In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Ready for a wood burning insert, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by EricF, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Horkn

Horkn

They are made by the same parent company. SBI international.

Our brands

So, there's a lot of similarities.

2. Erik B

Erik B

Horkn Which way do you load the wood in your stove, north/south or east/west?

Horkn likes this.
  3. Horkn

Horkn

North South IMG_20170208_214540855.jpg

from early April of this year, the last time I filled the stove.

Thor, wildwest, Erik B and 1 other person like this.
  4. Suburban wood snob

Suburban wood snob

Milwaukee, Drolet, Insert, wood hoarding. After lurking for years you guys finally got the perfect combination for me.

I actually have a Drolet 1800i. 3rd Season with it. Love it. Can't recommend it enough for the price. 2000sq ft, 2 story here. It can cook the first floor, although it gets into mid 60's upstairs if I don't run the AC fan. It's a good unit...loaded up its burned many times over 8 hours.

5. PogoInTheWoods

PogoInTheWoods

Got really spoiled by a small freestanding Quad 2100 at our previous home but it stayed there when we moved into our new place which has a conventional masonry fireplace. Not a large fireplace, so options were sorta limited..., as was the budget for an insert. After quite a bit of research and shopping I settled on the Napoleon 1402. Was initially frustrated and disappointed and really wished I would have brought the 2100 which probably would have fit into the opening given a bit of flue creativity. Then two seasons ago I did a very thorough cleaning and inspection of the installation which involved a fair amount of disassembly and moving the unit a little to get a good look underneath, etc. Glad I went the extra mile to check the main air flow control (on the bottom of the unit). Found the metal safety/info tag that came with the unit sandwiched between the damper rod and the primary air intake! Was all but killing my main airflow source from day one. (Good thing I didn't need to reference anything on that tag. Woulda never found it.) LOL

Long story longer, got everything back together and was amazed at how well the unit actually does work..., basically like I was hoping it would work when I originally bought it. A lot of bang for the buck with the only possible negative being the blowers (it has two) are a little louder than I would like. They are variable and are fairly quiet on the low setting while still moving heat into the room, but the tv needs turned up a little more than usual when the blowers are on high. (I've read they have improved on that with newer units.) A major positive about the 1402 is it protrudes from the hearth opening a fair amount and radiates pretty well on its own in the event of a power failure. Also fits in a relatively tight hearth opening for having a 2 cu. ft. firebox. And if you need a smaller version, there is also an 1100 for even more restricted hearth openings.

All in all I ended up being very happy with the Napoleon. Heats approximately 2000 sq. ft. between two floors quite comfortably on its own using about 4 cords per season in north central Ohio. Has a big brother supplemental US Stove unit tied into the main HVAC duct work when it gets really cold, but holds its own most of the season without any help.

Horkn, fox9988 and wildwest like this.
  6. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Nice to meet you :)

Horkn likes this.
  7. Suburban wood snob

Suburban wood snob

You as well!

Back on topic, I believe that there's a stove dealer right near the original poster's location. You can see the Fireplace sign from the freeway.

Horkn likes this.
  8. Horkn

Horkn

Yep. That place is very close to where he said he lives.

They carry these brands. Screenshot from their mobile site. Screenshot_2017-10-15-17-09-58.png

9. Moparmyway

Moparmyway

Just sprang for a HearthStone, got the Clydesdale in matte black. Soapstone lined cast iron firebox, secondary burn combustion system, 75,000 btu output, just about 80% efficiency. Dang thing weighs 550# .......

Been using the regular old fireplace for the last 20 years ....... should be able to get more time on my hands by splitting less and hoping to reduce oil consumption.

Horkn likes this.
  10. Suburban wood snob

Suburban wood snob

Moparmyway likes this.