In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Thinking About Bowhunting Again - Getting Restarted?

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by lukem, Nov 17, 2016.

1. lukem

lukem

There are plenty of big bucks on the property I hunt, but every year they go into total recluse mode about 2 weeks before gun season only moving late at night or the wee hours of the morning. Gun season also sucks for me more and more every year because I have virtually no time with my kid's basketball seasons...the time change stealing an hour of daylight in the evening, etc. Bowhunting is starting to make a lot more sense. Bowhunting could also open up at least 2 more properties for me to hunt as well.

I bowhunted in high school and college, but I gave it up (really for no good reason) about 15 years ago. I got rid of all of my gear so I'm going to be starting over.

There's a good pro-shop right down the road that sells most of the big brands that I'm going to visit, but I really don't know where to start.

I want to keep it at or under a grand for everything (bow, sights, rest, quiver, arrows, broadheads, etc, etc, etc. I want to buy something good that I'm not going to want to upgrade in the near future.

Any opinions/recommendations?

2. bocefus78

bocefus78

I never thought I'd say this, but consider a crossbow. They are now legal in Indiana. It will increase your accuracy and distance. Not to mention, you don't get busted trying to draw the bow.

As far as a recommendation, I'm no help. I'm still shooting my 10 year old Matthews switchback xt. A grand should get you into a top tier xbow from all the big names.

3. lukem

lukem

I've thought about a crossbow since when they became legal and have since shot a couple. I'm just not into it. I see the advantages. I want to be able to go out in the backyard and have fun shooting with the boys too. Crossbows are effective, but there's no fun factor for me.

4. bocefus78

bocefus78

I totally get that. Im in the same boat really.

In that case, go shoot some bows, and buy what you shoot best. All the big name bow manufacturers are quality. It's about like ford v Chevy v dodge.

The one thing I can recommend is a good drop away rest, and a good release. I shoot a ripcord rest, and a Scott release. Neither are cheap, but they both tightened up my groups compared to my old equipment I got rid of.

5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

I can agree on everything except that part about increasing your distance. I highly disagree with that one. I can shoot a pretty good distance with the crossbow but could shoot a killing shot further with a compound. With recurve, 35 yards was about tops and I think my longest kill with recurve was 33 yards and that was using cedar arrows and bear razorheads.

6. bocefus78

bocefus78

Backwoods Savage I was referring to the increased speed from an xbow vs a compound. The fastest xbow is 440fps. The fastest compound is 370fps. That has to make a difference. I haven't shot those new fast toys, just strictly looking at it on a numbers basis. My old bow is around 270fps if I remember haha. I put the arch in Archery lobbing them in there at 60lbs lmao.

7. Gary_602z

Gary_602z

Should be a lot of Bear Whitetails around!:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

Gary

8. Will C

Will C

Around here, some of the hard cores trade their bows every year. I would try a good bow shop this spring and look at their inventory-I bet they'll be lots of bows to try out and prices seem to be 1/2 to 2/3 of new.

9. LongShot

LongShot

I "restarted" bowhunting 6 years ago after a 20 year hiatus. I bought a Hoyt xt2000 off ebay for $300, then added a QAD drop-away rest, a Trophy Ridge React sight and a Scott Mongoose release. Total cost slightly over $600. Yes, the bow was 5 years old, but it's a great shooter. Newer bows in the same class start at $600 or so, and I just couldn't justify the greater expense. I can shoot a 5 inch group w/ 5 arrows at 50 yards, but haven't had a shot over 40 yards (3 elk taken) since I started back bowhunting (my hunting partner is a fanatistic elk caller.) I haven't taken a mule deer yet, but there's always next year. My biggest ongoing expense are high quality carbon arrows at $65 to $100 per dozen. Still, all things considered, I wouldn't spend a penny less because there are very few life experiences as exciting or as invigorating as bowhunting elk and deer.
    :thumbs::stirpot::drool::dex:

10. Backwoods Savage

While it is true of the speed, that speed peters out a lot faster from a crossbow (especially now with the short limbs) than from a compound. I remember we did some testing to see the differences and was amazed. I know when I shoot out, say, to 60 yards, I have to sort of lob the arrows in a lot more than I used to even with a recurve or longbow.

btw, my old bow was around 230-240 (could have even been less) or so. It still did the trick.

11. Backwoods Savage

Or a Kodiak.

Flatlander Pete and LongShot like this.
  12. gboutdoors

gboutdoors

Or you could up grade to the Whitetail Two as I did back in86.

13. schoondog

schoondog

I would head down to the pro shop and be very clear with your budget. You will be able to get a good setup on that budget. Matthews, hoyt, bowtech, darton, PSE ,etc. many great bows out there. Another option could be a well maintained trade in that already has that drop away, wrist sling, quiver, and sight. Many different type of sights out there, single pin that you move or multiple pins. They can get pricy. Pro shop should be able to fit the bow for you and get you started on sighting.

Good luck !!
    Schoondog

14. bassJAM

bassJAM

Every time I think about getting back into archery the costs of the new bows keep me out of it. When I bought my first bow in 1998 my entire setup was $250. I don't know if you can even buy just a bow for anything close to that these days.

I few years ago I bought a crossbow because I could get away with much less practice with it, but I just didn't enjoy shooting it. If I ever decide to drop the coin on a bow, it'll be because I find it relaxing to go the backyard and release some arrows, not to hunt with. I don't even know how they get away calling it "traditional" bow hunting anymore!!

15. LongShot

LongShot

I bought my first compound in 1996 for $250 - a Jennings BuckMaster - and it was a full setup, even included a canvas case. That was a bunch of money for me back then. Prior to that I hunted w/ recurves and the Jennings was definitely a step up both in accuracy and manuveribility in the field. But I hear ya about the outrageous prices these days for new equipment, that's why I bought used. If you search around and are careful, you can find really good used bows. OTOH, it's difficult to find bargins on good carbon arrows for hunting. Some guys I know still use aluminum.
    :D

16. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

That's very good advice. Now days, almost all bows out there are very good and very adequate for bowhunting. Several companies offer "ready to hunt" packages that can be a good deal. Don't get too caught up in the marketing for the high-end, "flagship" type bows.

I like Easton arrows, mostly made in USA, great consistency, components always fit perfectly, several models are priced competitively. Gold Tip and Carbon Express are really good.

Broad heads... For me there is only one choice, GRIM REAPER. They flat out put deer DOWN, in a hurry.

17. bassJAM

bassJAM

Mine was a McPherson, I think they were bought out several years ago and discontinued that brand. I splurged on some Cabelas brand carbon arrows several years ago when they were on clearance. Even after I sold the bow I've held onto those arrows, they're still in the basement waiting for me to get back into archery!

Backwoods Savage and LongShot like this.
  18. bocefus78

bocefus78

lukem likes this.
  19. lukem

lukem

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  20. bocefus78

bocefus78

At that price, I'm not surprised at all. That was a steal. I'll keep my eyes open for you.