In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Need some advice.....smokers

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by swags, Dec 28, 2015.

1. swags

swags Moderator

Ok so I want to get a smoker. Originally I was planning on building one and I still might do that.

Backstory, I have a pellet grill that I can smoke most things in but I can't cold smoke. Can't get the temps consistently below 180. I want to make different sausages, beef sticks, ect. I've done it before on my grill but the consistency of the finished product wasn't right and I learned that it was smoked at too high a temp so it didn't turn out right. Flavor was awesome but didn't have the consistency of sausage.

So if you bought a small smoker what would it be? Propane, electric, what Size? Also I don't really want to use one that smoke with pucks, rather use real chips.

Mitch Newton likes this.
  2. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

check out sausagemaker.com

WeldrDave and swags like this.
  3. Gasifier

Gasifier

I quit smoking over 10 years ago. It's not healthy for you.:wacky:

angelo c, CNE deer and Stihl Livin like this.
  4. swags

swags Moderator

I buy a lot of stuff from them for processing deer. Great site, I'm just looking for some more specific info from people that make sausage and what they use.

5. lukem

lukem

Cold smoking is going to be hard on anything electric. They tend to get too hot before the smoke even starts. I would rule that out.

All you really need is a box to hold the smoke and a small heat source. You could make one out of about anything - including wood. I think I remember a thread from bogydave smoking salmon in something wooden.

I cold smoke stuff on my Weber propane grill. I use a small propane plumbing torch and a stainless steel bowl to hold chips. All the grill is doing is holding the smoke in.

Mitch Newton likes this.
  6. JRSDWS

JRSDWS

Wondering what pellet grill you are running? I have a GMG Daniel Boone that will lock in temperature down to 150deg and hold it within +/- 2deg.

Perhaps yours isn't capable, but perhaps a look into the control board is in order? Depending on brand, some of these manufacturers are very good at sending replacements.

I always wanted to try something like this for more smoke, but don't really have the need. There are several different varieties on the market, including stainless baskets, etc.

The Smokin Wedgie | Wood Pellet Cold Smoker, Cold Smoke Cheese

Eric VW likes this.
  7. swags

swags Moderator

It's a traeger and I have the newer updated thermostat on it. They just weren't made to grill that low.

They do have an attachment that is made to bolt onto the vent for cold smoking but the box isn't very big

raybonz and Eric VW like this.
  8. FarmHand78

FarmHand78

I've got a Landmann Smokey Motion 3945GLS gas smoker, good for the money, can do a few modification to make it work better. I'm not able to cold smoke very well with it, can hold the temp, but lacks smoke when that low of temp. But I'm getting an A-MAZE-N smoker tray to help with that, burns pellets for up to 11 hours.

SMOKERS

Might work in pellet smoker as well.

swags likes this.
  9. Elderthewelder

Elderthewelder

I got the A-MAZE-N 12" smoke tube that I use at times to get extra smoke on briskets or big roasts while using my GMG Pellet grill, i dont trust it enough to do cold smokes by itself though I just dont think they put out enough heat by themselves
    I have been debating for awhile now about getting a cold smoker attachment for my GMG through
    Pellet Grill Accessories - Cold Smokers, but they are not large enough to hang sausages like the OP wants to do

OhioStihl and FarmHand78 like this.
  10. swags

swags Moderator

I think I'm going to run with just a simple electric smoker, planning on doing a dry run to see what temps I can hold with it and if the chip tray will smoke the wood chips or saw dust. The add on smoker will probably be a good idea with this. I can use the smoker to hold temp and add smoke with the extra smoker

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
    raybonz, Eric VW and FarmHand78 like this.
  11. OhioStihl

OhioStihl

Yep, I have a smoke generator from A-MAZE-N. I use the same pellets that I use in my Traeger. Cheap and simple.

raybonz, swags and FarmHand78 like this.
  12. jtaves85mcss

jtaves85mcss

I will offer a suggestion of a charcoal Brinkmann Smoke n Grill, unfortunately this model has been discontinued, but they are generally available on Craigs List and may still be in some stores if you are lucky. Cheap entry point $50 - 60. They can be quickly improved with simple modifications. I'll post up some pics of mine later today.

Jack Straw likes this.
  13. jtaves85mcss

jtaves85mcss

Here are the pics and my mods for the Brinkmann Smoke N Grill.

First thing is to assemble the unit with the legs on the outside and drill a 1/4 inch hole in the body and one in the lid- you can see positioning of those left of the door and factory thermometer (which is crap). Those holes are for inserting cork stoppers that hold real thermometers (mine is a Weber grill thermometer purchased from HDepot. Drill the corks then insert the thermometer shaft). You can see the new legs on the charcoal pan in this pic as well.
    [​IMG]

Then you can see how the water pan sits on the lower grate and how it all goes together here...
    [​IMG]

Then for the charcoal pan, you will need four 5/16 inch carriage bolts about 14 inches long, 8 washers and 8 nuts. Mark, punch and drill holes for the leg bolts in the lip of the pan. Install bolts for the support legs. Then mark, punch and drill 5 1/2 inch holes in the bottom of the charcoal pan, near the outer edge of the bottom, for air vents. Line the charcoal pan with two sheets of HD aluminum foil, punch holes the foil at the new vent hole locations. Do not use this on a deck, as hot embers will be coming from those new holes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You will need a large stick to stir/stoke the charcoal when reloading and an special made heavy duty coat hanger 'L' to poke/auge out the coal bed up through the vent holes about every two hours. Always reload with a hot load of charcoal from a chimney, by lifting up the whole body and lid off the charcoal pan - about every three to four hours. You refill the water pan through the hinged door, via long neck beer bottles. It helps cleanup to spray that whole water pan with PAM prior to starting to cook.

With all of this, you can cook great birds and shoulders. You are limited on the number of racks of ribs you can do, get a upright rib holder, and you can actual forego the water pan and use two levels of grates, but you have to rotate them mid way through the run, which can be a pain.

raybonz, swags and Mitch Newton like this.
  14. swags

swags Moderator

That's a cool mod/set up. Thanks for posting the pics and explaining what you did with it

15. Babaganoosh

Babaganoosh

I did the same mods on one of those about 8 years ago. There was a website I found which had a bunch of mods on it. It made the smoker a lot more useable. Then I bought a pellet smoker and never looked back.

16. cwn877

cwn877

I have a master built electric smoker it will hold temp really good but can't get much smoke below 200 with the chips I bought. I made some of my own by running chunks of wood across my jointer and catching the shavings in a box haven't tried them yet but hoping they will be better. I'm looking to do the same thing as you. I might even try saw dust. I really like the smoker it's pretty much set and forget other than adding chips.

17. swags

swags Moderator

I bought the same one this week, i tried a dry run yesterday and ran at 150 for a few hours. For chips I noodled a cherry round and packed it in there. This worked really good as the noodles smoked easily. Only issue is they burned out fairly fast. I'm thinking I will try to mix some regular sawdust (can get more in then with noodles) with some small chips. Hoping the sawdust will light off the chips and can get decent smoke.

A short run of smoke isn't a bad thing though in many cases. Gets a nice smoke taste without over doing it

18. cwn877

cwn877

Cool that gives me hope then too. Yeah sometimes it only takes a little bit of smoke time on more delicate foods to not over power them.

raybonz likes this.
  19. raybonz

raybonz Moderator

My son-in-law has a basic electric smoker and has gotten amazing results smoking 15 lb. turkeys on it.. I like the new digital controlled smokers and am seriously considering the one at this link.. I do have a charcoal fired Acorn grill but it's hard to go low and slow without snuffing it out! With an electric all I would need to do is add wood ships occasionally.. Never have fire go out or run out of fuel!

Amazon.com : Masterbuilt 20070910 30-Inch Black Electric Digital Smoker, Top Controller : Patio, Lawn & Garden

What do you think of this unit? I hear their tech support is great and parts aren't too expensive..

20. OhioStihl

OhioStihl

A friend of mine has that model and has made some impressive dishes with it. He wishes the chip tray would hold more but most people over smoke, including me.

Chvymn99, Eric VW and raybonz like this.