In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Have any saws you'd truly never sell/trade?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by NewToStihl, Dec 17, 2014.

1. NewToStihl

NewToStihl

There was a thread quite a while back on AS that asked if you have a chainsaw you can honestly say you would never sell and I enjoyed reading the responses. Do you have one (or more than one) that you can honestly say you would never let go, shy of it being the last thing you have left to sell in order to keep your family from going hungry?

My response in that discussion was none other than a Stihl 031AV . . . that I don’t even own. It’s my father’s and as I stated in that thread I am in no hurry to get the saw. You see, my father bought a brand new Sthil 031AV in October of 1978. It was used regularly for cutting firewood until sometime in the early 90’s. By the time my folks stopped burning wood my father had acquired a couple of properties for hunting & recreation and since then it has served to clear ATV trails, keep access lanes clear, and remove fallen trees from the wildlife food plots he maintains. Over the years he has been through a few sprockets, some clutch springs, and at least one set of clutch shoes. It’s been a solid reliable saw for him and he has never had a complaint.

So, I was ‘down home’ for Thanksgiving and he asked me to take a look at the 031 because he couldn’t get it to run right the last time he used it. A quick evaluation followed up by a carb cleaning (very clogged inlet strainer/screen) and it was back in action. We were shooting the breeze while I was working on the saw and I told him I needed some ideas for a Christmas gift (my sister had been pestering me to come up with something for us to get him). He’s getting some age on him these days and mentioned that he’d been thinking about looking for a lighter saw to tote around and asked if I had any ideas for something lighter than his 031, but with similar power. His suggestion was that I could sell his 031 and use that money along with what my sister and I planned to spend for the gift and then he would cover the balance for a new Stihl. My father has never been an overly sentimental man, but I was shocked that he would just sell off his 031. I told him I would certainly be able to find a suitable replacement and that I would gladly take possession of the 031, but not to sell . . . it sure as hell isn't going anywhere while I’m still alive!

So how about it folks - got any real keepers? Maybe an old faithful saw you've been felling or firewood cutting with for decades? Maybe a sentimental/inherited one? Perhaps even a 'priceless' antique you would simply never consider letting go?

DSS likes this.
  2. lukem

lukem

I only have one saw, but I'd unload it in a minute if the deal were right. Not because I don't like it, because it is a really good saw, but because it is just a tool.

If my dad's Homelite 360 ever came into my possession I'd have a hard time parting with it. I can't remember him not having that saw.

3. Warped5

Warped5

Here's a bit of a different take. The one saw I sold off and wish I never did was my Shindaiwa 488. Liked it a lot more than my 346XP OE (Which is still here).

DSS likes this.
  4. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

Back when I first started working in a small engine dealership, the "old man" in the shop, Charlie, took the time to show me a thing or two about how small engines were repaired before everything moved to replacing parts instead of rebuilding/repairing them. He also showed me a saw he had in a million pieces in a box. It was unique in that it was a twin-cylinder (who ever heard of such a thing?) and it was a John Deere saw. (Now some of you guys already know what it is I've got.) It sat for years in that box, with a bad crank and pistons because Charlie had never heard of chainsaw forums or even eBay and the local Echo dealer wanted big bucks for the parts. After I realized how not-so-difficult it would be to find parts for it, I tried several times to buy the saw from him. He wanted some serious cash for it and I couldn't spare the change plus afford to fix it so it continued to sit for over 10 years after I was introduced to it. Unfortunately after the tragic loss of his son, Charlie's health took a turn for the worst. His shop that he shared with his son was closed and the contents were sold or given away to his friends. One of my best friends was very close with Charlie and his family and recently during casual discussion, I learned that he had been given Charlie's twin-cylinder saw. I had assumed the saw was long gone by now but ecstatic to learn that my friend had it. He asked me what it needed and what it would cost to fix, intending to sell it later on as he has no use for it. I offered to buy it right then and there and he said "just take it". o_O

So I've since found a good engine for Charlie's 66SV (although I'd still be interested in a mint condition piston for it) and I just need a couple odds and ends to get it going again. I'll likely have to make the gaskets, as they are NLA but that's ok because that's one thing Charlie gave me a few pointers on. ;)

Charlie is still alive today but unfortunately he wouldn't recognize me and certainly has no recollection of this saw. But for me and couple others that knew him, it will ALWAYS be Charlie's saw.

I'd like my grandfather's saws as well when they feel they no longer have a use for them. One is a Stihl 034AV Super (in nice shape!) and the other is a Homelite Super XL (Blue).

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
    Todd 2, clemsonfor, Brettl and 11 others like this.
  5. Moparmyway

Moparmyway

I purchased my very first saw in the 1980's .............. an Echo 330EVL. It got me through my teenage years with a few bad hurricanes, and when I was fresh out of the US Military, I purchased my Stihl 044.

Both saws have been through enough (with me alone as the operator, and more recently the porter) .......... that neithor of them are going anywhere while my bad breath continues to spew from my corn cob nibbling bucktooth chompers.

clemsonfor, $ooline, splitoak and 3 others like this.
  6. Joe

Joe

My MS-361 will stay with me for a long time. First pro saw I bought and has many memories attached to it! If/when it ever dies I will put it up on a shelf.

$ooline, splitoak and mike bayerl like this.
  7. rookie1

rookie1

None of my saws. All my saws have a story behind them and mean something to me.

clemsonfor, bryanr2, thistle and 2 others like this.
  8. thistle

thistle

Most of them really - still kicking myself for selling the Poulan 475 77cc beast in Nov 2011 - rebadged Jonsered 2077,12.5k RPM with arm breaking compression bought new in Apr 1994.:( :headbang:

But 2 at the top of my list that would not be sold FOR ANY REASON are Dad's 1981 Poulan 3400 (he quit using it years ago,gave it to me,after a quick carb rebuild etc it runs like a raped ape once again) & my Mac Super Pro 125C.

Already told parental units if something should happen to me,make sure no one else cabbages on to those two....:saw:

Todd 2, clemsonfor, Cut4fun and 3 others like this.
  9. Guido Salvage

Guido Salvage

I have over 400 saws (including a JD 66SV) and would sell any and all of them. You might not like my prices on some of them, but for the right money they would be gone.

10. Machria

Machria

Shouldn't you be on the other forum?? www.ChainsawHoarders.com

clemsonfor likes this.
  11. Birddogtg

Birddogtg

I have a ehp 7900 and a Ecsaws 562 that are not going anywhere.

w8ye and DexterDay like this.
  12. Xjcacher

Xjcacher

I have my grandfathers mac 1010A. It was one of the first ones with a chain brake that he immediately removed ( don't need no stinking chain brake) and the muffler was a baffle that directed the exhaust towards the side, man was it loud.

clemsonfor and NewToStihl like this.
  13. Dascro

Dascro

Bought my Stihl 024AV in 1986. It's staying with me.

NewToStihl likes this.
  14. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

I want that 562!!! :thumbs:

Don't know what it will take, but I am going to pester you!! ;) lol

clemsonfor, Moparmyway and Birddogtg like this.
  15. Sunfish

Sunfish

My 14 year old 346xp OE will never leave here, or the ported 357xp that I got 4-5 years ago.

clemsonfor and PullinMyPoulan like this.
  16. UncleJoe

UncleJoe

I have 4 200T's that will never go anywhere until I get out of the tree Biz.

17. CNE deer

CNE deer

[QUOTE="

Charlie is still alive today but unfortunately he wouldn't recognize me and certainly has no recollection of this saw. But for me and couple others that knew him, it will ALWAYS be Charlie's s.[/QUOTE]

Awesome story, post some pictures if you have some

JIM

Todd 2 and splitoak like this.
  18. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

I have a few I would not let go.

PP 475 that I split the case on and completely rebuilt, PP 375o, PP 3700 that I tweaked a little than really runs.
    Husky 2100 cd, Stihl 036 pro, Dolmar 111I, PP 335 that I tweaked and really gets with the program.
    Husky 272, PP 445, PP 295 that I Tweaked. Just a great bunch of saws that I really like running.

Cut4fun likes this.
  19. mj_deere

mj_deere

Ony 12th b-day my dad gave me a Johnsered 2150 Jubilee. I still have that saw and it runs like it just came off the shelf. It's an amazing saw. Can run anything from a 16 inch to the current 24 inch bar and never ever lets me down. That's kind of silly that I think that much of saw, but we are all a little nuts on here.

20. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

My dad recently gave me an old Homelite 150 that he bought in 1974. It had been sitting on a shelf in his garage for many years and needed the recoil starter fixed. He ask me if I wanted to fix it up...and I did.
    I spent a little time going over the saw and got her running again. This was the first saw I ever used to cut wood, and I will let my 14 yr old son cut his first time with it.
    Yep....she's a keeper!

[​IMG]

Todd 2, pappy88, splitoak and 6 others like this.