takes up room, so, maybe those two cancel out?

6. Warner

Warner

I once ask a guy how many cord of firewood are in his truck load? He said I don’t know cut split and stack it then let me know.

As people have said to many variables. My usual rule of thumb is 20 foot log lengths packed tight is 8 ish cord 16 foot lengths 6ish cord. That’s pretty rough tho.

7. Warner

Warner

D3F37C24-8986-4F0C-8D17-63C93B64B76B.jpeg This was by far the best load I have gotten yet. I say it was 8 cord. Never measured it

8. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Sometimes the loggers guesstimate to a point, no exact science but after memory and sawing logs for a living they can get a good idea of it. But down to a split or two? It’s a pretty round figure to guess.

9. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

im going by what ive seen posted here Yawner A few members show pics of their load of logs before and after.
    Look at Warner s picture of the log load. All that air space between the logs. If that load was CS and stacked on the same truck the splits would fill up a lot of the air space. Take a box of loose crackers and turn them into crumbs, same idea only the crackers are filled by weight, not volume.
    If you look carefully at the chart from the link it reads (in small print) "assume 4" top diameter" so i dont think it includes harvesting branches/tops.

10. billb3

billb3

Those two requests are hardly the same.

You can't find the formula for calculating the volume of a cylinder online ? Really ?

For an imperfect cylinder just average the result from the calculation found by either end of the log.
    You could employ calculus and factor in the measured rate of change from stem to stern but no one in their right mind would do that to get an estimate of volume. For firewood, nor pulp.

11. Yawner

Yawner

There's no need to get smartass about it. I posted it because this world is awash in information, it's astounding how just about everything you want to know, the answer is on the internet. I would think that somebody somewhere has this very answer via a lookup table or a formula of some sort. If not, members on here know just about everything there is to know about firewood. And, yes, I searched for the answer before posting.

12. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Pump the brakes fellas.
    That’s all I’m gonna say. :salute:

13. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Yawner , 10 "logger cord" will stack out about 8.5 cord after css. Log loads lose volume just as buZZsaw BRAD stated. If you wish to figure on tree/stem simply use the formula for volume of a cylinder. If you take 4-5 measurements up the stem & average them you'll be really close. I've even been real close just guessing at avg diameter by eye.

Eric VW and papadave like this.