In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

So what makes a good GTG?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by CtRider, Feb 21, 2024.

1. CtRider

CtRider

Thinking about hosting a GTG but seeing how I've never attended one, what makes a good one? Is it mostly a working day with some hanging out time afterwards? Or is it more of a tailgating sort of thing with the opportunity to try out different things like different chainsaws, etc?

Any tips from previous events that should be "must haves" for future ones?

I've got plenty of space to park, plenty of wood - both logs and standing, a tractor with grapple, two saws, a splitter, an empty wood shed and know my way around a smoker and a pork butt and/or chicken thighs

Last edited: Feb 21, 2024
    John D, metalcuttr, ThomH123 and 13 others like this.
  2. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

We normally set up some logs of varying species and sizes to cut cookies and sample / test saws on. We have had guys bring splitters to run and test. There is usually lots of visiting, sharpening and eating too.
    We have had sawmill demonstrations, saw racing, hand splitting contests, etc, etc. It is really a lot of fun and a great time to learn about saws and tools others use to gather firewood.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-S536DL using Tapatalk

John D, imwiley1, metalcuttr and 14 others like this.
  3. Horkn

Horkn

Pies.

Need pies. Someone attending that brings top notch pie game is key.

Right brenndatomu ?:stirpot:

You should go to one to see all that goes on.

John D, J.Walker, metalcuttr and 10 others like this.
  4. RCBS

RCBS

I'd say you could set it up however you choose as the host. Could be a git r done session where the goal is the most amount of processed wood, or you can make it a leasurely thing where the wood making is 'fun' and not the main priority.

John D, metalcuttr, jo191145 and 9 others like this.
  5. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

For real!
    A GTG without proper pie resources is like, uh, well, its just a group effort tree massacre! :startled: :rofl: :lol:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2024
    John D, J.Walker, metalcuttr and 9 others like this.
  6. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Sounds good to me.
    I am in Ct. and it sounds like you have what you need to get one lined up.

You have a smoker , I'll bring the Blackstone flat top and could do maybe steak and cheese sandwiches and sausage and peppers.?? Oh and beer , got that too.

I am sure there are others here in the state or neighboring states that might like to join in.

John D, ThomH123, metalcuttr and 9 others like this.
  7. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Yup

John D, ThomH123, metalcuttr and 6 others like this.
  8. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Be good to see you again Mike.

It was great to meet everyone last time.

9. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

Seems there some charity css'ing also. For disabled Nieghbor of the host veterans etc

John D, metalcuttr, jo191145 and 5 others like this.
  10. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

IME really depends on GTG we had several at Woodstock stove manufacturing customers appreciation day.. no chainsaws they provided food and beer got to meet several moderators and prominent members there. Much time talking
    From pictures I’ve seen ( I really got to get to them)
    walt and Backwoods Savage GTG 20+ people show up and process 15+ cords in a weekend.

hey buZZsaw BRAD you went to 1 in Connecticut
    Thoughts

walt, metalcuttr, jo191145 and 3 others like this.
  11. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

I have had a few here in addition to attending several others. I've never gone to a bad one! There are different types, from just some BSing, saw racing, charity cutting, etc. At our GTG's each one is a little different but still along the main idea. We do put in the winter's supply for a neighbor who is no longer able to do his own. In return we have never asked anything but he always treats us to a pizza dinner. We've helped out another neighbor who needed a few big trees downed. Another neighbor we cut several pines and hauled them to our place. We've had 2 hoarders put on demos making some lumber. 2 or 3 good arborists giving demos on climbing and trimming. Lately we've been cleaning up some tops for another neighbor who sold some logs.

Hoarders bring saws, splitters, tractors, etc. We usually have a campfire going from start to finish. (A good time can be had there along with some shenanigans.) Food? You can't imagine all the food we have. Hoarders bring smokers, grills, etc. Many bring food and before the GTG we always start a thread about food and who wishes to bring what. That way we can reduce the possibility of several bringing the same thing. Everyone brings their favorite beverages.

We have an area where folks can park and also for camping. Some sleep in their vehicles, some in campers, some in the house and we've even had some sleep in the barn. There aren't many motels in our area but several B & B locally. We also get 2 porta potties for the GTG. One is close to the main area where people gather and the other is placed in the camping area.

We always say the GTG is for Friday and Saturday but many come early and that is okay.

So much of our GTG consists of sawing, splitting and minimal stacking But work is optional. The big thing is to have a good time and meet old and new friends. Folks get chances to try different saws, run splitters, etc.

One thing we've always tried to do is to include ladies and children. We have a good locality with privacy. Folks are free to roam on our acreage and there is room for all.

I think I've covered most of what we do but if you plan a GTG, make it yours. Do not be afraid to do things different. It is difficult to plan on a number that may come. We have had from 30 to over 70. I don't think many have been disappointed.
    20160423_135009.jpg 20160423_143752.jpg FHC-GTG 4-23-16a - Copy.JPG GTG-20.JPG 101_0371.JPG 101_0382.JPG 101_0511.JPG 101_0690.JPG 124419-941117c959cb58d86f96009173d00028.jpg 124673-cc5050b6691b078bd768e34a4608b428.jpg 125382-d08431061f741a9e3bc4a778ad25d807 - Copy (2).jpg Becky-Randy.JPG Denny-Walt.JPG B6C148CE-FAD1-4A87-AA9E-24F9676DE989.jpeg Brad out on a limb.jpeg DSCN0937.JPG IMG_3198.JPG Bretts tractor.jpg

This is just a small sample from a couple GTG's.

John D, imwiley1, walt and 16 others like this.
  12. CtRider

CtRider

Thanks everyone! Looks like good times!

13. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

jo191145 hosted one May of last year. Great time cutting some wood, some good food then some BSing around a fire. Sadly it rained the day it was planned for so it was postponed a day otherwise we wouldve had a better turn out.

Here's a link from it CtRider
    CCGTG

John D, metalcuttr, ThomH123 and 8 others like this.
  14. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Im game. I have plenty of saws and the desire to make firewood. Just not in hot weather of possible.

Willing to bring whatever else neccessary to make it a great time.

John D, metalcuttr, ThomH123 and 8 others like this.
  15. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

It was a good time.!

16. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Stop! LOL

Anytime is a good time.

metalcuttr, jo191145, Chaz and 6 others like this.
  17. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

I missed last year's very first Connecticut GTG due to some family issues that popped up last minute. The northeast corner of the state is somewhere I seldom travel to, but if you end up having one I'd definitely like to go.

18. jo191145

jo191145

Well I’m game for some fun. I can run the splitter for ya. Or I could bring mine if ya wanted. It’s a box wedge so it makes more scraps than normal.
    Just my opinion, hope no one takes offense, but from a safety standpoint I think you’d want to get a bunch of trees on the ground beforehand. Sending a large group of gung ho guys into the woods to drop dead ash at the same time might get exciting :)
    Or instead of the splitter I could bring my atv and log arch and help ferry some logs out of the woods alongside your tractor.
    In case you haven’t noticed I’m looking for an equipment operators job LOL

19. CtRider

CtRider

Sage advice. I do have plenty down already. Only mentioned it that a lot of hoarders don’t get falling practice.

An ATV could be handy to get logs where I could grab them with the grapple.

20. jo191145

jo191145

Sure, whatever works logistically. The arch will even drag them out of places I can’t get to with the atv.

metalcuttr, ThomH123, Chaz and 2 others like this.