In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Free Firewood vs. Semi-Loads of Firewood

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by Zack323, May 29, 2023.

1. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

Can you load the pallets on your truck? How long do you plan to season the wood?

T.Jeff Veal likes this.
  2. Zack323

Zack323

I do not have a way to load the pallets currently, I have been looking into a pallet stacker for firewood and my furniture business.

In Wyoming, firewood is different. Through the permit system, everything is dead standing. It generally is ready to burn immediately. If it's green, it can take 90 days to dry. We have lots of wind and humidity in the 10-20% when it isn't raining. I will rely on a moisture meter to ensure wood is seasoned enough. The local competitor does lots of logging and generally just splits material to order. Most times it isn't dry enough unless he's working with dead standing logs. One thing I've learned is if logs (even if cut two years ago) sit on the ground for a period of time, they tend to absorb more moisture, especially when snow is on the ground.

3. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

That's a good start. We delivered this tote of red oak to a local restaurant this morning. It was full. 0602230937_HDR.jpg
    They still had some from the last delivery, but were getting low.
    They get a tote about every 2 months . 0602231028.jpg
    This is the main grill. They use gas for the main steady heat source. Burn wood in the firebox for flavor. 0602231029.jpg

Ron T, morningwood, Chvymn99 and 7 others like this.
  4. Zack323

Zack323

T. Jeff Veal, how much wood does the IBC tote hold stacked? What length are you cutting it?

I need to pick some up but most places want $50-75 around here for 1 tote.

Chvymn99 likes this.
  5. Zack323

Zack323

Selling two more 1/2 cords of lodgepole pine tomorrow. I haven't ordered the tractor trailer load yet. I have two neighbors that use 5 cords and 6 cords so I could easily sell it but not at $280 a cord.

Chvymn99 likes this.
  6. EODDiver

EODDiver

Was checking out your CL advertisement and seems you are about the only person at the moment selling firewood besides bundlers. Think you should try increasing your prices and maybe deliver further out where there are more people such as Casper. I advertise free delivery, wheelbarrowing and stacking. These items are not free, just built into my price. My delivery range is 60-80 miles oneway, but not a big issue when delivering 2-4 face cords at a time. Check out my Nashville ads. Yep, I have a ton posted, but have to stay up with the other excess posters. Search "firewood for sale" and all mine pop up.

Zack323 likes this.
  7. Zack323

Zack323

Thank you for taking the time to share some advice. I will look close at your ads tonight. There are a few sellers on Facebook Marketplace but rarely any on Craigslist. I frequent both daily. A cord in Casper sells for $350 generally. I am there once a week if I go out to eat or need something for my furniture business. I'll start marketing to that area!

brenndatomu likes this.
  8. Zack323

Zack323

Two (1/2) cords were picked up today for a church retreat campfire. Buyer was shocked at how much (1) cord is, it almost didn't fit into their long truck bed with 4' sides. This buyer found me on Craigslist. I am out of sellable wood right now. I split and stacked two more cords over the weekend but it's at 24% moisture content. I'm hoping in 30-60 days it'll be fine OR if someone wants it for Winter 2023.

Attached Files:

brenndatomu and Chvymn99 like this.
  9. EODDiver

EODDiver

For the last two years I have been selling firewood year round because I have built up a large inventory. I reduce my price about $30 from April-August which is my slow period. Recommend only selling from October through March when demand is highest if you don’t have a large seasoned inventory. A lot of sellers seem to disappear after Thanksgiving and then I have a corner on the market. Save your ammo for when when others run out.