In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Fairview fireplace install question

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by BCB, Nov 20, 2016.

1. BCB

BCB

Hello Everyone,
    I've posted before about my fireplace dilemma with installing an Ideal Steel. I'd have to rebuild the hearth in order to get the clearance I need for the stove's rear vent.

I was checking out the specs on the Fireview and i don't think I would have to do anything to the hearth since the stove is shorter and has a smaller footprint.

My question is how much space is needed in order to reach the controls at the back of the stove.

These are the dimensions of my fireplace
    Hearth (brick face to the edge of the slab) 19"
    Fireplace opening is 34" wide and 27" high (might be higher once I take off the metal casing and the glass).

I think I have enough room to drop an insulated liner down the chimney and through the damper without having to cut out the damper. I believe the fireplace was a custom build by one of the previous home owners. It seems much more heavy duty compared to some of the other fireplaces Ive had or seen in the past.
    IMG_1841.JPG

2. papadave

papadave

Calling Backwoods Savage .
    There should be dimensions for the Fireview in the manual, including rear exhaust C/L height. Maybe that would help.

3. BCB

BCB

Thanks

The stove dimensions are listed on their website. It should fit. I'm more interested in seeing how much space everyone is working with behind the stove plus pics of their fireview set up.

Horkn, Backwoods Savage and papadave like this.
  4. papadave

papadave

Just from the pic, doesn't look like the hearth is deep enough. You may need to put down something on the floor in front.
    It's been a while since I looked at the FV manual.
    Jeez, where's Dennis? He already filled his deer tag. Must be out playin' in the snow.:whistle:

5. BCB

BCB

Would anyone have any reservations about buying a used Fireview from the mid-late 90s? I just came upon one at an excellent price.

6. fox9988

fox9988

Do you know if it's the current model 205 or the earlier model 201?

brenndatomu and Backwoods Savage like this.
  7. BCB

BCB

I just called the owner to verify if its a 201 or 205...waiting for him to call me back. I didn't realize there were 2 different variations until I started googling about older Fireviews.

Besides the air wash system for the glass and a bigger cat for the 205 is there much of a difference?

8. fox9988

fox9988

It also uses a different cat.
    The air intake through the door is a dead give away.

9. BCB

BCB

It's a 201. Seller is asking $600 for it. He's had it since new.

crap it looks like Woodstock is out of the 201 cats too.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    brenndatomu and Backwoods Savage like this.
  10. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

BCB give Woodstock a call (800-866-4344-2). Tell them Dennis sent you! Ask them about the cat and how soon they could get one for you.

$600 is not a bad price but I think you could get them down a bit more because it is of the older design.

On the Fireview, keep in mind the draft control and bypass control is right at the rear of the stove so you need to be able to just reach it. So long as you have some side room you probably can manage buy you can judge that with measurements.

If you need a picture of the controls, let me know and I'll take one for you.

brenndatomu, Horkn, BCB and 1 other person like this.
  11. BCB

BCB

Thanks Dennis! Unfortunately I called Woodstock before I read this. I talked to Penny and they'll be sending me a new cat when they come in off of back order early next month.
    The bypass is on the rear of the 201 but the draft control is on the door. I'm going to have to read up on how to operate the stove. The owner included the original paperwork from when he bought it new in 1995.

I went ahead and ordered a maintenance kit for it plus 2 replacement legs for it after I broke 2 of them getting the stove off the trailer with the hand truck (I'm glad the neighbor's kid wasn't outside or she would of learned a whole new set of words lol).

The stove is in really good shape for its age. It just has a little bit of surface rust due to the owner having it out on his porch. I'm going to hit it with the wire brush and I picked up some brushable high temp paint so some new paint and a little cleaning up of the soapstone it should look like a brand new stove when it's ready to install.

I went ahead and ordered a flex liner kit and an 18" flue extension. I'm hoping to have everything hooked up and burning next week (hunting season opens next Monday so ill be in the woods for a few days).

I'll post some before and after pics when I start working on it. I left it strapped to the dolly so its ready to tilt once the new legs arrive.

brenndatomu, Horkn, papadave and 2 others like this.
  12. Backwoods Savage

Call Penny again (or any of them as they all know or can look up drawings and whatnot in their computers). They can help on the operation of the stove for sure.

On the rust, I'd highly recommend steel wool #000 or #0000 rather than a wire brush.

On the words, I know how that works!

13. BCB

BCB

Thank you for the steel wool tip...you probably just saved me from more cuss words lol.

14. Backwoods Savage

And the steel wool works really well for touching up any scratches in the stone although I have to admit, we haven't done much of that.

brenndatomu and Horkn like this.
  15. BCB

BCB

Here she is. Getting her ready for sanding and paint today.
    IMG_1845.JPG IMG_1847.JPG IMG_1849.JPG IMG_1851.JPG IMG_1848.JPG

brenndatomu, LongShot, milleo and 6 others like this.
  16. BCB

BCB

15171270_10209856346459092_2185775822783315908_n.jpg 1st coat went on last night. Second coat will be applied later this morning.

17. BCB

BCB

Paint is done. New legs and gaskets arrive on Friday. I'm going to buff the stone next. IMG_1855.JPG

18. Backwoods Savage

Looks like some discoloration on that one stone at the bottom. One word of warning about that particular stone. If any stone has to be replaced on a Fireview stove, that is usually the one. The reason for this is when loading the wood, people tend to "throw" the wood in which will hit the far end of the firebox and sometimes over time that stone will crack. So be a bit easy when filling the firebox.

19. Horkn

Horkn

Wow, that cleaned up nicely!

brenndatomu, BCB and papadave like this.
  20. BCB

BCB

My flex liner arrived today. My chimney length was right around the minimum needed for the stove so I bought an 18" extension to go above the top plate. I won't be installing it until late next week (hunting season starts this week). Since it's an interior chimney I didn't bother ordering the insulating blanket. I plan on picking up some Roxul to put in above the block off plate and under the top plate in order to create a dead air space in the chimney.

Replaced all of the gaskets except the glass gasket this afternoon (ran out of time). Didn't realize I need a 2" gasket to wrap around the new Cat when it gets here so that's been ordered. Shipping a gasket via UPS is expensive! $13.50 to ship a $16 item.