In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Pellet Count for 2023/2024 Season

Discussion in 'The Pellet Bag' started by bogieb, Nov 1, 2023.

1. bogieb

bogieb

Started the P43 on 10/9/23 and the P61a on 10/30/23. The usage below includes the 2 bags I put into the completely empty hopper of the P61a, and doesn't include the 1/4-1/2 bag that was already in the P43 hopper (from last season) so the starting numbers are bit skewed.

A total of 10.5 bags were used (so 8.5 in the P43). 5 bags had some water damaged pellets, but were anywhere from 80% or more usable. I poured everything but the hard "cakes" into the hopper.

Just got my electric bill for October. The kwh prices went down dramatically in August, and I'm not getting squat for my solar production overage. On top of that I'm about $750 ahead with the utility. With the P61a now going in the basement (keeping the floors warmer), I'll probably start using the mini split for the main floor quite a bit going forward.

2. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

3. bogieb

bogieb

For November I burned 15 bags - for a total of 25.5 bags so far this season.

The additional usage was mainly the basement stove. I used my mini split all of November for the main floor heat (electricity is fairly cheap and pellets expensive this year). I have cycled the P43 once nearly every morning to give me a shot of nice warmth but then let it rest for the rest of the day/night.

Dpopps, jtakeman and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  4. Rich250

Rich250

12 bags total so far

Dpopps, bogieb and jtakeman like this.
  5. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

November we burned 43 bags. :rolleyes:

34 Gs and 9 TSC pine bedding.

55 total

Dpopps and bogieb like this.
  6. bogieb

bogieb

With December being pretty mild, I rarely ran the P43 on the main floor - opting for the mini split instead. I really figured the P43 would get more work, but we only had a couple of mornings in the lower teens and most were in the 20's, 30's and even 40's. And, with the temps mild, I haven't raised the thermostat for the basement yet. It is still set at 65* where once it gets cold, I usually raise it to 68-69*. Another change is this year I am exhausting my electric dryer inside instead of outside during the winter. With only 2 loads of laundry done most weeks (occasionally 3 loads), that doesn't add much, but still has some effect.

17 bags total used for December and 42.5 bags since the beginning of the season.

7. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

December 50 bags.

105 total

bogieb likes this.
  8. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

January 67 (5 more than last year 62).
    24 GS
    43 TSC pine

172 total (3 less than last year 175).

bogieb likes this.
  9. bogieb

bogieb

28 bags for January for a season total so far of 70.5 bags. I esd able to use the mini split on the main floor for most of the month, with only 5-7 days where it was cold enough to run the P42 during the day and night.

Also raised the thermostat temp for the P61a in the basement from 65 to 69* to keep the floors warm but more importantly to bleed a bit of heat into the garage to keep it above freezing.

jtakeman likes this.
  10. Iron Stove

Iron Stove

25 Bags, mainly that cold snap.

Trying my best to burn through my tractor supplypellets asap. Horribly ashy. Filled my Harman p43 ash pan after about 20 bags o_O

bogieb and jtakeman like this.
  11. Tullytown

Tullytown

19 bags douglas firs. 24/7. Used stove mode on lowest temperature setting and half speed fan..P61A.

bogieb likes this.
  12. Skier76

Skier76

Better part of one ton +.

13. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

2/10/2024 Officially turned the pellet stove off at noon and switched to biodiesel. If I'm not saving any money why bother with pellets?? Just saying!!

20 bags for February

Season total 192

Last edited: Feb 11, 2024
    bogieb and ttdberg like this.
  14. Iron Stove

Iron Stove

Just broke one full ton on Saturday! Now working into the matras. Burned even less than last year.

15. bogieb

bogieb

I can't believe I haven't hit two tons yet. I used a total of 20 bags for February and I am at 90.5 bags total for the winter. And, both stove hoppers (with extensions) are full or nearly full.

Sure, my goal this winter was to run the minisplit as much as possible (to use my excess credits with the utility from net metering), but I also didn't get manic about it - I used the P43 when I felt like I needed extra warmth. February was fairly warm for the most part and not many windy periods. It's interesting to go back thru my spreadsheet and see what February has been like over the last several years. Some I used nearly a ton, some I use less.

upload_2024-3-1_2-2-26.png

Looking at the above, I can tell that winter 2021/2022 was a lot colder and/or windier than this year. That year I also ran the minisplit as much as I could thru the winter just to get a feel for what type of solar production I would need to cover that type of use. But, you can tell I ran the P43 more that February (and the P61a maybe worked a bit harder to keep the basement warm). But looking at February of 2020 is real interesting - that year it must have been really warm since I used pellet stoves exclusively then. But, I had also used over 3 tons by that point, so we needed that break.

It is interesting also to see that several years I used more pellets in March than in February - enough that it doesn't account for the extra days in the month. Reminds me that winter isn't over at the flip of the calendar and the sun being out longer each day.

jtakeman likes this.
  16. Dpopps

Dpopps

I've used less than 60 bags so far this year. It's been a mild winter for the most part. Also the least amount of pellets I've burned in one winter.

jtakeman likes this.
  17. Iron Stove

Iron Stove

Record low for me also, around 65 bags. Since January one my lowest temperature was only 11 degrees, and only 6 days below freezing for highs,. Incredibly warm winter.

As of this past weekend, all of Vermont, New Hampshire, and most of Maine were devoid of snow and shut down there snowmobiling trails. Season usually would run into early April.

18. Tullytown

Tullytown

there are major usage differences in burning 24/7 vrs fire it up after work and shut off before bed.
    burn 24/7 and use close to 4 tons per season which would be half that if I only burned evening to bedtime which many do...just sayin...

bogieb likes this.
  19. Rich250

Rich250

No official count but somewhere around 1-1/2 ton for the season so far

jtakeman likes this.
  20. bogieb

bogieb

That was why I was so careful to explain the differences from winter 21/22 and this winter versus other winters. Otherwise, that chart could be very deceiving.

Tullytown and jtakeman like this.