In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

So how many of you eat soot?

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by brenndatomu, Aug 16, 2016.

1. MightyWhitey

MightyWhitey

Pretty meaty/fat forearms there..................

HDRock likes this.
  2. HDRock

HDRock

Big boned , short n stocky :D

3. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I may have to give this a try. I have two stoves that the pipe comes up out of the stove, then goes up and 90's into the masonry chimney, with no clean outs.

If I can avoid having to go up on the roof I'm sure my wife would appreciate it. Especially for a mid winter clean out.

Chvymn99 likes this.
  4. Oldman47

Oldman47

Back when I was on the station "fire brigade" they called us variously smoke eaters and soot eaters. I admit that a fire is the last place I would want to live but it was fun learning how to fight an extreme fire in an industrial setting.

5. Highbeam

Highbeam

You will need to remove the interior pipe. The sooteater rod can't bend the first interior 90 or the 90 from the pipe to the vertical masonry. Depending on the crock length you may be able to shoot it into the vertical masonry through the crock. No metal cleanout door at the bottom of the masonry?

NortheastAl likes this.
  6. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

Thanks, that's how I was planning to do it. Just hoping the shop vac is enough to suck up the soot. Mama won't be happy otherwise! And nope, no cleanouts, though, even if there was one I'd have to crawl on my stomach to get to it under the porch.

Highbeam and NortheastAl like this.