In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Oem vs aftermarket Harman parts

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by Iron Stove, Nov 18, 2023.

1. Iron Stove

Iron Stove

Looking specifically at aftermarket igniters for my P43. The aftermarket ignitor is $120 cheaper. But I'm also thinking of some other spare parts, like fans and such, maybe pellet stove parts.com emergency repair kit, as my stove is now 10 years old.

What's everyone's experience.

jtakeman and imacman like this.
  2. Orson_Yancey

Orson_Yancey

Stick with brand name parts.

imacman likes this.
  3. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

I've been using the aftermarket parts on my Enviro with no issues. Sometimes the aftermarket parts are actually better then OEM. Such as the Gleason Avery auger motors. I've also had just as good of luck with the aftermarket burn pot agitator. Oem lasted 3 years tops and so does the aftermarket at almost 1/2 the cost.

Control panel and maybe the temp probes are the things on a harman that might be the tricky parts I'd stay OEM with. Motors and ignitors shouldn't be an issue IMHO.

gbreda, imacman and nailed_nailer like this.
  4. scajjr2

scajjr2

Unfortunately in todays world new OEM parts can fail just as easily as new off brand parts.

sam

5. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

BINGO!!!!! This right here!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I almost strictly use aftermarket parts on my stove and my refurbs.........igniters, convec, combust fans, etc and the only real issue I've ever had was the bad batch of thermocouples that are apparently still floating around.

gbreda, imacman and jtakeman like this.
  6. Iron Stove

Iron Stove

Good point. I'll probably go aftermarket. Can get several of them for less than oem.

IHATEPROPANE, gbreda, imacman and 3 others like this.
  7. nailed_nailer

nailed_nailer

I replaced my Auger motor (after the spoon incident of 2022) with Aftermarket last year and have been nothing but happy.
    Also replaced the burn pot liner with Aftermarket and it seems well built and performing well.
    But the Aftermarket Agitator Rod is not as robust as OEM and has required several straightening sessions.
    It gets warped and scrapes the burn pot liner with a screech.
    So I'm 2-3 with AM parts vs OEM. But that was of course at 1/3 less cost. lol

---Nailer---

IHATEPROPANE, gbreda, Skier76 and 4 others like this.
  8. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Uh oh, I must of got lucky with the first one I've got. I'm about due to go with another. I may rethink my plan and get OEM or make my own. I made my own when I had access to the shop I worked at and fabbed up a fixture to make them. Just need to get a tig welder and a space set up to weld.

My OG OEM was a weldment of 316SS and it lasted almost 7 years. I can't get more than 3 out of these cast versions. The weldment I made of 316SS only lasted about 3 seasons as well. I might try Inconel next go round?? Just don't have the time with all these home rehab projects going!!

gbreda, bogieb, imacman and 1 other person like this.
  9. imacman

imacman

:makeitrain" for that & the new welder, and when momma finds out.....:heidi:

10. Skier76

Skier76

Wasn’t there someone on here making stainless agitators for the Enviro/Hampton stoves?

IHATEPROPANE, jtakeman and imacman like this.
  11. scajjr2

scajjr2

Cause they're all probably made in the same factory in China anyway. Just stop the line to swap out the label and get going again.

My dad had his own janitorial supply company. He'd go down to this place in Mass where they made cleaners, waxes, etc. They would just stop the line, swap out the name brand label for his, do a run then switch back again.

sam

12. imacman

imacman

Yes.... jtakeman. But that was before he retired.

13. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

I am pretty sure mama has a flat spot in his skill all ready :whistle::whistle::p:p:p:doh::yes::yes:

gbreda, imacman, chris and 1 other person like this.
  14. GHinNH

GHinNH

Here's my take on anything machine related.

I had been involved with nearly every aspect of manufacturing other than corporate level, for well over 40 years. From sweeping the floor to falling asleep in a big comfy chair around a huge table full of suits or (weirdo) Engineers, I did whatever was needed the most at any given time. Try staying awake during a production meeting, I dare you! I flew all over the country installing, training, servicing and repairing machinery for decades.

I can assure you, in machinery of any kind there is little that is actually "Brand name" and all you are doing is paying a premium for a box with a label on it.

Cartridge style heaters were especially difficult to source as there are few manufacturers, and as often as not batches of them would fail prematurely after being sent to the customer. The only thing we could do was contact the manufacturer and pass it on to them, and get replacements as quickly as possible. I could easily go on with all sorts of technical geek stuff but I'll spare you.

Why the igniter cartridge in pellet stoves last at all is beyond my knowledge, but I'm not complaining. Almost any aftermarket part is worth a shot, if it does not meet your expectations just try a different one until you're satisfied with the performance.

As noted in other posts, just bear in mind it may not last and change in an instant. Just the way it works.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2023
    slvrblkk, gbreda, BHags and 1 other person like this.
  15. Iron Stove

Iron Stove

Thanks. Have not ordered parts yet, waiting for the elusive sale I know is run around the holidays so I can stock up.

imacman, slvrblkk and gbreda like this.
  16. gbreda

gbreda

The very few parts Ive replaced on the 2 Harmans, (my P68 has had nothing replaced other than flame guide) most have been AM-no issues. An XXV I work on has had main board (OEM), ESP and dist blower replaced. I know there were other small things that I cant remember. Only the board was OEM.

Exception was the distribution blower was AM on 1st go round. That lasted just over a year and bound up. After that she decided to order OEM as that blower is a PITA to replace.

Here's the rub. I didnt replace the AM blower-she did it with her son. Commended them for taking the task on and getting it done. I did the OEM on second go round.

Removed the AM blower-it was bound, but turned by hand. Removed the assembly from the brackets and it spun just fine. Put the new OEM in the brackets, tightened the screws and this one was now a bit bound. Noticed it wasnt seated square in the bracket buy oh so little. Loosened, re seated, tighten and spun free.

Asked is she remembered checking it when they replaced a year ago. She did think it wasnt turning totally free so likely it was off just a small bit and that was the issue-took a year to start making noise.

The year old AM was probably just fine to go back in, told her the OEM could be returned but she didnt want to chance it.

Bottom line, AM parts work just fine on these stoves. I can see how they missed the bracket being off as it was off so little when I did it, I happened to notice it not spinning as freely as out of the brackets.

jtakeman likes this.
  17. imacman

imacman

Did any of the dist. blowers have oil ports?

gbreda and jtakeman like this.
  18. gbreda

gbreda

Unfortunately, no

imacman and jtakeman like this.