In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

A couple of bar & chain ?s

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Marshel54, Jul 7, 2017.

  1. Marshel54

    Marshel54

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2016
    Messages:
    1,664
    Likes Received:
    12,920
    Location:
    Ohio
    My saw stalled out while cutting a log. I took the bar and chain off and had to free up the cog at the end of the bar. Lubed it good and put a brand new chain on. After I had the chain on the bar I noticed that the bar was upside down. Does it matter?
    Does noodling dull up a cross cut chain faster? Any good source for a rip chain for my Poulan?
    Checking for a bent bar? Do I take the bar off and lay a straight edge across it?
    The saw is not cutting as easy as it use to since it jammed up. Maybe the wood I am into now.
    Got rained out and plan to hit the chain with the file and clean the saw since I can't cut.
     
  2. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Bar is reversible and should be flipped occasionally..... it helps the bar wear more evenly. Kinda like rotating your vehicle tires. Which reminds me, I need to do that.
    You should also clean up or "dress" the rails with a file where the chain rides. Clean out the groove too if you'd like. And the oil holes.
     
  3. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,640
    Likes Received:
    130,635
    Location:
    Vermont
    is your cog at the end of the bar free spinning now? is it a replaceable tip or a hard nose?
     
    Chvymn99, Shawn Curry and papadave like this.
  4. Marshel54

    Marshel54

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2016
    Messages:
    1,664
    Likes Received:
    12,920
    Location:
    Ohio
    It is hard nosed. I had it spinning freely after it bond up. Into cleaning mode now I will see if it is still free, if not may be time for a new bar.
    If it is bond up, I will have to investigate bars. Saw is only about 9 months old and don't know if it is warranted. If not it won't get an OEM bar.
     
  5. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    I turn the bar over every time I change chains.
     
  6. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    You probably just have some wood chips jammed in the sprocket. The easiest way to clear that is to leave the chain right on and jam the teeth down on a log then work it back and forwards until it starts moving again, and then blip the throttle to blast out the rest.

    To help prevent it from happening in the first place, adjust your chain tension to take up the slack.

    You don't need a milling chain for noodling. See my thread here: ;)Noodling - a How-to
     
    walt, papadave, Chvymn99 and 2 others like this.