In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Java flames

Discussion in 'The Pellet Bag' started by D-Mac0211, Nov 4, 2023.

1. D-Mac0211

D-Mac0211

So I talked to my pellet guy today and he said Java is going through some turmoil. They company they used to get all their coffee from (nestle) closed up their factory and moved to Mexico. So now he’s trying to source from other places and they quality is a little weird. Guess they are trying different binders, the moisture content is different and I guess next batch even the diameter is going to be bigger. So kinda in a weird spot right now. I still just stacked a ton in my garage and have another ton paid for. Might as well try them. Even if they are just as good as Douglas fir top of the line Douglas firs are still like $75 more a ton then Java. So Im going to try and do one bag or so of straight Javas and see how they burn and I’ll report back when I use them. Then I’m going to try a 50/50 mix with matra and see how they burn.

2. bogieb

bogieb

Well, that sux in two ways: jobs got moved out of the country and a potentially promising new pellet is already in upheaval.

3. Tullytown

Tullytown

my stove dealer sells them now but a friend mentioned that they are prone to moisture depending on how stored which can turn to mold in the bags..?
    so following the java trail before i buy any...IF.......

Cash Larue, eatonpcat and bogieb like this.
  4. D-Mac0211

D-Mac0211

I heard the same thing. I’m curious how mold will affect them. I mean obviously if there’s so much mold then you wouldn’t be able to burn them because of moisture. But maybe a new type of “magic mushroom” will appear from them lol

5. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

This bag is from last season. I left it out in the sun for a bit today and you can see the amount of moisture in this bag. It does not have any mold in it that I can see though. Just something to keep in mind.

PXL_20231105_201523286.jpg

jtakeman, Rich250, bogieb and 5 others like this.
  6. Tullytown

Tullytown

think lot of us will be following the Java trail... hopefully all good..Maybe,,,

eatonpcat, bogieb and Cash Larue like this.
  7. D-Mac0211

D-Mac0211

It’s weird because you wouldn’t think that something with that much moisture would even light.

jtakeman, bogieb, slvrblkk and 2 others like this.
  8. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

EXACTLY! but the damm things burned really nice! Go figure :D

jtakeman, ttdberg and bogieb like this.
  9. D-Mac0211

D-Mac0211

What do you have your feed rate at? I just put my first bag in and I have it set to 2 on my older p43. Is that to much?

10. Iron Stove

Iron Stove

Would have loved to try the javas last year, but not at the 500 price this year.

jtakeman, bogieb, slvrblkk and 2 others like this.
  11. D-Mac0211

D-Mac0211

I got lucky my pellet guy gave me a great deal.

12. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

I only have 4 "speeds" so I had it on the lowest setting. They are a smaller diameter than maybe most other pellets so they do/did feed faster. I would burn these all the time but I'm cheap and these are expensive so that's a bad combination for me :D

I'm not sure that when they released these they were totally ready for prime time yet. Who knows if there are any long term stove/metal issues burning these. Time will tell.

Skier76, jtakeman, ttdberg and 3 others like this.
  13. D-Mac0211

D-Mac0211

Definitely burn really hot. The side of my stove is at almost 400 and the center near the air vent on the front of the stove at one point was 556 with thermal thermometer. Honestly might have to wait till really cold weather to burn them. I have my feed rate at like 1.5 now. Super hot. Just hope it doesn’t mess up my burn pot lol

14. D-Mac0211

D-Mac0211

Or melt the end of the auger

15. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

I burn these at feed rate 1.5 in the P68 and they are pretty hot. Really only used them last season when it was super cold. The ones I have are much smaller than a normal wood pellet, so the lower feed rate is needed because they feed quickly due to how small they are. This is an early batch, probably one of the very first, and I heard they are normal wood pellet size these days.

16. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

Man that's a lot of moisture.

bogieb, jtakeman and slvrblkk like this.
  17. D-Mac0211

D-Mac0211

I reduced my feed to 1.5 on my p43 but just had to adjust my dip switch settings to slow the amount of pellets on initial start up. I just wanted to try a straight bag just to see how they burn alone. They do burn hot but alone the flame on start up doesn’t like to move across the burn pot to fast because there were to many feeding in the pot. Was getting a decent amount of smoke on start up so I went to default. I was at +21 with the matras

slvrblkk and bogieb like this.
  18. D-Mac0211

D-Mac0211

upload_2023-11-7_19-8-56.png upload_2023-11-7_19-8-56.png That was a decent start. I did it earlier and it refused to travel across.

eatonpcat, bogieb and slvrblkk like this.
  19. Hygor Pontes

Hygor Pontes

I know it's totally random... but I've always wondering if it smells like coffee while burning.

ttdberg likes this.
  20. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

Nope. It smells like burning hair.