In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Getting ready for winter

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by boettg33, Oct 22, 2017.

1. boettg33

boettg33

With softball behind me, I am turning my attention to preparing for winter. So much to do, and not a great deal of time to get it all done in.
    • Chimney needs to be cleaned. - Done
    • Wood shed needs to moved out front, and then modified to hold three to four cord per year. (I've decided to modify this one to hold up to 4 cords out front which represents an average season for me.)
    • Clean out wood stove. - Done
    • Chainsaw needs some TLC
    • Log splitter needs some TLC
    • We have a log pile waiting to to CSS.
    • Generator needs an oil change, new spark plug and thorough check before winter.
    • Tons of stuff in the yard needs sorting out and put away. (No the hurricanes coming up the east coast did not get my to put stuff away.
    • Oil tank needs filling.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    HDRock, FatBoy85, Eric VW and 2 others like this.
  2. boettg33

boettg33

Today my son and I cleaned the chimney. Last year we burned ENVI-8 - 3 tons and one ton of ENVI Blocks to total 4 tons. Standing on the ladder resting against the backside of the chimney, I did not notice any resistance as the brush made it's way down the chimney. I proceeded to bring the brush to the top three time and send it down three times before calling it quits.

My son did the clean out portion, and it only filled the bucket about 1/4 full. I know that the ENVI-8's and ENVI-Blocks are super dry and report to burn clean, but you really don't get a true sense until you clean your chimney.

Our next task when my cousin's son shows up for dinner is to move the wood shed to the front.

Next Saturday will be maintenance day based on my list and Sunday will be expanding the woodshed to store the wood once I CS. (cutting if all goes well. - hahahaha - :rofl: :lol:, I crack myself up. I always forget steps I need to do before starting something else.)

Jason from RI

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    HDRock, FatBoy85, Eric VW and 2 others like this.
  3. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

What's this "oil tank" thing? Some kind of tracked vehicle?

Sounds like you have things well under control.

4. boettg33

boettg33

I wish. The list seems to be off to a good start. Yet there will be a great deal of interference that comes in. I say that next Saturday will be set aside to work on the power equipment. How much you want to make a bet that one of three things happens. One the wife comes up with something else I must do that prevents me from me from starting any of that work. Two once I start that work, I find a problem with one of the pieces of equipment that takes me a great deal more time and must be fixed before I can start CSS. Or option 3, the weather will turn on me and I'll not get a chance to get the work done in the order I planed.

papadave, HDRock and Eric VW like this.
  5. boettg33

boettg33

Oil tank is something I'd like to get rid of.

HDRock, TBONE and Eric VW like this.
  6. boettg33

boettg33

And that didn't take long at all. The wife has informed me that we are headed to Foxboro to meet up with friends from the great state of Maine. Which is wonderful. I'll have some time in the am, and will get what I can done before we need to leave. However; most of Sunday if not all will be finishing up working on the yearly maintenance.

I probably shouldn't have said anything, but that would not have changed Saturday.

7. HDRock

HDRock

Everything always takes longer than you want or expect:picard:

papadave and boettg33 like this.
  8. boettg33

boettg33

I don't know about the rest of you, but my wife seems to always find a way to sabotage my progress. She wants me to get it done, but then comes up with this and that left and right. I'll plan a day to work with my son or she will our son I need his help. Next I know we headed somewhere else. :picard:

chance04 and HDRock like this.
  9. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

That’s why they call them “wives” they’re wondering what you’re up to and why you’re not working on something else like the laundry or fixing toilets up in the house!

boettg33 likes this.
  10. papadave

papadave

My wife just requested a 1X6X18" board that she plans to use as a shelf. It won't take more than a couple minutes for me to do that, but it'll take longer to make the walk out to the shop and back.
    That's a SMALL sample of what you're talking about. I have a million other things to do, and she wants a board.
    I should show her where the shop is.:whistle:

HDRock and boettg33 like this.
  11. boettg33

boettg33

We moved bedrooms as I've talked about. My gun safe is still in my old bedroom as there is no place for me to properly mount it in our new bedroom. On my list is to build two new bedside tables where I would be able to mount the gun safe with easy access. At the same time make sure it's secure.

Just to give you an idea of where I put this on the importance scale, our old bedroom is clear across the house. I am not making it to our old bedroom should an intruder come crashing through a door. Though I can tell you that her pet projects will get in the way.

HDRock and papadave like this.
  12. boettg33

boettg33

Well as my luck would have it, the clothes washer decided to die. Now we are saving our extra money for a replacement. This has put all of my plans on hold as I'd need to spend some money in the preparation phases. As we are not burning that wood this year, it's gonna have to wait.

I've moved on to other no spending projects. My wife has bad knees and can only do so much when it comes to cleaning the house. Last weekend, I swept the kitchen and dinning room and mopped them for her. Today I swept them again plus the living room. All three rooms are tiled. Our downstairs is on a slab. She moped them while I spent a little money to replace the filler valve in the upstairs toilet that failed.

Tomorrow is reorganizing the garage and purging. Not too much should be thrown away. Unless my wife gets in there. Then all hell could break loose. Mainly putting stuff away after a long spring/summer/fall of softball. The garage becomes the catchall as we don't park in there. What little that needs to go to the dump should fit in the garage's dumpster across the street. If not, then I'll need to arrange some time this week to make a run to our dump.

After the garage, there will be yard cleanup. Yup, more stuff to put away in the garage. Fun fun. Someday there will be a small barn in the back to put this stuff in, and will be able to actually park in the garage. Wouldn't that be a novel idea.

Weather is beautiful today.

Jason from RI

FatBoy85 likes this.