In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

NEW Fiskars ISOCORE 8# Splitting Maul

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by Red Elm, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Red Elm

Red Elm

I finally got the new Fiskars ISOCORE 8# splitting maul today. True Value hardware store has worked at getting me one since the first part of December. Picked it up today.

True to life specs:
    Length 36" total
    Weight 9.75# on lab scales
    Head length 8⅛" total
    Head width 2⅜" at widest
    Poll outside diameter 2¾"
    Poll face diameter 2⅜"
    Splitting edge 3¼"

Now the pics:

KIMG0034.jpg KIMG0033.jpg KIMG0035.jpg KIMG0041.jpg

MikeInMa, Maina, Woodslave and 24 others like this.
  2. Red Elm

Red Elm

I only had enough time to try it on a few rounds of red elm, hackberry, honey locust, and mulberry. So far, it seems to do a lot better than my 20 year old 8# standard maul. I bought it strictly to bust big rounds into small enough pieces to lift onto the hydro, or finish w the X27!

MikeInMa, Russell, Blazing and 3 others like this.
  3. Red Elm

Red Elm

KIMG0036.jpg The poll is rated to use as a sledge on steel wedges and as with all the other Fiskars, it has a lifetime warranty!

MikeInMa, Russell, M2theB and 11 others like this.
  4. thistle

thistle

Hmmm.... my Fed/State tax refunds should be arriving in a few days.;) Looks like it'd be a nice addition to my arsenal.... :yes: :dex:*goes off to search for one*

Russell, Blazing, Horkn and 4 others like this.
  5. RCBS

RCBS

So how much money am I going to be spending on one? Dang...already flirting with one of the Husqvana splitting axes too.

Russell, Blazing and Horkn like this.
  6. Agent Orange

Agent Orange

Good looking tool, you'll have to update us on how well it actually performs. I've got another brand tool with a 4# head shaped similarly that just doesn't work well for me.

Blazing, Horkn and Red Elm like this.
  7. Red Elm

Red Elm

The Fiskars website lists them at $64.99. True Value is the only place I found that could even get one. It was a couple of bucks more, which was worth it to me for all they went through to get it in.

They made a happy customer that will be spending more of his money there, too bad more businesses don't grasp that concept.

Russell, Blazing and Horkn like this.
  8. Oldman47

Oldman47

You must be kidding. I don't even have the information yet that I need in order to file. I might have all the bits pulled together by the middle of February to start working on it.

9. Gasifier

Gasifier

Looks like a nice Maul Red Elm. Congrats.

Horkn and Red Elm like this.
  10. thistle

thistle

Received W-2 form from employer on 1/21,took a couple hours to get all my paperwork sorted,filed online 1/22,2015 returns accepted by IRS & State on 1/23,refunds should be in checking account by Feb 10 or so.

Blazing, axeman, Mitch Newton and 2 others like this.
  11. Gasifier

Gasifier

Next saw purchase Feb. 12 or so.:saw:

12. thistle

thistle

:rofl: :lol: Maybe.....If I finally see a Poulan 5200 in decent shape or a Homie 3100G -both are quite scarce,the huge homie gear drive borders on rare.....Otherwise there's only 2-3 more I want then I'm finally done.

Gasifier likes this.
  13. Oldman47

Oldman47

So, do you have your 1099-INT, your 1099-DIV, your W-2P, the 1099 showing your capital gains and losses, your 1095-B or C for Obamacare proof or other reports yet? I know the company paying my retirement has promised me that 1095 for medical by the middle of March. My brokerage has promised me the 1099 and 1099-DIV by the middle of February. I do have most of my retirement income forms already but I am not sure they are all in. I have yet to see the 1099-INT from the banks that I deal with. I do know I messed up last year and filed before I had all of my 1099-DIV forms, then I had to file an amended return. Talk about a way to trigger an audit. Try doing that 2 or 3 years in a row.

14. thistle

thistle

Didn't need any of those forms.Have no investment income,house is paid for,no credit cards,my employer & trade union provide health insurance coverage.

15. Oldman47

Oldman47

If you have health insurance from your union they owe you a 1095 form. If you never get any bank interest I guess you would never see a 1099-INT. With no investments and no retirement income maybe you would never see those other forms but without my own retirement income I would be hurting.

818firewood likes this.
  16. Johnny

Johnny

Any update on the isocore 8 lb'er? Even though I have a perfectly good speeco 21 ton gas splitter I haven't used it in two years since enjoying the workout of hand splitting. I'm a desk jockey too much during the week anymore and like being outdoors and active when I can. I love the fiskars x27 over my old style 8 lb true value maul that does ok. I'm curious how the 8# fiskars does vs. both?
    Btw first post here I think. I love my firewood hobby! And as a bonus my hobby heats the house! I'm guessing a few of my AS buddies are on here too because we like too hoard. Great site name!
    image.jpg
    Saturday's quick splitting hit. I love ash. Splits and burns great. Best all around firewood IMO!
    The stacks:
    image.jpg

17. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

18. Red Elm

Red Elm

Hi Johnny, welcome to FHC! Yes, as a quick update I am liking the new Fiskars 8# ISOCORE a lot. I have yet to find a round I can't bust w it. Most of the time a 24" round, 16" long will bust on first hit, some just crack and take a second hit. One red elm round took six to have completely in half. It is MUCH better than my old style 8# hardware store maul IMHO.

As I stated earlier, I just use it to bust big rounds into halves or quarters to lift onto hydro, or take down smaller w the x27.

I'm very happy w the purchase, if lost would replace at once. The only negative I have found is, I wish the orange, soft, grippy handle material didn't come up the handle so far. I grip firm w left hand and let handle slide through the right in the swing. The grippy stuff catches right hand. A little electrical tape will solve that.

Blazing, greendohn and Shawn Curry like this.
  19. CoachSchaller

CoachSchaller

Nice point about the grip....
    I love the Atlas thermal gloves for handling wood, but not for splitting. I need something that slides.

Blazing likes this.
  20. Jeffrey Svoboda

Jeffrey Svoboda

Great idea about the tape. Was splitting with some rubber palmed gives this weekend and they were sticking pretty bad. Now I know what I can do to fix it. :thumbs: