In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Facebook diet

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by schlot, Apr 27, 2015.

1. schlot

schlot

No....it's not some new fad diet guaranteed to lose 20# everytime you "like" someone's comment...it's just my attempt to disconnect from the world of Facebook as much as I can.

I've always considered Facebook as a necessary evil. As a dad with three late teen to mid twenties children I want to keep as many lines of communication open with them.

BUT there is so much stupid stuff on there it's sickening.

From spam from Facebook to politics to whiney people. Acckkk!

So I uninstalled Facebook from my phone this weekend. Its still on my laptop but I only use that during the work day.

I thought about also unfriending the whiney "friends" but my wife says I shouldn't unfriend her mother or sister....dang! :)

Have to say....I didn't miss it at all!

Anyone else done this?

splitoak, HDRock, Eric VW and 6 others like this.
  2. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

You can "unfollow" your whinney friends and not have there drama show up in your feed. In fact, unfollow everyone you don't care to read about.

Eric VW, wildwest, fox9988 and 3 others like this.
  3. lukem

lukem

What's facebook?

4. schlot

schlot

I did some of my extremely political friends but a few of my and my wife's relatives rely on posting to put out all sorts of information (legit) but then also whine or post junk of all sorts.

wildwest and Shawn Curry like this.
  5. schlot

schlot

A 4 letter we shouldn't say here :)

milleo, wildwest and Shawn Curry like this.
  6. ironpony

ironpony

I belong to 3 forums and have a flip phone. no technology here. yes I have 3 kids and run a multi million dollar business. you want me you call me, period.

stackowood, jetjr, FarmHand78 and 5 others like this.
  7. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Yep, got tired of all the drama about 3 years ago this August... If I want drama, I'll just go to work....I get more there than I care to have anyways....

8. yooperdave

yooperdave

Facebook's the devil!
    [​IMG]

9. Bret Hart

Bret Hart

No facebook for me ever and not likely to get involved. The few forums I'm involved with are as close to social media as I want to get.

At least once a week one of my daughters is literally crying about something on there and for some reason they go back for more. Sign of the times I guess.

10. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

So THAT'S what you did with me? Lol......

11. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

I have a lot of friends and family out of town that I like to see what's up with. I also get a lot of tree work lined up through FB, and our FHC facebook page is also reason for me to be on there...

I've deleted MANY of the drama queens from my page but I keep a few there for entertainment purposes......lol....

splitoak, milleo, savemoney and 6 others like this.
  12. schlot

schlot

Yes in small doses it can be fun. :)

I have one person that literally can take something like going on a wonderful vacation and make it sound like root canal.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  13. papadave

papadave

Too invasive for me.
    I think I sometimes share too much on here as well. Deleted (yeah, right) my Facebook subscription/whatever quite a while ago. Everyone's trying to gather as much info on you as they can to "tailor" ads and content. At the same time, they also now have a dossier of every shred of info you've ever posted, which can be used and abused.
    I got away from the big city for a reason, and it isn't to be bombarded with ads and crap 24/7/365. I'm not very interesting, so whoever hacks my info will be bored to tears, but the ads/spam are just crazy.
    I don't listen to much over-the -air radio anymore either, for the same reason. Ads that try to sound like if you don't buy their stuff, you'll die, or be un-cool. And the screaming. WTH's with that? Nothing but bull poo-poo.
    Starting to rant, so I'll stop. Sorry, but at least I didn't get political.:D

bushpilot, splitoak, 343amc and 8 others like this.
  14. thistle

thistle

Yup some (we all know at least 1 person in our family & friends) are ''basement people" - never happy about ANYTHING,always a ''glass is empty'' person,constantly bringing everyone around them down to their level. I'm on FB fairly regularly,but have managed to tune out/ignore most of the drama/whining & other crapola....

Sure its normal to be concerned,even worried at times about how things are going with our lives either financially,healthwise or other family issues.But you cant let it rule your life,depression can be a slippery slope & a serious medical issue.

But for me,long as I still wake up every morning,can still move around somewhat,have food/roof over my head,that's nothing to be looked down upon.....

Attached Files:

15. Stinny

Stinny

Well said...

Eric VW, wildwest and Shawn Curry like this.
  16. papadave

papadave

Yeah, and I can only watch so many "cute" videos of cats/dogs/whatever. If I want cute, I can look at my wife, in the mirror :rofl: :lol:, or watch my own dogs.
    I''d rather be in the shop or out css firewood.
    I have however, gotten into texting more lately.
    I would guess that folks, at least some of 'em, on Faceplant, would say similar things about sites like FHC.
    Really, how many times can you see a stack of firewood and like it? Ok, never mind, that's a bad example...:D

17. schlot

schlot

Shouldn't the question be.."how many times can you see a stack of wood and NOT like it?" :)

Faceplant....I like that.

I like FHC because it's vastly positive and constructive discussions here.

18. papadave

papadave

'xactly.

splitoak, milleo, Eric VW and 3 others like this.
  19. briansol

briansol

I use it WAY less than I used to. But it also has it's uses, for example these types of events when phones are down... maybe internet works and you can 'check in' some where to let people know you are ok.
    http://foxct.com/2015/04/27/google-and-facebook-help-locate-nepal-survivors/

I have a couple business/pages on there so i need to for marketing/etc, but my personal use of it is mostly my gf tagging me in food pictures after we order rediculous amounts of food. lol

wildwest, Shawn Curry and schlot like this.
  20. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

I find that if you don't actually post or read anything on Facebook, it holds no power. I use it as a tool-- chat with family members (privately) and mostly read the for sale groups. I have a relative that is currently hospitalised so I have been taking the time to keep up on his wife's feed for details. It really can be useful if you let it.