In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

EDC Knife thread

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by Smokinpiney, Jul 4, 2014.

1. blacktail

blacktail

I don't really have one. My Gerber multi tool probably leaves the house more than anything. I've also got a small Gerber promo knife with Danner's name on it that I throw in my pocket sometimes. 20 years ago I bought a Gerber EZ-out that I still take sometimes. Then there's the Remington folding knife clipped on my chest waders. I got it because it was nearly free at Cabela's and it's blaze orange. I like the idea of being able to find it if I drop it. It's gutted a boatload of fish.

Chvymn99, IHATEPROPANE and Ronaldo like this.
  2. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE

Orange knives are cool. I only have one but I love it.

Attached Files:

3. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

The Case xx large stockman came yesterday. When they say "large" they mean LARGE. Really nice knife. Just a few licks on the strop to get it right.
    [​IMG]

4. AmarilloSlim

AmarilloSlim

My "Beater blades" bench made presidio and cold steel voyager.

Attached Files:

5. AmarilloSlim

AmarilloSlim

The Fenix was a very nice light. Sadly it stopped working. I've trouble shot it with no luck so it's due to be sent back to Fenix. I would definitely buy another though. Currently I'm carrying a tactical performance from academy. Similar lumens and takes a beating. Check out the head abuse! Not a single problem from this one.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    IHATEPROPANE likes this.
  6. blacktail

blacktail

Knives, wallets, cell phones, etc. Everything is offered in camo now. Some things should be easy to find, not difficult.

7. chbryson

chbryson

Mine vary by the time of year and when I dull a blade, I move to the next in my "knife box" then sharpen them when I have a chance. I do have a few "special occasion" knives that come out on occasion just like the grips on my 1911 change from time to time. I also misplace knives from time to time and just when I get about ready to replace, they usually turn up. One of my favorite gerbers was gone for a while until I pulled some window wrap off a window at my camp. I remembered using it to cut the 2 sided tape and set it down. Finished the window wrap and then realized on the next window that it was now behind the shrink wrap. I left it until spring, not wanting to redo the window again.

bassJAM and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  8. bassJAM

bassJAM

I've never lost a knife, until this past year. One of my favorites is a Benchmade Mini-Griptilian with a D2 tool steel blade and it's completely disappeared. Around the same time it vanished my wife was doing a lot of crafts and was borrowing my pocket knives frequently and I'm pretty certain that has something to do with it.

Ronaldo and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  9. colin.p

colin.p

I have a few I recently picked up, but they're cheap. I have a couple '86-'89 Schrades but the LB5 has a broken lock spring and I never sent it in for repair, too late now. My favorite EDC's are my Buck Vantage and the KaBar Dozier and to a lesser degree the RAT2. I would like to get a Kershaw at some point, but everything up here is close to double the U.S. price and I really can't justify paying much over $50. But, they all cut.

Attached Files:

10. RCBS

RCBS

I was given this SOG Flash II by a good friend about 6 years ago. Lightweight, blade holds an edge well and I really like the assisted opening. It has served me as a doall knife. Everything from slotted screws to skinning a squirrel. I carried a Gerber Paraframe for several years previous to the SOG. The only knives I don't like are dull ones!

IMAG0603.jpg

11. bogydave

bogydave

Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Cheapo , can be sharpened on a grinder
    IMG_0383.JPG

12. colin.p

colin.p

That one is on my short list, that or the KaBar Jarosz.

13. colin.p

colin.p

I picked up some black tanto bladed behemoth from my local Canadian Tire that actually isn't too bad. It has nylon/teflon washers and opens real nice and smooth. I guess it is what they call a utility knife but with a forever warranty (CT's warranties are pretty good) I just bring it back and they give me a new one. Not too shabby for $20 Canadian or 49 cents U.S.

Attached Files:

14. bogydave

bogydave

Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    LOL
    Canadian $ is 75¢ / $1.00 US now . Been hanging there for a a while now (+/- a few ¢)
    Was around 80¢ when I drove the Al-Can, in 78. Not much has changed in near 40 years. :)

I loose them frequently, at the airports or other places of security screening
    Have left some in a few states.

It's a tool to me.
    I'm one of the good guys, but treated like I'm a threat. , a threat to who. years of military top secret stuff, no police record.
    "Just venting "LOL

Not sure if I'm even allowed to cross the Canadian border with it now. ????
    Maybe banned from Canada with my notorious history LOL :rofl: :lol:

RCBS, VOLKEVIN, IHATEPROPANE and 3 others like this.
  15. colin.p

colin.p

Nothing like carrying a WMD in your pocket.

RCBS, IHATEPROPANE and Ronaldo like this.
  16. ChipsFlyin

ChipsFlyin

My EDC. Early production Buck Crosslock 180. I think it dates to 1994 or 5. $4 flea market find about 10 years ago.
    DSCN4855.JPG

RCBS, IHATEPROPANE, Ronaldo and 2 others like this.
  17. colin.p

colin.p

After a couple months of buying "cheapish" knives, I decided to see what all this noise is about traditional knives. I couldn't understand why someone would buy a Buck 110 (or variant) over a Buck Vantage, for instance. One handed opening/closing is all we need - right? Well I was browsing a knife forum and someone mentioned buying knives from Lowes, but they don't seem to sell knives in Lowes up here so I checked out Home Depot and found Case knives.

So, of course, I bought a Carhartt by Case large stockman 10375 (large as I always equate large as better - right?). It is rather large, but I absolutely love this knife. At first I couldn't see much use for the smaller spey or sheepsfoot blades, but after fiddling with it for a couple hours, the light went off in my head and it now all makes perfect sense, three knives in one and every blade has a use. I can see using the smaller blades more than the larger clip point, but get the large handle to comfortably hold the knife, rather than the normal tiny handled knives that sport short blades. I have a SAK Recruit model on my keys that I've had for 10 years or so, but only really use the tooth pick most of the time, however, now I am starting to look at it in a different light too. Modern knives are nice, but I am inexorably being drawn to slip joints, and now that Mini griptilian that I am saving for, doesn't seem as attractive any more.

Now I get the reason why people buy a 110.

Attached Files:

18. blacktail

blacktail

All gerbers. The multi tool goes out the most. That and the EZ out are both over 20 years old.
    20170609_173501.jpg

19. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

I like Gerbers. Have several and feel they are good for the price.

Sent from my Z832 using Tapatalk

RCBS, IHATEPROPANE, blacktail and 2 others like this.
  20. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

This. How many times do you drop your bush knife with a handle like this and never find it? I've dropped simple things that blend in the surroundings so easily you wonder how you found it at all. You can look like a dang idiot with a flashlight trying to find something like that.

On the other hand Im not always carrying but try to keep my leatherman multi-tool where I can grab it. I like pocket knives too much to really have just one and I tend to take advantage of big 5 or the like sporting goods store that cuts a $50-60 knife down to $10-15 and works ok until you lose it in your parents chair for a year or so.