In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Mattress guidance

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by mywaynow, Jul 18, 2015.

1. comanche79p

comanche79p

I just ordered two mattresses in a box. One is a Nectar and the other is a Early Bird.
    My old mattress is beginning to feel like I'm sleeping in a wheelbarrow.
    I will give y'all a review when I get then in and use them for a while. Never thought I would buy a mattress in a box.

2. savemoney

savemoney

My select number mattress came in a box. I on my second one. So far it is the best one for us. We are both way overweight and have joint issues.

metalcuttr, brenndatomu and wildwest like this.
  3. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Slept on a memory foam mattress during our vacation...not bad...but didn't like it enough to buy one.

4. In the Pines

In the Pines

I'm shopping for a mattress, I just want a traditional inner spring mattress like my old one. I'd buy it again but can't seem to find it.
    If anyone doesn't mind revisiting this and updating how their mattress is doing and if they would get something else.
    I do not want memory foam anything or a foam top. Seems like the world has moved to foam though?
    I like a cool firmish mattress and don't want my bed remembering the position I was in last. And don't want to spend over a grand.

5. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

If ya wanna come to wayne county there's an amish shop here that makes exactly what you want...we just bought a second one...1st one lasted well over 20 years, and is still doing "guest" duty at the inlaws place...these guys are old school and don't have phones though...you have to come here, order it, then come back to pick it up as they are custom made for you generally...I think they might have some common stuff in stock though...their stuff is all still 2 sided too.

6. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

My last traditional mattress was another Spring Air coils, no pillow top just plain, and firm. It can flip both ways instead of just rotating like pillow tops. The only problem is most sheets now are "deep pocket" to accomidate the fluffy pillow top mattresses and the fitted sheet is always loose and comes off all the time. I got lucky, bought two pair of flannel sheets years ago that shrank, so used those two fitted sheets only. We had it on a platform frame, so not as high as box springs and mattress which was super helpful to me. Except hips and shoulders got bad so added a memory foam pad, that was awesome for several years but they got worse so now we have a 8 or 10" foam mattress sitting on top. I learned some tricks so I could sleep but the fitted sheets for those are also not common.

7. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Wife and I have been through a bunch a while back. She's picky, me not so much. Ended up getting a sleep number so we can have different levels on each side and we are both happy with it. We tried a memory foam tempur-pedic. Hated it. It seems to retain heat more than normal. The glorified air matress/sleep number does I believe had a thin layer of foam and it doesn't have the same effect so I don't mind it. Good luck finding one w/o, I think that may be a challenge.

8. In the Pines

In the Pines

It has been a challenge. If the foam is buried in the bed I won't mind I don't think. I just don't want it as a topper or in top layers.
    I looked at sealy's ( and other big names) as an example and every bed from what I could see has lots of foam in it. I really want to lay on it first before buying too.
    And all the local stores seem to carry are these memory foam mattress's with upsells like cooling gel infused .. blah
    I should edit my post too because I don't mind spending more than a grand I don't want to spend over 1500 though if possible.

9. wood and coal burner

wood and coal burner

My wife and I have a Layla, my son has one too. They came in a box and are great. Purple gets good reviews too

10. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Sleep # owner here. Love it.

11. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

Four Purple mattresses in our house. Probably soon to be a fifth. Price to performance is awesome, oldest one is at least 5 years old now. Most are the orginal formula; firm, cool, royal b**** to move once it's cut loose from the original packaging. Still worth it!

One caveat - they are not nearly as thick as a 'normal' pillowtop type mattress. A consideration for fitted sheets.

12. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

We had a high quality big name mattress for like 20 years. It was of the rotatable and flip-able type which we routinely did. I'm sure that accounted for it's long life. We next got a big name pillow top that was unflipable. It developed a big dish in the center in just a couple years. Kind of fun in that you would both tumble to the center in a tangle of arms and legs. That contributed to fun and games but not sleeping. We finally got a Sleep Number and have had it about 10 years with no issues. It's not perfect but we like it. Every once in a while though, I kind of miss that big dish in the center!:emb:

13. In the Pines

In the Pines

all I can say about sleep number is they must be really proud of their product. ugg foam. Maybe I should just go back to the rope straw beds heh

14. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Purple here... What I like is that I can bury my shoulder into the mattress and sleep well... I'm a side sleeper... Well worth the cost, considering how sleep affects your everyday life and how much time you sleep in a day...

15. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

I have less $$$$ in all four (a king, a queen, two twins) of these mattresses than what the ask is for ONE of Sleep Number's mid-range offerings.

100% with you on how much sleep affects your daily performance and health. Your mental endurance, your weight, the list gets to be pretty incredible. Things like a deviated septum, enlarged adenoids, turbinates, basically anything that obstructs your airway and the ability to breathe through your nose can also adversely affect your sleep and bring on sleep apnea. I have fought off sleep apnea with some smart gadgets, a FitBit originally and later my Apple Watch highlighted that there indeed was a problem. I was waking up more than once every hour (unawares) almost every night! And feeling like I had been run over by a Peterbuilt in the morning. A bit of myofunctional therapy, a tongue-tie release, and a septoplasty later - I'm 100% better. I still snore some but I suspect that's due to being 30-40 lbs heavier than I'd like. That's next up on the fix it list. Until two-years ago, I had rarely ever been able to breathe through my nose, even at rest. Figured it was just allergies or genetics. Boy was I wrong.

Parents, mouth-breathing is NOT normal for kids (or adults...). There's so much that can be done when they are young. Via myofunctional therapy (see a speech pathologist) and some enlightened orthodontia. Sometimes the traditional methods are only addressing cosmetic ortho issues and can complicate airway issues later in life, when they are so much more difficult to correct.

morningwood, wildwest, bogieb and 5 others like this.
  16. In the Pines

In the Pines

I love my sleep and definitely need a good nights sleep and a comfortable bed. My bed is nothing special and I think I still sleep well in it. It's the girl who is tired of the sag in the middle. It's nothing special but a one sided sealy that is firm and old before foam became a thing. I'd love to buy it again.
    I forget what came in the camper but that thing sucks. (I don't think its foam either) First night I slept on it, I pinched a nerve in the neck/shoulder and my whole vacation was miserable due to it.
    I slept on the pull out sofa the rest of the vacation and it was more comfortable.

wildwest, Chvymn99 and metalcuttr like this.
  17. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I bought some "distressed" (seconds?) mattresses awhile back. We put kiddo's on this summer and she loves it. Tonight we put ours on, WWW bought new sheets/quilts for our Xmas gift. Hope we don't find anything weird or defective and that it's comfortable. But mostly I'm glad to toss our foam mattress, he read something about dust mites and foam, as well as Scleroderma gives me terrible night sweats that have now returned since I had to stop medicine a few years ago, so just, eww. For $110 in 2018 it served us well for over 5 years though.

Also, this year we've used separate blankets-or quilts. Awesome, no blanket/quilt stealing, two twin comforters for Christmas, ya! If we move in 2026 I'd like to get an adjustable frame, tip him up for snoring lol.

moresnow, Chvymn99 and brenndatomu like this.
  18. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Sleep Apnea can be the source of the snoring. I don't know about how it works down there but here you can get tested to see if that is the cause.

campinspecter, wildwest and eatonpcat like this.
  19. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Yes, I'm certain he does, listened to him for so long. Our dentist is doing testing, really neat deal, sleep with a ring on, as in like wedding ring ring, it sends results to your phone that the company reads. I tested positive, waiting for next appt, she said a lot of the work I'm getting done like improving my bite/partials ect. will help my case a lot. I cannot get WWW to the test :rolleyes: .

metalcuttr likes this.
  20. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Sorry to hear that. It really made a big difference to campinspecter's health and my sleeping instead of listening all the time for him stop breathing.