In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New Member with Buck 74

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Born2Burn, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Born2Burn

Born2Burn

Greetings!

New member here, been lurking for awhile now. Tons of great information here. Im 28 and I've been sawing, splitting, stacking, and burning since before I was 10. I'd like to think I have a decent knowlwdge on the subject, but like anything- there is always more to learn.

Been fueling a friend's soapstone stove, my uncles small napoleon, my parents buck model 26, and their Firechief 800 up to this point. I bought my own place finally and I'm in the process of having a Buckstove Model 74 installed in the living room. I do have dry wood, yes dry wood, prepared to burn but probably not enough for the entire winter - only 2 cords or so that has sat long enough. Working my tail off this summer to get ahead. Fortunately, I have what seems like an endless supply of wood, 2 log splitters, 3 good sthil chainsaws, free hardwood pallets from work for stacking, and lots of room to stack. The ash boarer hit our area hard but I'm not complaining, lots of good wood!

Just wanted to introduce myself and ask any advice on the Buck 74.

Thanks

XXL, Sean, Oldman47 and 8 others like this.
  2. moresnow

moresnow

Welcome to FHC. Sounds like a exciting time for ya. Your much better setup with equipment and burning background than many. I know zero about your Buck except they seem well respected here and other sites. Good luck.

3. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

If ya need more wood for this upcoming winter get after that Ash...the dead EAB trees tend to be pretty dry in the tops and limb wood, get it CSS now and it should be ready for this winter...the lower trunk wood very well may need a year or two (3?) CSS to be ready.

blacksmith, ivanhoe and Eric VW like this.
  4. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

Ash will dry quicker than most too, as it has a lower moisture content.

Sent from my Z832 using Tapatalk

5. Locust Post

Locust Post

Welcome aboard...don't have any experience with the 74 model but I like my Buck 91. I know yours is a non cat so it will be a bit different animal than mine but I do know someone that has the model 81 non cat and they like it well. I think they are well built stoves....did you get it from Brunks ? I see you are from Y-town, my office is in Austintown but I hardly ever make it there.

6. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Hello there Born2Burn and welcome to Hoarderville!
    Great intro and background, young sir:thumbs:
    At this time, it is also customary to insert perhaps the unspoken (but certainly not unwritten) rule of the Land- We Love Pics!!!:yes: :ithappened:But pics of your feed thong need not be posted:doh::wacky::rofl: :lol:
    Glad you found us:salute:

7. yooperdave

yooperdave

blacksmith and Eric VW like this.
  8. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Welcome to the club, Born2Burn!
    Glad you found us!:yes:

I'm always curious, how did you find us?

9. Marshel54

Marshel54

Welcome to the club and another one from Ohio. You will find everyone will go out of there way to help a fellow wood addict.

TBONE, Eric VW and blacksmith like this.
  10. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

Well then, you know the rules. And rules is rules... let's get some pics of all that stuff up here so we can confirm that you're not just some internet bot with artificial intelligence infiltrating the FHC!! ;)

Seriously though, welcome aboard... Been burning my Buck 81 for 3 winters now.. Happy with everything except the blower, but I've managed to limp that thing along. Get yourself one of these for your install. Helps a ton with air control and will reduce your wood consumption...

IMG_0445.JPG

11. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

The thong talk strikes again! Like you Born2Burn, I am having my wood stove installed sometime this summer. Timberwolf 2200

I live in WA so the winters are less long. The truth is I keep splitting and stacking. Not much end to this horder business because its just that we all got a problem and we enable each other. Probably the best words Ive heard here yet are " hoarding wood:the most legal and good addiction there is"

Now I am no expert for woodstoves but hopefully you get another cord or two finished in a few weeks, let that be and you should be good for the burning season. Just don't quit at it. Pace yourself but make it a regular thing so you can buck split and stack and sooner or later you become one of those guys who knows how much they will need per year and then collect to the next 3, hence the "3 year plan". Everyone's is different. My first year heating my home completely with wood heat so we'll see how that goes. Post lots and ask questions! This forum keeps us BUSY!:D:thumbs: Post pics on your install!:binoculars: And enjoy your time here! :handshake:

Brad38, savemoney, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  12. Born2Burn

Born2Burn

Thank you all for the kind replies.

Yes, I have my work cut out for me. Fortunately, I do have some moderate help from family and friends. As many of you have probably experienced though, they keep calling me a: Wood hoarder, addict, excessive, or just plain "why do you have to have so much wood?" and "Isn't this all going to go bad?"

Yes that Ash. The local woodlots are full of the dead standing ash. I have one big sucker right next to my house that I hope to get after next week and get CSS. It has to be one of my favorite woods because it is easy splitting, dries rather quick, and puts out moderate heat. I will take your advice and do some sorting when I cut to allow the lower section(s) to dry another year.

Yes. Brunks is right around the corner from me, maybe 3 miles. I did shop around but I ended up back at brunks. My parents have the Model 26 which I think might be the older model of the 74 but they have their differences. From my experience, they are simple well built stoves that put out tons of heat. I would love to have a soap stone stove with the side loading door, but I just couldn't cough up the capital for one of those gems.

Yes, I was planning to do so. I also like that they are just another means of control as the buck only has the inlet draft control.

Thank you all again for the replies. I will get some pictures up, I promise.

13. blacksmith

blacksmith

Welcome to the site and the brother hood of hoarders Born2Burn. There is a lot of great guy's here with lots of knowledge on just about everything that you can think of! :dex:

savemoney, brenndatomu and Eric VW like this.
  14. Ashwatcher

Ashwatcher

Welcome Born2Burn - You're gonna like it here, I guarantee it. We like pics, dogs, beer and helping spend your money on supporting your addiction...I mean supplementing your wood hoard...Great folks here with lots of proven ideas and endless suggestions---Nice to meet ya! :handshake:

15. Joe Seaton

Joe Seaton

Welcome Born2 burn

I have a Buck 74 and have had it for the last 2 seasons. It is a monster heat producer. I haven't had any issues with it other than a weld poppin ? Loose on the small piece of metal attached to the airwash system. However it never affected the stive itself. Buck made good on it and it back to normal. For me and my setup, it easily heats my house to a comfortable 75-78 when it is un the teens. I can get a good 7-10 hours burn time with the draft control. In case you couldn't tell, I am a huge Buck fan. My parents and uncles all had Buck stoves (model 26000 I think) growing up and I am just keeping in line with the tradition. I have a 2200 square ft home with a upstairs and my kids strongly dislike when i add more wood cause the upstairs can get down right hot.

Anyway, welcome to the club, and congrats on the Buck. I promise you will love it once you get the hang of burning a tube stove. If yoy have any questions, by all means just ask. Im not a professional by any means, but I have been burning with this one for 2 years and have had pretty good success so maybe i can answer something.

16. Sean

Sean

Kootenays, South Eastern BC Rockies Canada
    Welcome Born2Burn, youve come to a friendly like minded place. Show us some pics when you get some time. We really like pictures.....

savemoney and Eric VW like this.
  17. Born2Burn

Born2Burn

Thanks Joe!

The Buck units are well built, no doubt about that. As far as the weld issues goes, nobody is perfect, atleast they did you right in the end.

My house is a 2,800 sq ft. Cape cod with the 1st floor being an open floor plan - living, dining, kitchen, laundry bath, and 2 bedrooms all interconnected. Ceilings are <
    7ft. Just had all new windows, doors, and blown in insulation installed. Hoping the 74 doesn't dissapoint - I'm sure it wont.

I wish I could locate it more centrally but I'm using the original chimney with a brand new ss liner installed on the southern end of the house in the living room. Only worry is that the living room will be unbearably hot... fans and circulation will hopefully save me.

Pictures pictures. I know, I know. Speaking of pictures, in the brief time I spent searching, I didn't see the easiest way to post pictures here. Do I have to use a photo bucket type site to reference from or is there a way to post directly from computer/phone to the reply box here??

Eric VW, FatBoy85 and Joe Seaton like this.
  18. Joe Seaton

Joe Seaton

Buck 74 questions I can help with. Posting pics...well that may be one for the admin here. However, I have posted several pics using my phone with no problems. I can just upload a file to the conversation and it just works for me. I am absolutely not a computer guy.

My house is also a cape cod style. Its 2250 square feet and I have 9 ft ceilings. Insulation is decent but my windows are terrible. We are in the process of replacing a few at a time because we have 26 windows on our house. The stove room will get hot. It is normal for it to be around 79-80 degrees and the back of the house be around 74-75. One issue that I have is that our bedroom is around the corne of the stove room and it struggles to get around 70. But I will sit a small fan in the floor and blow it toward the stove and reverse our ceiling fan in the bedroom and can get the temp to around 72-73 which is fine for us at night.

Every house is different but I learned from Backwoods Savage and a couple of others about the fans and I am a firm believer in them. They do work, but it will take some experimentation to get it dialed in.

Eric VW, Ronaldo and brenndatomu like this.
  19. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Grizzly Adam Any way you can help Born2Burn? Sounds like he's got a good lot of pictures maybe more than the 8 picture limit can contain.
    Born2Burn you could post from a photobucket then copy the link then press this icon IMG_2209.jpg above the text area and paste. Otherwise just hit the photo icon just below that and add pics as you see fit.

20. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

Just use the upload a file button right next to post.

Eric VW and yooperdave like this.