In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Self Propelled mower, worth?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by HDRock, May 27, 2016.

1. HDRock

HDRock

Craftsman 22" Rear-Drive Variable Speed Key Start
    Like new Craftsman Variable Speed Self Propelled Rear Drive with Key Start.

. Its been recently serviced and has a new battery. Comes with a rear bagger that's never been used. This mower has been stored inside and is in excellent condition. Asking $225.00 o.b.o.
    Model number 917.374550

What I found out, single lever height adjustment for all Wheels, large rear wheels, wash Port, B&S 161cc, mulch, bag, side discharge, weight about 80 pounds.

My old 20 inch mower from Tractor Supply with a Tecumseh engine, {about 16/17 years old} has seen better days engine runs ok but the deck and wheels not doing so good.

Been lookin at mowers all day, with my firewood Stacks now I have more area that require me to use a small mower
    Mowed my mother's grass with the self-propelled she had, didn't like it at first but I got to where I really did like it so that's what I want to go with, anyway I'm thinking I will offer the guy $200, that's about my budget, I could get a new Honda HRR, for 400 but that's out of my Budget and that has no side discharge.

MasterMech and everyone what's your opinion?
    Pics look like it's in pretty darn good shape, of course I will have to check it out in person butt what do y'all think should I offer less?
    I was wondering can I pull start this with no battery installed?

00404_kESJXXnTxEu_1200x900.jpg

00M0M_45BTDbhf6fn_1200x900.jpg

00E0E_4UR9yir5GjW_1200x900.jpg

00N0N_fQwLJqgCILv_1200x900.jpg

I know long post for a lawn mower, I'm bored:)

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  2. HDRock

HDRock

Going to look at it Sunday afternoon.

3. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

You can start it without a battery just fine. Rear drive is a plus. It will cut ok, not on par with a Toro or newer Husqvarna but it will make tall grass short.

With a $200 budget I'd be looking for an older silver deck John Deere. You could probably pick up a 14SZ in very good shape for $100-$125 and it will make you wonder what was wrong with every other mower you've used. The cut is unmatched on those 14 series units.

[​IMG]

Other good ones are the old 2 stroke Lawnboys, although they can be a bit of a "hobby". :whistle:

[​IMG]

Toro "Super Recycler" models or "Super Bagger" units are great too, with a real nice self-prop system.

[​IMG]

If you stumble upon a Deere JA or JX series for under $200 I would jump on that too.

image.jpeg

4. HDRock

HDRock

I saw a silver deck JD like that.
    Found, Three or four super recyclers is in my budget, one of those had a whole bunch of pieces for the bagger deal, probably older most have one piece bagger,
    Some had no bagger.
    Thanks MM, I will go back and look at the bookmarks

5. HDRock

HDRock

6. MasterMech

She's missing a little paint and the PZ is a push-only. But it will cut nicer than anything else, especially with the bag on. $50 bones is a fair deal on it too. Simple, lightweight machines that do an excellent job.

grassguerilla, clemsonfor and HDRock like this.
  7. MasterMech

14PZ - Push, Zone-Start (Briggs)
    14PB - Push, Blade Brake (Kawasaki)
    14SZ - Self-prop, Zone-Start (Briggs)
    14SB - Self-Prop, Blade Brake (Kawasaki)
    14SE - same as the 14SB but elec. start

HDRock likes this.
  8. HDRock

HDRock

Toro Walk Behind Mower
    I looked at some new ones about $250 ft drive but thought , it would not be good in the ditch, or other , ft drive just don't sound right to me

9. HDRock

HDRock

I might buy this if they returned email with mod #
    HONDA LAWN MOWER
    21 in. 3-in-1 Variable Speed

10. HDRock

HDRock

clemsonfor likes this.
  11. HDRock

HDRock

12. RCBS

RCBS

Electric start on a poosh mower? Wonders never cease!

bobdog2o02, HDRock and clemsonfor like this.
  13. papadave

papadave

HDRock , I just brought home a Yard Machines mower from the big orange box.
    $199 +tax.
    Cuts grass, but I gotta' push it. Rolls easy.
    Took about 10 minutes to set up. I've got a bunch of small areas where the Cub GT can't get to easily, so I need a push mower. If you have wide open spaces to cut, the drive models will be nice.

HDRock and Chvymn99 like this.
  14. bocefus78

bocefus78

Mm nailed it imo. The 2 cycle lawn boys are nice and light if that is important to you.

That crapsman is a rebadged Mtd that can be bought in all sorts of colors/brands. $200 is high.

The old Hondas are solid units as well.

15. B_Williams

B_Williams

I like my Toro Recycler with the push start. It'll start with the pull cord too. I paid about $150-175 (can't remember) last year from Home Depot because it was returned. I think it retails for $350 or so.

No complaints aside from its speed. I tend to walk/jog when I mow my 0.4 acre. I probably would do better without a self-propelled mower. Just something to consider.

HDRock likes this.
  16. savemoney

savemoney

I looked at the sears sight, found this new I don't think that is a great bargain Most likely a fair price, but those mowers don't hold up I would think the JD with the pull cord issue might be a better deal. You keep mentioning your budget so that one looks to be the one . : upload_2016-5-28_10-51-46.png

HDRock and clemsonfor like this.
  17. Star Gazer

Star Gazer

I've had the Toro self propelled, rear wheel drive, 2 cycle. It lasted about a season and a half mowing a half acre of lawn once a week. Then I purchased a Troy-Bilt self propelled, front wheel drive, 3 in 1. I've been using that for better than 4 seasons now. No real problems other than the drive belt coming off on occasion. It does fairly well in ditches and handles my abuses well. It starts on the first pull most of the time. The second pull the rest.

Just a suggestion, but check what the mower you want would cost new. Cut the price in half. If it's less than what the person wants, make that offer. If it ends up being more see if they'd take $25 or even $50 off the asking price. A general rule of thumb when dealing with used items, half or less. After all, it's used and you don't know how it's been maintained or handled. There is no warranty, nothing. Once you pay for it, it's all yours.

HDRock and B_Williams like this.
  18. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Unless it's good commercial $200+ seems a lot for a push mower. But it is e start

HDRock likes this.
  19. Will C

Will C

I second Master Mech's recommendations- I have used a JD 14 and have a Toro Super Recycler. They are both great mowers.

clemsonfor and HDRock like this.
  20. HDRock

HDRock

I'm getting a little picky on what I want and might be hard to find for the price I want to pay.
    Self-propelled, rear-wheel-drive, mulch, bag and side discharge.
    I mow the bigger areas with the tractor but I got a lot of stuff I have to mow around where the tractor won't work, and also have to mow the ditch, the Lawn-Boy self-propelled I used at my mother's, worked real nice mowing the ditch over there.
    I will go look at that Craftsmen and probably offer $175 and see how it goes

clemsonfor and papadave like this.