In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Pellet heads!! What's up today?

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by DexterDay, Jan 16, 2014.

1. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

Much easeer with out sun in eyes.

2. bogieb

bogieb

Depends on the source, I'm due for anywhere between 4" and 12" of snow.
    upload_2024-3-23_3-22-45.png

But then Cloudboy puts me at 4-8"with this little disclaimer (I'm the far north Monadnock region)

upload_2024-3-23_3-18-50.png
    upload_2024-3-23_3-19-58.png

Then late morning/early afternoon I'm set to get 4-5 hours of sleet/mix, then maybe more snow after dark as the storm wraps back around.

3. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Luckily no white stuff, But did get some dreaded clear stuff but only stuck in the tree's. Roads must have held the warmth enough.

wildwest, PelletHound, bogieb and 4 others like this.
  4. gbreda

gbreda

I'm in the same band as B with very similar forecast all day.

About 4-5" now and still falling as sn*w. Sill undecided if I'll just leave it and see what Sunday looks like or maybe make a few passes with the blower mid day before the changeover and that would be just to get outside and move for a little while. If I dont, couch potato wins out. :p

wildwest, bogieb, savemoney and 3 others like this.
  5. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

You need white stuff?

6. scajjr2

scajjr2

Here in SE NH we got maybe an inch of wet snow, it's been mostly a drizzle like rain, had maybe an hour of steady rain. In a weak area right now but more rain on the way moving up from Mass.

According to current radar the back end of the storm is still down in Delaware so a good 3-5 hours more of the storm.

sam

7. savemoney

savemoney

Grandson just brought in a bag of pellets, he said there is about 6 inches of new snow and it is still snowing. No rain as yet. I don't go out at all when we have bad weather. The heat from the pellet stove feels good this year. Arthritis is horrid.

8. gbreda

gbreda

6-8" sn*w here before turning to sleet around noon. Did a quick cleaning around 1.

Been freezing rain for the last 2 hours or so building up ice on the driveway and its supposed to change back to heavy sn*w any time now adding 3ish inches before wrapping up around midnight or so.

Had it been mid winter this would be really bad but supposed to be sunny and mid -upper 30's tomorrow and Monday. Then even warmer with showers/rain during the week.

9. bogieb

bogieb

I got about 6" then the freezing rain/sleet fell for a couple of hours, then some rain, then turned back to freezing rain. I had a neighbor blow out the berm at the end of the driveway with his plow truck last night so I wouldn't have to deal with it today. 1st time I've done that since I've been at this house but I consider it $20 well spent (he only wanted $10, but it saved me more than that in aggravation so he got a 100% tip).

I'm of 2 minds on my decision not to clear the snow; The snow did soak up a lot of the rain/sleet/ice. But again, at 19* it's freezing pretty good so I may have to live with my choice for a week or so. However, it is nice and windy right now and that tends to pull the moisture out, so maybe I'll get lucky and the snow blowing will be relatively easy.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2024
    savemoney, wildwest, gbreda and 3 others like this.
  10. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Wife always wondered why I waited a bit before heading out. Icey sn* moves better than slop/slush IHMO. And it does clog the chute.

A lil slick again this morning. Had to put some sand down. Pups started his jaunt and I nearly ended up on my keyster!!

savemoney, imacman, bogieb and 3 others like this.
  11. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

Let me explain for the rest:
    Pup's is closer to his landing spot than pop's is to his,
    say whoops JT.

12. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

I said way more than whoops!

I needed his 4x4 drive and studded tires!!

13. gbreda

gbreda

Had this been mid winter I wouldnt have touched the driveway until it was done. This time was a gamble where I was hoping to not have to clean at all today.

We got 7-8 inches snow, then sleet/mix all afternoon then heavy freezing rain building up about 2" crud for a few hours last night then a changeover to 2-3" sn*w, then got cold. The freezing rain really froze the bottom layer to the driveway so this morning everything was frozen couldnt even get a shovel into the top layer. Let the sun work on it till about 1130 am and went out with blower to scrape as much as I could.

Luckily the strong sun has been out all day so all in all its fine but I think if I had left it alone till today it would have been easier by having a better sn*w base to catch the water.

Yep

Last edited: Mar 24, 2024
    imacman, bogieb, wildwest and 3 others like this.
  14. gbreda

gbreda

Didnt lose power but lost cable/internet until late afternoon.

15. bogieb

bogieb

That didn't work out so well for me although the very end of the driveway did get enough sun that I could chip the ice and clear it. Spent over an hour chipping the ice/snow block off the Explorer. The first 20-30 minutes was getting the windows/doors/hood clear enough that I could move the truck to the northwest corner of the house so it could catch some sun. AND, that was even with a windshield cover in place. Oh yeah, even getting a door open to start the truck was a major undertaking. Once I got the truck moved into the sun, that helped soften stuff up on the top but there was still a pretty good workout for me to chip that stuff off.

Truck cleaned off after storm.jpg

I couldn't do any of my paths - thank goodness I had dug out my gates and and left them open overnight. Finally about 3:00 I was able to go out and chip up the ice on the rest of the driveway enough to abuse the snowblower. Also got the mailbox cleared so the mail person won't bitch.

16. gbreda

gbreda

Yikes!! :eek:

Afterthought-I was able to stand on the sn*w in the areas I hadnt cleared on Saturday. Likely would have been in a similar situation as you if I hadnt cleared.

I also noticed yesterday that the few people around me that have their driveways plowed, those pickups were having a real hard time with the sn*w and ice. Hard to break thru and push then they were stuck on the ice underneath the tires

17. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

X2

IHATEPROPANE, bogieb, gbreda and 2 others like this.
  18. savemoney

savemoney

We got a layer of ice in the snow that was able to support the weight of my adult son. He was able to plow the driveway with his side by side. He had to shovel the walks and ramp. I think the mountain areas got close to 2 feet. Unless we get rained on, it will take the week to melt this storm off. Not at all unusual to have March snow. We used to get huge March storms, but the weather has changed some. Now getting fewer storms, but the storms we get are much more destructive. High winds, washouts of shores and roads

19. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

My bother got 2' in Jay, I told him to blow harder.

20. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

Roof unload took out the railing of my second floor deck. Mess all cleaned up.