In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Might need a bigger saw than the MS 250

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Bret Hart, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Bret Hart

Bret Hart

Just replied to this ad in the same town I live in and I'm gonna have a tough time with an 18" bar on the MS 250 if I get a call back. The wife is at an AYSO board meeting for the up coming soccer season and I don't know what she's gonna say if I mention needing a bigger saw. Kinda figuring they're looking for a pro logger but you never know.

Standing maple trees for firewood - $1

Approximately 150-200 maple trees available to cut for firewood. 35-40" diameter. We want them removed from pasture area.You cut and remove them.

Allen Lee, thistle, 94BULLITT and 2 others like this.
  2. thistle

thistle

Wish I was closer & had a couple weeks off to spare......

Drvn4wood, Allen Lee, mdavlee and 3 others like this.
  3. Bret Hart

Bret Hart

The Stihl dealer is about 3 miles away from the house and I get a decent discount because of other business dealings.

Looks like this might be the one with a 25" bar and a few extra chains. Just need to keep my fingers crossed they're not looking for a pro logging outfit.

[​IMG]
    Our top-of-the-line chainsaw for farm and ranch.
    With an advanced low-emission engine technology, the STIHL MS 391 mid-range chainsaw improves fuel efficiency by up to 20% compared to previous models.

MS 391 - $599.00
    Our top-of-the-line chainsaw for farm and ranch.
    With an advanced low-emission engine technology, the STIHL MS 391 mid-range chainsaw improves fuel efficiency by up to 20% compared to previous models. The new air filtration system requires fewer filter changes, allowing for longer run times. Improved fuel efficiency and fewer filter changes save you time and money.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
    Allen Lee and WeldrDave like this.
  4. Carbine

Carbine

I would love to see pics of said trees, sounds like there is more to this story. There is definitely a market for maple, and I definitely wouldn't be making firewood out of saw logs (ya I know they say for firewood).
    If they were cull trees, even being free... removing all debris might outweigh the benefit unless you don't have access to anything else. If they'll let you make burn piles, that'd be different.

mdavlee, Shawn Curry, Horkn and 3 others like this.
  5. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

X2.. I'd wait for more info from the CL lister.

It may be the deal of a lifetime and you could sell some of the wood to recoup the cost of the saw (win-win)! But it may be someone looking for you to clean up their property.. Been there and done that... Not fun. :headbang:

6. Bret Hart

Bret Hart

Agreed. Could be a nightmare for sure and burn piles for the brush would be mandatory or likely a deal breaker for me.

Around here there aren't many opportunities to cut wood for cheap and a lot of the maple here can get pretty gnarly and wouldn't be good for lumber.

Definitely not going to pull the trigger on a saw until it all gets worked out..... however..... I sent a text to the wife and got the green light if it's a go.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  7. RCBS

RCBS

I'm wondering if they know how to correctly measure diameter? Perhaps they are confused with circumference?

8. Guido Salvage

Guido Salvage

If they are pasture trees they may now make good saw logs. My experience with maple is the bigger it is the more rot you are going to find.

Horkn, mdavlee, thistle and 2 others like this.
  9. Carbine

Carbine

As true with most mature trees. I doubt there is much, if any value there (as they are being listed free for the taking)... but I would be curious to see pictures of them for sure.

10. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

Bret, you know I like my white and orange saws but for $600 smackers, you could have a Dolmar 6100 that would run that 24" bar with no trouble at all and run circles around that 391.

I've run the 391 a few times, good machine but just ain't no 6100.

PM me if you need a contact/source.

concretegrazer, Horkn, CTYank and 7 others like this.
  11. Shawn Curry

Shawn Curry

35-40" diameter is a monster of a tree. It's going to take way more saw than a MS390 or 6100. If its a field edge tree it's probably got a huge canopy and if its a maple it's probably hollow.

But if they look choice, gimme a call.:D

Drvn4wood, Horkn, mdavlee and 5 others like this.
  12. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

You might want to write a contract even though you will be cutting for free and include that they will dispose of the brush and deal with the stumps.

The 391 is a nice saw but if you are going to put that much into a saw you might want to step up to the 362.

thistle, clemsonfor and Bret Hart like this.
  13. cgraham1

cgraham1

150-200 maple trees, 35-40" diameter... and you think a 391 is the right saw for the job?!!! If you do go through with this plan, do yourself a favor and find a used 395xp, or 066/660.

Horkn, CTYank, mdavlee and 4 others like this.
  14. Bret Hart

Bret Hart

The 391 and a few extra chains would be about all I have the extra cash for today. I couldn't handle all of those trees but I'd really like to get a few years of firewood out of it.

Horkn, Oldman47 and MasterMech like this.
  15. pantelis

pantelis

+ 1000

Horkn, clemsonfor and Bret Hart like this.
  16. pantelis

pantelis

Agree with the graham1 he give you the most real answer , leave out theese plastics -metals series and go for a good saw for theese money are a lot of good used 660 or 395 out there for 600

cgraham1 and Bret Hart like this.
  17. Bret Hart

Bret Hart

Like this one?

Stihl 660 magnum

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stihl 660 magnum $ 650 obo

18. pantelis

pantelis

Man you have to deal with 40'' hard woods , i dont know how hard and dificult wood is this maple , but i put my 362 to some olive trees of the same diameter , they make it to start farting after few cuts

Horkn and Bret Hart like this.
  19. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Yes, lots of good pro saws out there for the same price of the 391.. Even if you go for a 70 cc saw (Husq 372, Husq 365, Stihl 044/440, Stihl 046/460, Dolmar 7300/7900, etc)

The 391 would handle what you want for firewood. But that kinda money can buy a used saw in great shape.

20. TreeWorks

TreeWorks

I found my 361 and 440 on eBay for less than 300$ each 361 needed a clutch the 440 needed the carb tuned. I have a ms390 I've cut a stupid amount of wood and love it because it was my first but I would rather go at it with a 260 all day than my 390 ...... My hands go numb after about an 2 tanks in the 390 FWIW

fox9988 and Bret Hart like this.