In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Stubborn 064... creative build on the way?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by BuckthornBonnie, Jun 21, 2015.

1. BuckthornBonnie

BuckthornBonnie

I posted a few weeks ago about an 064 parts saw I got with a cracked case. I bought a case half off ebay, but that had problems, too. I then grabbed a whole bottom end from an AS member, but there are issues with that, too (could be made to work). As luck would have it, the coil I have won't mount up on either flywheel side.
    So here's my predicament... I'm swimming in 064 cylinders (3...1 cleaned up "so-so") and pistons (2... 1 has shipping damage but can still work I think). Has anyone ever put an 064 cylinder on an 066/660 case?
    Seems dumb to drop displacement, but I've been itching to try a few of these AM cases out there and this seems like an opportunity.

2. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Bump for a good thread...

I have no answers, as I have never worked on either. But looking forward to a good build thread.

clemsonfor and BuckthornBonnie like this.
  3. BuckthornBonnie

BuckthornBonnie

Thanks Dex! Im hoping to check the fit later this week at my dealer. If the 064 cylinder fits, then ill be building something up soon.

DexterDay likes this.
  4. Gunn

Gunn

I don't see why you can't do it. They have the same stroke. The bolt pattern is slightly different with 066 vs. 064 cylinders. You can use an 066 cylinder gasket to use as a template for slotting the cylinder holes.

Also the 066 uses 6mm cylinder bolts and the 064 uses 5mm. So you'll have to ream them out slightly.

Keep us posted.

5. BuckthornBonnie

BuckthornBonnie

That's exactly what I was thinking... thanks for the reply and I will bump this thread with either a build or a "no go" for future reference.

foragefarmer and Gunn like this.
  6. BuckthornBonnie

BuckthornBonnie

How'd I forget that I accidentally ordered an 066 gasket set a while back?? Dumb!! It's aftermarket, but here's what we're up against for this conversion:
    066gasket3.JPG 066gasket2.JPG

7. BuckthornBonnie

BuckthornBonnie

8. BuckthornBonnie

BuckthornBonnie

We don't have a lot of room to drill out the clearance on these cylinders. I suppose we could cheat a bit on both sides and upgrade the hole to an M6 (what the 066 case is tapped for) and hope for a tight squeeze. Think it would jeopardize the integrity of the cylinder mount area if we took away that much material?

9. Gunn

Gunn

The first two pics are hard to tell how you lined up the gasket. Is it center on center?

10. BuckthornBonnie

BuckthornBonnie

It's centered on the one side. The difference isn't as bad as I thought it'd be, but it's enough to make me wonder if it will work without cracking a cylinder.

11. BuckthornBonnie

BuckthornBonnie

The gasket seems to match up side to side, but the mismatched holes of gasket vs. cylinder would be the amount of material needed for clearance.

12. Gunn

Gunn

Try lining them up so theoretical bore of the gasket is on center with the 064 cylinder bore.

rookie1 likes this.
  13. BuckthornBonnie

BuckthornBonnie

14. BuckthornBonnie

BuckthornBonnie

First pic shows two bolts dropped down in... it doesn't seem to match up. Second pic is interesting... all four bolts are "in" and the gasket is centered. They didn't have much trouble dropping in. Second pic also shows a pretty hilarious Croc and sock... I swore I'd never wear them, but man they're comfy.

Gunn likes this.
  15. Gunn

Gunn

From the last pic it looks more promising. What are your thoughts now?

16. BuckthornBonnie

BuckthornBonnie

I gotta try it on an actual case... hopefully there's a 660 at my dealer with a top-end problem. If it's a fit, then I don't mind being a guinea pig for an AM product.

17. BuckthornBonnie

BuckthornBonnie

The saga continues... got a 660 that was smashed (handle, brake handle, cylinder shroud, sprocket cover, rim, chain... possibly bar? are all shot). I looked through the exhaust port and saw a worn but not scored piston and rings, so I bought it. UGH... I had the cover off to make sure the crank wasn't bent, but I didn't give the crank a good wiggle until after I got it home.
    Bearing play... looks like another case split for me haha.
    The cylinder looks ok, so I may toss a meteor (or OEM?) in it once we're back together. The good news, though, is I can test the 064 cylinder hypothesis as early as tomorrow night.

clemsonfor and DexterDay like this.
  18. BuckthornBonnie

BuckthornBonnie

Ok... no dice on the 064 fitting easily on the 660 crankcase. As mentioned before, the M6 bolts would require drilling out the 064 cylinder and there's not too much material left on the base if one did that. I tried fitting it in by just dropping some M5 bolts to hold it, but only managed to get 2 in. Since I'll be rebuilding the 660 w/ an OEM cylinder, I didn't force the issue and look further into the conversion.

Edit: I'll probably end up pulling a MasterMech and make two saws out of this mess haha

19. BuckthornBonnie

BuckthornBonnie

Well I ended up doing a FHC classic and made two saws out of this 064 debacle.
    Recap: Got an 064 for $50, scrounged some (3) cylinders for scrap price, discovered 064 had cracked case--- case half on ebay won't fit (had issues too), Meteor piston, bearings, gasket kit ordered. Bought new bottom end that had bearing play and other issues.
    Got a smashed 660 that I thought only needed a handle, brake handle, and clutch cover. Ended up needing bearings and I put in a Meteor since the OEM was well-worn.
    Here's what I ended up with:

photo 1.JPG

DexterDay likes this.
  20. BuckthornBonnie

BuckthornBonnie