In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Its's getting old!

Discussion in 'Non-EPA Woodstoves and Fireplaces' started by oldspark, Feb 25, 2014.

1. jo191145

jo191145

I have a Jensen 30 wood furnace in my basement. Basically my sole method of producing heat since 1993 except for the last two winters when I installed several different stoves upstairs ( one at a time, just for fun,,,and heat)
    Back to the Jensen, the first winter after building I had no time to get enough wood. Ended up cutting down dead trees in the snow and stuffing them in. Chimney clogged, 8x12 flue, who would've quessed.
    I haven't brushed that flue since 1993.

wildwest and Stinny like this.
  2. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

I know we all have been new this at one time with most likely poorly seasoned wood and not much of an idea how to burn it anyway, But we learned the ins and outs and got her running smooth, I know in my early years, my chimney cleaning and inspection was my own report card on the previous years burn. I would adjust my burn to better combustion. Got it dialed right in now.

3. Stinny

Stinny

In 1994, we moved to the old family farm. Your mention of the furnace you have got my attention. I wasn't even sure it was the same rig... it was. I found a pic of one...
    [​IMG]
    We were going to freeze that first winter if I didn't find something fast. No insulation, single pane windows, big old colonial with a 70' long el. Found an old wood/coal Jensen with lots of 6" duct work including the plenum. Put it down in the dirt floor basement "cave" where all of the plumbing lived. For the next 4 years I babysat that beast burning 4-5 tons of coal a year in it... blower ran 24/7 for 6 months. That thing did what it was designed for and put out a lot of heat along with 7-8 cords of wood thru a Fisher stove. Looking back, the old Jensen and Fisher saved our azzes.

4. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

Hey Stinny ya did what you had to do, and over there in Maine you weren't taking the chill out of the air. You were seeing 25 to 30 below zero, If it warmed up to zero you probably let the fires die down to coals and enjoyed the heat wave!:rolleyes:

5. Stinny

Stinny

You got it mistah man... :yes:

6. lknchoppers

lknchoppers

I have a mid 80s Suburban Wood Chief. I burn pretty dry wood but not perfect. Two seasons of constant burning and you can see the buildup in the pictures below. The truth is I don't think it is very much at all. I cut the air down during the day when I go to work so I can come home to a fire that is still going.

Don't let the government brain wash you, I still don't believe wood burning is all that bad. What happens when millions of acres burn in the west? Maybe they should regulate that so we can heat our homes. As far as everyone burning wood in cities, well it's my opinion that "Man Was Not Meant To Live All Crowded Together In Cities". Cities have a lot of problems due to over crowding. Garbage, sewage, muslims, etc.

NH mountain man, Stinny and jo191145 like this.
  7. jo191145

jo191145

Yep, that's the one stinny. Mine has taken a beating over the years but it's still chugging along if I need it. Just in the savings over oil it's saved our azzes every year! :)

NH mountain man and Stinny like this.
  8. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

You are right BUT the older Vermont Castings are a lot better than the new ones. if it starts to fail re- build it.
    My uncle who still uses his old Fisher Papa Bear had his rebuilt his 3 years ago at a cost of almost 500
    I brought him with me to check out new IS. And to help me with better burning techniques.

NH mountain man likes this.
  9. Locust Post

Locust Post

I liked my old Fireboss real well but I love my new Buck 91. When I put the new liner in and conected to my old stove it really limited the creo. but still doesn't hold a candle to the new stove. The old stove had a baffle and yes I burnt well seasoned wood. I finished my second winter last year and I got almost nothing out of the chimney either year. I said all that just as a comment, not knocking on anyone that burns an older stove but I'm sticking with my new cat stove.

Attached Files:

milleo likes this.
  10. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

You use what works best for you, and what makes you happy. That's all that matters. I will say, I love the look of the Fireboss, real old school industrial. Stay warm!

11. HDRock

HDRock

I could get the house up to 100 or more in dead of winter if I wanted to, with my old 8cf fire box heat monster ,with good wood burned pretty clean too, I kinda miss it but, new stove heats the house great too and burns less wood .

Fire-View Wood stove

IMG_20121109_051701.jpg