In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Hearth work

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by FatBoy85, Sep 24, 2017.

1. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

So little bit of a thorough update mow.
    I had many different kinds of styles with the brick until the tile was laid.
    Mostly to get the bricks square but also to get the tiles consistent with the brick work. Just finished the tile and mortar. Grout to come either tomorrow or Tuesday. I had my daugher and my honey helping me out today to get this squared away and then the stove guy is scheduling me on Wednesday. Got a few more details to clean up around the ends with different tile having run out of viable slate. IMG_3485.JPG IMG_3487.JPG IMG_3488.JPG IMG_3527.JPG IMG_3647.JPG IMG_3653.JPG IMG_3654.JPG

2. papadave

papadave

Ok, now I get it.
    Got the whole fam helping too. Nice.

Thor, FatBoy85 and HDRock like this.
  3. HDRock

HDRock

Looking good so far
    :popcorn:

Thor, FatBoy85 and papadave like this.
  4. Kimberly

Kimberly

Looking good. You can probably find something that is close enough at some of the home improvements shops or even tile shops. The slate looks nice though. When I did my hearth pad, I wanted something that looked like stone but was not expensive. I picked a tile that I thought looked nice then found out I needed a special thin set for it and that stuff was difficult to work with.

Keep us updated.

Thor and FatBoy85 like this.
  5. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Thank you, I have to admit I was putting it off but my issue was really managing the size of the brick. They were two different sizes. IMG_3657.JPG
    IMG_3658.JPG So trust me this took some time to just think about and I got some help today that was a bit of fresh thinking for the Builder's Block...
    What I hope for is that habitat for humanities will fill the gap again. It has something usually. Hoping to keep it gray or stone color. The price for these tiles were very likeable, I just didn't really gauge the whole thing as far as cover goes, not bad for an estimation but could have been too close. It came out with one broken one that couldn't be used, the rest were cut and might make a couple of gap fillers. We'll see. Depending on what I pick up. The main part is, this setting is done. Grout and its finished structurally. I'll likely stand on it tomorrow night in hopes of final rigidity.

Thor, papadave and HDRock like this.
  6. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I like the color of that slate! I am going to throw together a cheap and quick hearth pad this week. When I do it right in the future, which will involve more room construction, I want to use slate similar to what you have.

Thor and FatBoy85 like this.
  7. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

This stuff was surprisingly easy to work with. My deal was the same, this was slapped together pretty quickly so I hope to just learn from this as it was purely rudimentary yet functional. Guess I'll find out when the stove gets set on the tile.

Thor and HDRock like this.
  8. Warner

Warner

It's nice when a plan starts to come together!

Thor, HDRock and FatBoy85 like this.