In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Introduce yourself here !

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Pallet Pete, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Welcome to FHC and dang glad to have you, EOTrapper :handshake:
    Sounds like you’ve been a part of the gang here since the beginning- you’ll fit right in!
    :salute:

2. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

3. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

4. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Welcome to the FHC :handshake: Great to have you. Be sure to post lots of pics. We love pics.

5. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Howdy EOTrapper , Pull up a stump next to the fire. I absolutely love the NE Oregon area. For many years we hunted mule deer above the Imnaha river area. Welcome aboard and I am looking forward to more posts and pictures!

6. EOTrapper

EOTrapper

I live outta Elgin. Between wallowa and lagrande. Some of the most beautiful country in Oregon that’s for sure. Spend quite a bit of time in that imnaha country.

7. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

Eric VW, metalcuttr and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  8. thescratchylens

thescratchylens

Greetings everyone, from Rock County, Wisconsin. We live on 3+ acres of neglected woods in the heart of Janesville. Lots of buckthorn to remove. Lots of dead standing red oaks, probably from wilt.

We’re big into our land restoration, native plants, birds, restoring old hand tools (especially family heirlooms), guns, cigars, and good whiskey.

After three years of no functional fireplace, we’re just about to install an insert and get going. Been hoarding for a bit, though, on this and prior properties (photos).

Cheers.

thescratchylens

Attached Files:

9. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Welcome thescratchylens . Like your pictures. Know you will enjoy the insert. Wood heat is a good way for us to demonstrate a degree of independence and benefit from the warmth also! Look forward to more posts.

10. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

Greetings to you thescratchylens , sounds like you'll like it here. Do you have any before and after pics of your woods?

Chvymn99, eatonpcat and metalcuttr like this.
  11. thescratchylens

thescratchylens

Thanks, metalcuttr - been lurking here a few days and really have enjoyed the content very much. So I’m glad to be here!

12. thescratchylens

thescratchylens

NH mountain man - yep! Gotta paw through the photo stash when I get home. But yep.

13. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

14. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Welcome to the FHC :handshake: Great to have you join us.

15. Erik B

Erik B

16. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

Hey welcome!
    I hope you like it here. I've relearned a lot since childhood days of the smoke dragon I grew up with.
    Like your Hauzen. Good idea with the plastic under. I just pulled apart a 2 yo stack that I put plastic down for. I'm not sure if it made a difference, but I'll continue doing it for a while going forward.

Again, welcome!
    SCA

17. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Welcome!

Chvymn99 and smoke show like this.
  18. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Welcome to the club!! :handshake:

Chvymn99 and eatonpcat like this.
  19. MNWood

MNWood

I already introduced myself when I was trying to subscribe to another thread. Now I found this thread so..
    I live in Coon Rapids MN. We moved here from Minneapolis about a year and a half ago. At the old house we had an old Vogelzang wood stove in the basement. Now we have nice fireplace with insert, a Travis Industries Flush Wood Plus insert. No catalytic converter. I have a Husqvarna 445. I am currently the caretaker of Dad's Speedco 34 ton split master which at 82 he says he no longer really wants to use. I have an Axe, a Splitting Maul, Splitting Wedges, a Hatchet. Over the winter I had 3 tress dropped in my yard and requested "No haul". A month ago I took down 4 trees at my son #2's house to clear the area where a new garage/ gym workout space will be built. So plenty of wood to process. I have been hauling that wood home to split, stack, dry and burn in a few years. I have wood that is dry and ready to burn, wood that is green and wood in between. I have already learned some from lurking here for the last three week or so. :) We also own some property "up north" (family land since 1967) so I have some experience cutting, splitting and burning wood. Married nearly 40 years, two adult sons, BMW motorcycles, hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, DIY everything.

Attached Files:

Chvymn99, bogieb and eatonpcat like this.
  20. MNWood

MNWood

Now I will ask a question/slightly hijack this thread. I took apart the insert, cleaned the firebox, ran a soot eater up the stainless flue pipe and put everything back together. The only issue I had was trying to get it all back together. The baffle front would not go back on the plate with the plate in the box. So I took everything back out and put the front back on, then reassembled. Now the front three fire bricks that sit on the baffle plate don't have enough room to lay flat/flush. I really don't want to try it a third time. Sorry for the blurry photo. How big of an issue is this if any? If it helps see pages 29 and 31 of the manual https://www.travisindustries.com/docs/100-01259.pdf

Attached Files:

Chvymn99 and eatonpcat like this.