Swag Shoppe

Slight Movement in the Maine Log Market

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by LodgedTree, Oct 3, 2017.

1. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

I guess they are building a new pellet mill in the Bailyville area of Maine to try to help that region since all they have is forestry there. The pellet industry has not really helped in the past, in part because it does not consume a lot of wood, it is seasonal, but mostly because they tend to bring in wood from sawmills and NOT straight from the conversion of trees, but it is a start.

I also was informed on Saturday that after a year of shut down, the Mat Log Market is opening up again. I am not sure for how long, but I have been driving by some big hardwoods cutting pulpwood. With that market open, down they came today, with my wife hearing them crash from over half a mile away!

I like the Mat Log market because I think I make the most from it. There is no deductions for crook, sweep, double yank, or knots. If it is not Popil, Basswood or Ash they will take it. And of course no rot and has to have a 10 inch top at 16'-6". Since Yellow Birch, does not pay squat, Beech does not pay squat, Maple does not pay squat...well you get the idea, you can make a little money on these species. I like it because you can cut a l or two logs out of tree, call the truck when 60 logs are in the yard, and make a load. And of course gather up the tops for pulpwood later in the week.

So it was a good day today. Kind of maxed out the new 562 Husqvarna, but it got the job done.

Gasifier likes this.
  2. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

I'm not familiar with the forestry industry. Can you explain what Mat log market means?

Viking80 likes this.
  3. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

Mat logs are logs sawn into 8x8 beams that are bolted together to form a mat that is 4 feet wide and 16 feet long. They are used in the construction, logging,and pipeline industries to keep equipment from sinking into the mud. They are also called Enviro-mats, CraneMats, or Swamp mats.

Most are made from hardwood (excluding Ash, Popil and Basswood), but some are also made of Hemlock, a softwood, but is relatively hard and rot resistant.

My IS heats my home likes this.
  4. jake wells

jake wells

red oak is in high demand here poplar demand is down but the market has been a roller coaster here for a while.