In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Grass Seeding suggestions? Birds? Straw?

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by wildwest, May 8, 2017.

1. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Rented a bobcat last weekend (not that kind Jack Straw, I left the mountian lions on the mountain I lived in previously hee hee) , WWW leveled the back yard (60 years of snowdrifts that accumulate dirt and melt in place plus a large hump that was supposed to "settle" near the new septic field).

I have native grass seed from a couple years ago (ended up with new septic instead), thinking I would hand cast it around and hope for the best rainwise since we haul water.

Do I need straw? I have a bad feeling if I use straw, when the wind blows it away it will take the seeds with it? (its too big for me to rake, and spent the hobby $$ on the bobcat so no hired labor either).

Well ,wondering if anyone has some cheap suggestions, thanks:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 8, 2017
    don2222 likes this.
  2. Will C

Will C

I have always used hay to cover seedings. You have to accept that some of the hay will seed itself, so it isn't a choice if you are trying to grow "pure" grass-but it is heavier and you don't have to worry about the wind as much.

wildwest likes this.
  3. bocefus78

bocefus78

Grass can be grown without straw. I do it all the time. It definitely helps hold moisture in for germination however.

Seed it by hand and if you can't rake it in, go get a piece of old chain link fence, springs from a burnt mattress, even a pallet works and hook a rope to 2 corners. Then drag it (atv, tractor, walk at last resort) around to help cover the seed.

Get some starter fertilizer down too.

VOLKEVIN, brenndatomu and wildwest like this.
  4. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Thanks Will, so you think hay will be better? I have NO problems with the hay seeding here, matter of fact we used to pay a premium for the hay from up here for our llamas when we lived in Colorado, not sure it would grow and thrive, but anything that helps with mud control for the dogs, can be mowed, and look green in the spring will work:)

5. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

CAN DO !! :) :)

This fencing is coming down soon. So do I broadcast the seed before or after dragging the chainlink around (will use quad runner)?

Attached Files:

brenndatomu and bocefus78 like this.
  6. bocefus78

bocefus78

Seed down first. Then drag just to slightly cover the seeds.

wildwest likes this.
  7. Babaganoosh

Babaganoosh

Keep it wet!

I've used plastic for smaller areas until you get about half inch seedlings. Landscape fabric works too.

brenndatomu and wildwest like this.
  8. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Thanks! I will do the best I can, trust me I would if I could run a sprinkler, but we do not have water here, hubby hauls it 400 gal at a time on top of work, grocery shopping, you name it. I will have to be as smart as I can. I could take the truck there and do it if I could, but......

So I am thinking hay ontop of the seeds raked with chainlink?

Stinny and Eric VW like this.
  9. bocefus78

bocefus78

That's as good as you can do without water.

wildwest likes this.
  10. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Is that like weed and feed or more more specific stuff?

11. savemoney

savemoney

Without water, all you can do is seed and seed again. If you can organic material in your soil, it will hold the water longer and allow the grass to establish itself. I would wait and plant after you had a good soaking rain, if that is possible.

Stinny, pjcalla and wildwest like this.
  12. bocefus78

bocefus78

More specific. Any farm store or seed place should have it. It specifically for starting grass from seed.

wildwest likes this.
  13. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

14. pjcalla

pjcalla

Can I ask why you want to grow grass? Why not plant something that will give you a benefit instead of a constant drain? I'm actually trying to convince my wife to let me get rid of our grass, and replace it with plants, bushes, trees that will provide a benefit to us.

Just throwing a different option out there, and I understand if you want to grow grass. You do not want "weed and feed" as it will prevent your grass seed from germinating.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

wildwest likes this.
  15. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Thanks Larry:) I have another :rolleyes: appt at the eye doc tomorrow, and I plan on buying some compost from the dump. How I will get it on the yard in a different question, but its coming home tomorrow:) We, (he) use the sled idea you gave me till this day, snow, ice, mud, dry ruts, still works, thanks, I will do that if needed:) Guessing not fine enough, but we do have a seed spreader if its possible.

Hi there pjcalla , nice to meet you:) Honestly I don't need grass, we did not have any for 20 years at our previous home (well, cheat grass lol). My goals here is to provide a our kid that we had late in life with a somewhat similar experience that we grew up with, and almost as important, some mud control for the dogs. Loveable dogs come in with mud chunks between the pads and it ends up everywhere (ya, our are allowed on the couch and spend most thier time on it :rolleyes: Sweet lil things but....) As well as lil one and husband bring a ton of mud too on the shoes.

Stinny, Eric VW and pjcalla like this.
  16. pjcalla

pjcalla

Awesome. Yes, I have a little one and dog, so I completely understand. Add a rain barrel, so you're not hauling water for the grass? I love the view, by the way.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Eric VW and wildwest like this.
  17. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Can your hubby pick up a gas powered pump and pull from the lake to run a water sprinkler or 3? Maybe that's a no-no?

VOLKEVIN and wildwest like this.
  18. bocefus78

bocefus78

19. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Exellent idea and I plan on doing that when I get gutters.

No No, but who would know :whistle: and my imagination has been running wild on that idea for few weeks, OMG are you a mind reader? Thinking about an elevated holding tank 1/2 way between the water and here (too far with an affordable pump on its own), then both gravity for irrigation and pressurizing a sprinkler:dex:

Stinny and Eric VW like this.
  20. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Nope:whistle:
    But then again, you know a l'il about how I think...:loco: :crazy:
    :rofl: :lol:

wildwest likes this.