In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Minnesotans

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by spotted owl, Mar 20, 2024.

1. spotted owl

spotted owl

The boy will be in Minneapolis for four day here in a couple weeks. Any must do or see things? Good eateries? He’ll be working for a few hours each day so there will be a fair amount of time to kill.

Thanks

Owl

Chaz, hovlandhomestead and Eric VW like this.
  2. Softwood

Softwood

Is he into live music?

He could catch a show at First Ave. awesome place

Chaz and spotted owl like this.
  3. yooperdave

yooperdave

Minneapolis?

:picard:

4. MNWood

MNWood

In what part of Minneapolis will he be staying? What types of food does he like? Are you looking for daytime activities, night life or both? There's a lot of bars, restaurants, breweries with tap rooms. A lot of live music. Two zoos, which are very different from each other. The Mall of America if you're into shopping (I am not). Is he a baseball fan? Minneapolis was a great city in my opinion until about 2018, it started to slide and hasn't stopped sliding yet. I will not talk any politics here. There still are good places to go and generally it is safe however there is more crime than there used to be. I lived in Minneapolis for nearly 60 years. Moved to Coon Rapids in 2022 but still work on the edge of Downtown.

Chaz, spotted owl and Softwood like this.
  5. spotted owl

spotted owl

Probably afternoon, evening times. Really likes live music, all kinds. Unique, craft or new foods. He likes some African place when he’s in Baltimore. If his girl goes with him the zoo will be top of the list. Not a lot of time but they like to explore and check out the local stuff when he’s out of town.

Owl

Chaz, MNWood and Softwood like this.
  6. MNWood

MNWood

MN Zoo has an admission fee and a lot to see. Como Zoo in St. Paul is free and also has a lot to see. If it is a nice day the outdoor exhibits and even taking a walk around Como Lake is nice. If it is a cold or rainy day there is a Conservatory with fantastic flower and floral displays. Matt's (dive bar) for a Jucy Lucy (cheeseburger with the cheese on the inside) or Blue Door Pub for the same. 331 Club has live music every evening, no cover charge but when they pass the tip jar put something in as that is how the bands get paid. often have an early show with another band starting at 9. Ice House also has music, decent food. Saint Paul Saints are fun to watch if they like baseball and the weather is good. I like sitting outside on a sunny day eating a hot dog, sipping a brew and watching baseball. MN Twins too for same. I'll ask the wife for a few more dinning suggestions and what not later.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2024
    Horkn and spotted owl like this.
  7. yooperdave

yooperdave

IIRC, the place that offers the "juicy lucy" was featured on a TV show.

8. Erik B

Erik B

Too bad the Chestnut Tree is gone. It was close to downtown MPLS

Chaz and spotted owl like this.
  9. Horkn

Horkn

10. MNWood

MNWood

There are numerous places to get a Jucy Lucy in Minneapolis/Saint Paul MN. The 5-8 club and Matt's have long standing rivalry over who invited it first. Dinners, Drive Inns and Dives went to the Nook and Blue door Pub which also have Jucy Lucys.

Chaz, spotted owl and Horkn like this.