In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Oil going up..

Discussion in 'The Pellet Bag' started by Pete Zahria, Oct 9, 2018.

1. vtktm802

vtktm802

Paid $ 4.00 a gallon 2 weeks ago.... and that's with a discount supposably. Thank god the pellet stove
    is online. Yet Lp is 2.39 go figure. Maybe a new gas boiler this summer. Basterds :emb:

mat60, bogieb, jtakeman and 2 others like this.
  2. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Look into it if your boiler is good you can change out just the burner and keep boiler… I have done it.
    Trying to help out a Grn Mtn boy

3. vtktm802

vtktm802

Thanks, I have thought about doing that, or burn wood and pellets....
    Northeast always takes a hit on fuel oil, I think it's out of hand.

4. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Yes, my oil guy told me 2o years ago put in 2 tanks and I’ll give you huge discount for taking 400 or more gallons

CDL drivers are minimum $27 an hour and those trucks are big $$ too

gbreda, MikeInMa, bogieb and 4 others like this.
  5. vtktm802

vtktm802

Yup, 25+ years ago when I was working for a local P/H company we used to buy at near cost
    and I still burned wood, They must be licking their chops when they fill a commercial account.

gbreda, MikeInMa, bogieb and 3 others like this.
  6. billb3

billb3

Either way, I think a certain amount of "gambling" is involved.
    Last Summer I missed the 'off-season' price advantage top off the tank as prices skyrocketed in August a bit ahead of the norm, so crossed my fingers and kept an eye on prices. They came back down a bit the end of 2023 and I did my Summer "top off" Dec 20 or so and ended up putting 229 gallons in a 250 gallon tank. :) I bought at $3.39, price went down to $3.29 a couple days later and now they have gone back up to $3.43 .

7. theburtman

theburtman

I topped mine off in June 2020 for $1.89 and have hardly used any. I'm glad I didn't wait any longer.

Farmchuck, billb3, MikeInMa and 3 others like this.
  8. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

I have a 500 gallon tank and no one will do a discount even if I fill it. I have to pay more attention to prices during the off season, But I guess even then thats a crap shoot? But I do like the option of having a second heat source besides pellet. Lowest I seen so far this season was $3.08. I held off and a week later its back up to $3.15

gbreda, bogieb and theburtman like this.
  9. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Here 400 gallons is minimum 55 cent discount; could be fill ups are more miles between?

gbreda, MikeInMa, bogieb and 2 others like this.
  10. bogieb

bogieb

Well, for the last several months it has been cheaper per BTU to use my mini-split on the main floor. Now it looks like pellets are the way to go. Just in time - as we're having some pretty cold mornings (5* this morning so far) and I've got the P43 on duty. IIRC, oil was down to $3.89 a month or so ago, but now is showing more. Propane cost me way more than shown in the snip below since I don't use enough.

I don't burn oil but I know of local places that gives a discount if you pay within 7 days. Some give a discount if you pay cash/check. Discounts are by percent but none of it comes close to the 55 cent discount Canadian border VT is getting.

upload_2024-1-18_2-40-5.png

11. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

I totally disagree with that cordwood efficiency ratio
    bogieb. My IS is way higher than .50

Maybe I combined the volume discount and COD discount to get to get to 55 cents IDR

bogieb and jtakeman like this.
  12. bogieb

bogieb

That may be so, IDK. I would say my pellet stoves are a bit more efficient than .80 (probably .85 - or better since the P61 has most of the exhaust pipe run inside so I recoup that heat loss). And my new propane combi-boiler is over 95%, but that is state averages not a calculator that you can mess with.

jtakeman and MikeInMa like this.
  13. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Just put 150 gallons in the tank at $3.19/gallon. Hope that gets us through March as the pellet eaters switch was turned off at noon today.

Not sure if we will get more oil or pellets. Price will decide that within the next month or so.

bogieb, Chaz, gbreda and 2 others like this.