In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Harman advance door latch

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by corkman, Jun 23, 2017.

1. corkman

corkman

I'm finally getting around to installing the 2014 advance that I picked up a few months ago. It's going right where the old one was so a pretty easy swap out. Got stove in and prepped it for the summer. Put the door on and not happy with how it latches. Failing the $1 bill test big time. Check out the bushing. Completely worn down to the point that when I engage the latch it barely even moves the spring. Went to dealer but he doesn't stock them. Had to order but they only come in packs of 5 I guess. There's 2 bushings and they are different diameter according to parts list so I had to order 5 pack of each to the tune if $33. Anyone ever experience this

Attached Files:

ivanhoe likes this.
  2. corkman

corkman

Parts list

Attached Files:

ivanhoe likes this.
  3. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

can you use a sleeve bearing? Might actually work.....its really just a roller

gbreda, imacman and ivanhoe like this.
  4. corkman

corkman

I'll see if I can get my hands on something to make it work. Any suggestions on where to find a sleeve bearing

5. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Any industrial supply house should be able to get them. Graingers is a good start.

Let me know if ya get stuck or can't find one.

6. corkman

corkman

There's a Fastenall store not too far from me. Maybe I'll check it out Tuesday

7. gbreda

gbreda

Time to get creative.

Try a local hardware store like Ace or Aubuchan-not big box store. I have used one in Kittery ME and two places in Alton NH to Macgiver many repairs at home and at my honeys place.

These small hardware stores will have entire aisles of draws with almost anything you can imagine. If you havnt checked these types of places out lately you will be amazed at what you can find....and you can buy one, two or as many as you need at very low cost.

ttdberg, Lousyweather and jtakeman like this.
  8. corkman

corkman

Put the new bushings in. While there's improvement the door seal isn't where it needs to be. I have a tight seal everywhere except for the top of the door. Fluffing up the gasket helps but I think I'll replace it now before the season hits. I was gonna head to the dealer but thought I'd take a quick look on line 1st and found 2 different gaskets .I remember changing the gasket on my 2004 advance and it was the lighter colored one. This gasket that needs to be replaced looks like a graphite gasket. The lighter color one says it's a tadpole gasket and OEM. They both have the same part number. Which one ?

Attached Files:

jtakeman likes this.
  9. don2222

don2222

I think they are very similar. The Advance must use a tadpole gasket because it goes under the bracket that helps hold the glass in. So the OEM gasket is the one to use. Can you replace mine too. :)

10. corkman

corkman

It'll be interesting to see which one my dealer carries. Definitely the toughest door gasket to do of all the Harman stoves. Hey don. I'll do the stove for you if you want to drive the 90mins to drop it off

11. don2222

don2222

LOL

I just have not had the time! It may be good training for one of my helpers. :)

Do you think high temp Mirror Glass would look good in the Advance???

Updating a pellet stove fire door to high temp German Engineered mirror glass?

Looks good in this old PP38+ ??

Attached Files:

12. corkman

corkman

I'm sure it would. Mine is a cellah dwellah so no mirror glass for that. I do love it in my xxv upstairs though

jtakeman likes this.