In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Farmers' Almanac s Predicts Nasty Winter - Is your stove ready? If not what are the improvements?

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by don2222, Aug 25, 2014.

1. don2222

don2222

Attached Files:

wildwest likes this.
  2. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

My upgrade was selling my Jotul Oslo and purchasing a Woodstock IS.
    Posting pics soon.
    Nice thread idea...

Chvymn99 and BrianK like this.
  3. Stinny

Stinny

My upgrade last year was replacing a very old Old Mill smoke dragon, with a Lopi Liberty. Perfect for what I wanted to do. The last "phase" of my firewood process is getting my Bilco firewood bin built, along with 2 rolling wood boxes for it. Prolly wait until the cold is nipping to get me fired up... :whistle:

4. RockyMtnHigh

RockyMtnHigh

I would make my stove acquire gainful employment, so it could afford it's own pellets. Seems fair since it lives here and I PAID for it lol.

All kidding aside, I'm very happy with my Vistaflame, the biggest issue I have is needing to tighten up the house just to save money on pellets.

5. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

After 6 seasons I'm finally installing an OAK for my P68 to see if it makes a noticeable difference in performance / efficiency. There is so much info out there about the OAK concept. Some think it's a no-brainer to do, others say it just doesn't make enough of a difference to be worth spending the money or time on it. So...I just have to try and see for myself! I do have to say I'm a little skeptical, only because my wood stove and oil burning furnace both draw a lot of air when they are burning, and there's no such thing as an OAK for them, so on the grand scheme of things...how much of an impact can installing an OAK on my pellets stove *really* have? Time will tell!

6. savemoney

savemoney

Please read. http://www.structuretech1.com/2013/03/combustion-air-ducts-why-houses-need-them/

wildwest likes this.
  7. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

Great article and I agree with it to a point. Homes older than what the newer version of the energy code has affected will still be 'leaky', meaning most of the pics seen in that article, wire holes, door seals etc. this is my house ( built in 1880 but getting tighter) I don't need an OAK because of it but anything built in the last 5 years to today is affected by the new code and will most likely need an OAK for their stove or pellet.

8. BrianK

BrianK

No need for an OAK in our 80 something year old house. When its windy outside the curtains are moving inside. Some day I'll insulate and replace the windows, when my ship comes in. Unfortunately that ship has been hung up on a sand bar in the bay for several decades now.

So far most of my firewood has been free so its cheaper to just throw a couple more logs in the new IS stove.

9. badbob

badbob

10. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

I installed a new auger motor the old one quit (well stripped is more correct) after 30+ tons, that piece of corrugated card board was the last straw.

Has a nice quiet new Gleason Avery in it. I also stopped some harmonic noises by using some gasket material. The stove is a lot quieter now.

jtakeman and wildwest like this.
  11. don2222

don2222

The best oak is the one that warms and dries out the burn air. I just installed one on a Whitfield yesterday. The vacuum cleanout makes vent cleaning a breeze! It's like a Whitfield on steroids now!

Attached Files:

wildwest likes this.
  12. smoke show

smoke show

3 adapters on the oak?

jtakeman likes this.
  13. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

There is certainly a lot going on in that pic!!

You couldn't find one adapter Don?

14. 343amc

343amc

I just used a hose clamp around the adapter on mine. It sealed it up pretty good. It's not the best looking rig I've ever done, but it's in the basement and on the back of the furnace and nobody looks at it but me.

15. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

I used a 3" flex vent and put it over my 2" (maybe 2.5"?) On my Pellet furnace.

I just cut some slots in the flex vent and then kinda overlapped a fee of them, and tightened the hose clamp. Looks good and it's functional.

16. 343amc

343amc

Same thing I did. I was lucky enough to have an exhaust adapter from years past in the bottom of the toolbox.

I can pop it right off the air intake if needed on those rare winter days when we have a strong east wind.

17. don2222

don2222

Yes, I am lucky I could find any adapter! The code is that they must be fire proof! Yet no stove or venting company makes an adapter from 3"to 2" and most stoves are 2" !!
    So I put a self tapping SS screw and clear RTV to secure them and make them air tight!
    The wall plate screwed into the wall studs is Very Strong! Nothing is going anywhere!
    Also very easy to remove them from the stove for service!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  18. don2222

don2222

Yes, cutting slits and clamping it Dexter that does work well! I have done that too.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  19. Iron Stove

Iron Stove

Looks more like a Turbo charger to me [​IMG]

SmokeyTheBear likes this.
  20. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Welcome to FHC Iron Stove!!

We may be called Firewood Hoarders, but we have a lot of Pellet Hoarders/Burners as well :dex: