In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

First Pile/Season

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by MJK Farm, Sep 11, 2017.

1. MJK Farm

MJK Farm

No kidding that's a lot of wood. It's 2300 sq ft built in 1793, insulation isn't it's high point!! 2 fireplace and 2 wood stoves.

Backwoods Savage, Horkn and HDRock like this.
  2. HDRock

HDRock

Just be sure that all your chimneys and pipes are swept clean, maybe you have already done that:)

3. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

mines same 2300 square feet on 5 levels ...split level think colonial in back 20 by 40...full finished walkout basement. . raised ranch 7 stairs to front half 20 by 20.. top 3 floors have 16 to 18 foot high ceilings.. so front half has 2 stories Back half 2 stories above basement.. so second floor has Woodstock IS.. usually 80.. kitchen 70 ish bedrooms 65 in dead of winter...

Backwoods Savage, Horkn and HDRock like this.
  4. MJK Farm

MJK Farm

Inspected and swept before purchase. They have SupaFlu liners and spring loaded caps that act as dampers.

5. MJK Farm

MJK Farm

65 is nice in winter I think that is perfect.

Backwoods Savage and Horkn like this.
  6. M2theB

M2theB

Was that a direct quote from Dale Carnegie's " How to Win Friends and Influence People" or was that your own?

7. billb3

billb3

yes

8. M2theB

M2theB

Thanks bud

Backwoods Savage and Horkn like this.
  9. HDRock

HDRock

Warner, M2theB and Horkn like this.
  10. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Hello, welcome.... I'm not in your neck of the woods as far as location goes but I'll be burning for the first time for heat this year likely. I'm in Washington, they say it gets wet here. Will have a stove installed professionally now that I am up to my ears in wits about the project. Anyways I had bought my house with just electric heat and then boom, one bill was a fashionable $300...one month. Carry the 5 cold months that were close in range tied together and My stove would have been bought twice over. Since then, its been a bunch of scroungings and CL findings to which I load up a 3/4 cord trailer as much as I can and split and stack. Many of these members are indeed indispensible for their lore on the wood and whatnot.

I just figure do my homework and that was collect wood until I felt satisfied with what I have. Cut, split and stack off the ground. I'll grant you the ties will work out great for you. Even pallets can be a good try as well. Make boxes. Collect as much as you can. If you're not "ready ready for this year " you will be ready for later.
    Keep cutting, splitting and stacking. Its all money in the bank.

11. Horkn

Horkn

Welcome to FHC, MJK Farm

There's no shame in using eco bricks or whatever they want to call them. It's about staying warm. Cutting at 16" is a really safe length, but until you know what the stove takes, you won't have to recut.

I'd use a moisture meter if I were you. It will let you know what is good or not this year, and for future years. Under 20% and your golden. Once you get years ahead, the MM isn't as necessary.

Same thing with the Prius. While there are some real turds that drive them, there's also turds that drive pick ups;). It's not the vehicle, but rather the driver.

I rented a Prius in 2008 for my wedding in California. It was a great car. I put well over 1000 miles on it. Twisty roads in NorCal, great mpg, and tons of room in it, 50+ mpg while driving it like rental :whistle:. There's a reason they sell as many as they do, 22k for a car like that is not a bad deal at all. It's kinda like the wood stove with a catalyst on the top. :smoke:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  12. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

You did a walk around, did you see any soft maple? If so, you might be able to cut and split that now and could possibly burn it by February but it would be very close.

Horkn and HDRock like this.
  13. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Thank you.

Our old stove was put into service outdoors for burning papers and I planned to use it possibly for boiling some sap in the spring. However, a distant relative came by one day and saw it. The last time I saw that stove it was on the back of his pickup heading out of here.