In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

You guys know I like a new toy.....

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by Chickenman, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Chickenman

Chickenman

Our mechanic always complains that we use our Audi A3 during our work out in the field.
    He calls the Audi a cowchaser due to the mud and excreta that builds up underneath.
    We have a big job up North is a month that will require 2 weeks of working in the outback which is effectively the desert, 15 miles from the nearest house.
    So I have bitten the bullet and bought a new work bus. I like to travel in relative style and just couldnt lower myself to a Toyota Landcruiser, plus I couldn't afford it.
    So check out the new weapon that I bought for 4,000 USD. Havent owned a V8 for 30 years so I feel like a kid driving this beast!!!!

Jeep Commander 2006 | Cars, Vans & Utes | Gumtree Australia Geelong City - Grovedale | 1154707612

ivanhoe, slvrblkk, HDRock and 8 others like this.
  2. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE

Nice!!

ivanhoe, slvrblkk and jtakeman like this.
  3. Chickenman

Chickenman

Dont think the ad link worked so here are some pics of the beast.
    Even has a $3000 roo bar, which I should have on the truck :mad:

jeep1.jpg jeep3.jpg jeep2.jpg

kappel15, ivanhoe, slvrblkk and 9 others like this.
  4. heat seeker

heat seeker

Very nice! Except the steering wheel is on the wrong side...:rofl: :lol:

5. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

Now there's something you don't see on cars around here.....ROO BARS!!

Nice looking ride, Chickenman!

6. imacman

imacman

Nah, he just got the pic reversed by accident......everyone knows the wheel is supposed to be on the left to be correct. :D

7. Chickenman

Chickenman

Nah guys, It is RIGHT hand drive. Not WRONG hand drive :australia:

8. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

in Texas called bull bars

ivanhoe, slvrblkk, imacman and 2 others like this.
  9. Chickenman

Chickenman

Yeah here too but I have never run into a bull. Cleaned a few hoppers though.

ivanhoe, slvrblkk, imacman and 4 others like this.
  10. leoht

leoht

I remember when I was a kid we were traveling on one of our outback trips in dads new at the time 1988 Nissan GQ Patrol with the bull bar that dad and I built.

One night on a long stretch of road appeared a cow, standing in the middle of the road.

Dad hit the breaks and stopped just short of the rather large and stunned bovine. The cow then proceeded to turn and walk strait in to the bull bar.

That bull bar has hit plenty of Roos wallabies and emu's over 29 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    ivanhoe, subsailor, slvrblkk and 4 others like this.
  11. Chickenman

Chickenman

Cool Leo.
    Us Aussies are good at MacGyvering stuff. :thumbs:

12. Chickenman

Chickenman

So there is a bit of a saga running on the vehicles now :confused::confused:
    The Jeep now sit immovable at the mechanics as we found that the front drive shaft CV is stuffed and you guessed it , none in Australia. :p
    So it might take 2 weeks to get the new CV, only $150 (only $35 USD where you are) but what a pain. THe mechanic said that otherwise the Jeep is in fantastic condition which is nice as I drive past looking at it in the yard.....

So that is the Jeep, now the Saab.
    Son left it at the local train station over night whilst at Uni in Melbourne. On return we find some numbskull has cut a hole in the convertible roof, got in and wrecked the ignition barrel with a pair of screwdrivers. One thing that you have to hand to Saab is they are impossible to steal without the chipped key. The downside to that is the replacement cost of the barrel and key is greater than the value of the car.
    So we have given it to a Saab wrecker so at least other owners can get parts for their dying dinosaurs, kept the battery and gained the 2 screwdrivers left by the druggy wonkers.

Means I have to drive Chirpy the Cheapheat van (You know the song," There she was just a walkin down the street - OO AHH chirpy chirpy cheapheat") or ride the FJR. The suns startin to shine, the stove orders are dwindling, time to ride:fart:

ivanhoe and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  13. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Chickenman if ya need small Saab parts let me know I got a resource in the states 2 keys and ignition used 10 bucks... My grandfather sold them for 40 years... in late 80s they were over 20% of registered vehicles in my state.. because they are heavy... can go in snow... and can handle the curves like on great ocean road going up hill..

14. Chickenman

Chickenman

Thanks for that.
    But the old Saab is heading for the great stripper in the sky. WE are doing our bit to keep the rest of the Saabs of Australia going.
    The steering rack was cactus so that in itself was worth more than the car. The ignition was the icing on the cake. The problem here is that to reflash a new key means get the car 150km to the nearest computer. Just getting to hard to bother really. I still have my Scania truck so I havent deserted the family completely. I sometimes think about buying one of the last 9-5 Aeros to keep but it is pointless really as us Saabophiles are a dying breed so the cars will all be worthless in a few years. Shame really, I've owned 6 over the years (+ 4 Volvos) and view each with fond memories; from gutless 9-5 wagon to insanely dangerous 9000 Aero and all in between. My chiropractor has just lashed out and bought a 900T, I had one new, was a stupid car even then. Great fun though. Would I get another now, no way!
    Maybe the Jeep is the start of a new romance with a dud company. Out here they describe Jeeps as the crazy girlfriend; good to look at but keep the knives locked away! Time will tell.
    The good news is that I tracked down another CV for the Jeep in QLD which is now installed and the Jeep will be off for rego this week.
    In 3 weeks the Jeep gets its first run as we do some irrigator installation. Ballarat, Vic to Ti Tree, NT to Monto QLD, to Ballarat. Have a look on google it is a fair old drive and I will be polishing up the bullbar as it is full boar hopper territory.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  15. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Yup been to ballerat.. and the heart.. good luck on the Jeeps.. parts are expensive and always need them.. I just wish we could get ute here great vehicles..

IHATEPROPANE likes this.
  16. Chickenman

Chickenman

Now with the advent of this internet thingy the prices and availability of car parts has plummeted as wholesalers can no longer just rip you off coz you don't know any better. A mate of mine with a Maserati Quattroporte was quoted $250 for an oil filter, bought it off eBay for $20 including postage. :p
    Jeep is now on the road and I am loving the V8 rumble. Makes me feel like an 18 y/o again. Mind you the fuel consumption is appalling but will take about 100,000 miles to make up the difference considering the purchase price compared to other makes.
    Just had a week near the snow at Corryong doing a centre pivot and off to Ti Tree in the NT in 10 days for another. Still selling the odd stove but the weather has turned so it is time to change my fire hat to my water hat.:singingintherain:

imacman and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  17. Chickenman

Chickenman

Always give our cars a name. We have decided that since it is a Austrian built tough American we will call it Arnie.
    That is who you guys should have elected prez :rofl: :lol:

18. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

got to be USA born...

IHATEPROPANE, heat seeker and imacman like this.
  19. Chickenman

Chickenman

Back from the NT.
    All went well until a stuff up on the last day saw one span collapse. Bugger! Note to self; double check important stuff yourself and dont expect the locals to do as you say.:faint: IMG_20170922_102424.jpg IMG_20170922_152443.jpg IMG_20170922_152446.jpg
    Means another 4 days of driving to take parts back to finish in one or two days.
    Jeep performed well in the sand see pic below. Ran rings around the Hiluxes on the same job. Problem was that we had never driven it in hot weather and as soon it got hot on the road, so did it. We had to drive along with the windows down the A/C off and the the heater on full bore to keep it cool. After 1,000 miles non stop of this at 95 degrees F it was getting pretty tedious. Then the same thing to come back.
    Called the mechanic about it and he said just pop around to a radiator place to sort it. That was 200 miles away. Anyway my Chinese engineer Chuck and I are real men so we grit our teeth and cannonballed home. All is good.
    So the Jeep is getting a few new bit courtesy of eBay and it will be ready to go back in about a month with a 22' pipe on the roof, just legal too.
    Off to Italy for a fortnight with the missus on Wednesday. Having dinner in Florence with our stove control supplier. Our accountant wont let me write the trip off to business. No fair.....

slvrblkk, imacman and IHATEPROPANE like this.