In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Has anyone seen pellet sales at Big Box Stores, Spring 2024?

Discussion in 'The Pellet Bag' started by Orson_Yancey, Feb 6, 2024.

1. Orson_Yancey

Orson_Yancey

Fellow Pellet Pigs,
    Because New England has had a warmer winter than normal, there may be a lot of pellet
    inventory left over, at the end of the Winter and early Spring. New England experienced
    a similar situation in Spring 2016 when a ton of wood pellets could be purchased for
    $100 from a BBS. In Spring 2022, a ton of wood pellets could be purchased for $175 from
    a BBS.

Just wondering, has anyone seen pellet sales yet at the Big Box Stores? It happens when the
    BBS's are anxious to free-up space to bring in garden items.

Cash Larue likes this.
  2. bogieb

bogieb

I haven't really been paying attention since I am trying to keep my garage empty so some work can be done on the floor. My "local" HD has been a "check store" for pellets for months instead of saying they have it in inventory as they have in past years. And, OMG, they are limiting bags to 4 bags per order.

upload_2024-2-7_2-31-48.png upload_2024-2-7_2-32-14.png

Lowe's is showing this
    upload_2024-2-7_2-34-16.png

I believe that last time they had a sale (2 years ago), it was announced like 1 day before they started posting roads.

Yeah, if there was a really nice sale, I could put up a bunch of tonnage outside and then move it inside when the garage floor is finished though.

Cash Larue, Orson_Yancey and jtakeman like this.
  3. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Best price I've seen so far locally is $329 at TSC and $330 at Lowes.

$300 at a pellet house but they quickly sold out.

Cash Larue, bogieb and Orson_Yancey like this.
  4. Iron Stove

Iron Stove

Was it a CT pellet house ? I didn't get any emails.

Cash Larue and jtakeman like this.
  5. Iron Stove

Iron Stove

I can't get over one of the BiGest pellet houses and 14 of 18 in stock pellet skews are over $400 a ton.

Cash Larue and bogieb like this.
  6. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Yes A1 pellet had Blaskstone(AKA Still River) for $300/ton

Cash Larue and bogieb like this.
  7. Skier76

Skier76

Local HD it still $349 a ton as of yesterday.

8. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

We certainly haven’t seen any sales here. If I saw a ton of decent pellets going for $175, I’d clear out both levels of the garage and buy all I could get my hands on. Pellets are a hot commodity here, even during warm winters. Warm winters here are still quite cold. And I typically burn from late August until early June. My favorite Heartland pellets from my local Ace sold out in November this year. So I’ve been buying Big R brand pellets all winter. I keep 100 bags of Heartland’s in one of my sheds at all times just in case. Then just buy 10-20 bags of pellets every time I go to Ace or Big R. Gives me an excuse to take the boys to the hardware store to look at chainsaws and guns.

I have to say, I’ve grown to love the Big R brand pellets. They are reasonably priced ($6.49) a bag or $300 a ton (50 bags). They burn really hot and clean. I’ve never had a single clinker from them. And the biggest plus for me… Big R manages to always have them in stock, when no one else does. We are really lucky to have a Big R right down the road from us. They employ all the cool old retired guys and the cowboy hat wearing/bronc riding/barrel racing high school kids. They even leave a pallet of pellets out after they close for people who need them and get off work late. They just expect you to pay for them later. Honor system. I’d like to think that most people have integrity enough to follow through.

I also like to watch the live updates of when they get the latest shipments, and countdown when they are getting low in real time (in green below). The big number is either statewide or nationwide stock (not sure). The small number is my store’s current stock. I’ve never seen it hit zero. Nerd alert, I know :rofl: :lol:

Anyway, sorry for the novel.

Love, Cash

IMG_3963.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 24, 2024
  9. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Looks like TSC-HD-Lowes, have them for $329/330 when you buy a ton.

Skier76, bogieb and Cash Larue like this.
  10. bogieb

bogieb

I just went to my local TSC yesterday, and they were down to $329 (like jtakeman just posted). Tomorrow I'm getting a delivery of pellets from HD, who put them on sale about 10 days ago for $329. HD is limiting to 4 tons per order. The website says no-name brand, but they should be GS Northeast blend. I had a 10% off coupon so even with delivery charges I paid $315.75/ton. Hurts a bit since the last time I bought pellets, spring 2022, the price was discounted $70/ton to $190/ton. I bought 6 tons and paid $200 less than the 4 tons I'm getting now (and I DIDN'T have a 10% off coupon that time)

On a side note, looks like I'll get my delivery just before the roads are posted for weigh limits. I noticed in the local weekly paper yesterday that some surrounding towns are posting weight limits starting tomorrow (2/26). My town does not have their notice in the paper yet, so I should be fine. In 2022 I had to get a waiver from the road agent for HD to deliver.

Cash Larue, Skier76 and jtakeman like this.
  11. Skier76

Skier76

Mini mud season has started in Southern VT too.

bogieb, Cash Larue and jtakeman like this.
  12. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

Nice grab! What are weigh limits? Are they a temporary thing?

bogieb likes this.
  13. bogieb

bogieb

My town sets 6 ton max weight limit on every town road during the spring thaw (all towns have the power to set weight limits for all, or a portion of their roads). That leaves only 2 roads in my town that heavy loads can go over, both state highways. Spring thaw already plays havoc with our roads with heaving and water damage, and heavy loads increase and hasten damage.

Logging and construction is put on hold for this portion of the year for the most part. The road agent can give a waiver. I happen to be the 2nd house off of a state road, and my road is in good condition, so am more likely to receive a waiver than those further down. If a road is in not-so-good condition in the best of times, you are unlikely to get a waiver.

Once the road surfaces have settled down, the limits are lifted.

Skier76, Cash Larue and jtakeman like this.
  14. bogieb

bogieb

Got an email yesterday morning that my delivery has been rescheduled for Wednesday. Of course it was - that is when we are supposed to get downpours turning to sleet in the evening. So I probably won't get a chance to give them a bit of cover over the top.

And if we had gotten the snow yesterday that was supposed to happen when I scheduled the appointment, the delivery would have been made - because that is how my life goes :confused:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2024
    Cash Larue, jtakeman and Rich250 like this.
  15. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

I hear ya buddy. My wife and I always joke that it only snows when I have to drive into work. Snow on a work day is a 3 am wake up for me.

Orson_Yancey and bogieb like this.
  16. Red Elm

Red Elm

In Springfield, Illinois, at Menards, yesterday they had pellets at $5.58/bag. I dont remember the brand of bag, but I have looked them up before and they are made by Somerset from KY.

17. moresnow

moresnow