In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Enviro M55 Insert Troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by Skier76, Jan 18, 2024.

1. Skier76

Skier76

My wife has a colleague at work who just bought house that has an Enviro M55 Insert. The stove is currently not running. They called a local provider who came out, looked at the stove (did not use a multi meter or pull the stove out on service rails) and did not know what was wrong with it. The diagnosis: “Maybe it needs a new motherboard, daughter board, combustion blower or a temp sensor.” Lovely.

She sent my wife a video and the following is happening:

The stove turns on and immediately , the convection blower comes on at full tilt. The feeder auger and agitator are NOT moving. #2 is blinking on the control board. Based on what the manual online says:

“VACUUM SWITCH: Notifies when the unit has lost vacuum. This can be caused by either a combustion fan//vent failure, or simply the unit's outer door, pedestal door, and/or hopper lid being left open. It will display a #2 flash code.”

So, thinking of pulling the stove out, inspecting the wiring and looking at the combustion blower and checking it for any blockage.

Not sure what would cause the convection fan to come on immediately. We have a GCI60 and know that the convection blower won’t kick on until the stove is lit and up to a certain temp.

Welcome any feedback! We are heading over Sunday to have a look and hopefully help them out.

eatonpcat and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  2. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Clean clean clean! Stove should be pulled out and cleaned since they don't know the prior maintenance the stove has had. The most likely cause of the #2 light is usually plugged venting.

When the stove sees no vacuum and the #2 light comes on. The stove goes into shutdown mode where all fans are full tilt.

3. Skier76

Skier76

Thank you! I plan on bringing my service rails over that I use on our GCI60. I think they should work on the M55?

4. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

I think they should. Very similar stove built by Enviro.

Keep us posted! :)

5. Skier76

Skier76

My wife and I headed over yesterday afternoon. My wife’s coworker was there; along with her parents. Here father is a really handy guy. He had made up a vacuum bypass and a plug with spade connectors to test the combustion blower.

Long story short, the combustion fan was not spinning freely. However, after vacuuming and turning the stove on while on the rails (cover that outlet on the on combustion blower!) and it started spinning a lot better. Bypassing the vac switch allowed the stove to start. We tried cleaning out the vac line, but no dice. So it appears a new vac switch is needed.

I pulled the numbers off the switch after it was removed and no real surprise, it’s a common unit you can order from many supply houses and you don’t have to find one on a site that sells pellet parts.

So more to come on this! Having the service rails were really handy. I was shocked to hear that the last company there did not pull the stove out; they took the surround off and tried accessing things that way. They were the ones who suggested just getting a new mother board, daughter board, combustion blower and temp sensor. Oh, and another vendor came out to clean the chimney…and didn’t pull the stove out when they did so. I gave the stove a very thourough cleaning when it was out on the rails…and the inside of the brick firebox too.

For anyone curious, here’s the part number from the vacuums switch. I’m going to assume this is the same for the GCI60.

IMG_8803.jpeg

imacman, jtakeman and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  6. Warner

Warner

In the automotive world we call that loading the parts cannon! Fire a bunch of parts at it with little actual diag and hope for the best. I have said it before but this is why I generally don’t trust the “professionals” anymore. Unfortunately most people don’t have the knowledge to ask questions and get scammed. Good for you for helping out!

7. Skier76

Skier76

I’m going to have to use that term going forward!

Agreed. It’s amazing what some places will pull off. I’m not sure if it’s lack of knowledge, throwing things at the wall to see what sticks or maybe a combination of both. It’s amazing how far a little knowledge in life will get you. I’m glad I nerd out over mechanical stuff.

imacman, jtakeman and IHATEPROPANE like this.