In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Dangers of cooking with fruit wood?

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by Sean, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Sean

Sean

Kootenays, South Eastern BC Rockies Canada
    I was speaking with a farmer who comes to our valley in the fall and sells various fruits and veggies that he grows on his farm, he sells mostly apples and pears. He mentioned to me that I have to be careful about using fruit wood to cook with because of pesticides that get into the wood. He knows some people who got real sick from cooking over apple. I wouldnt know so I thought I would ask you guys what you think. I have some apple from a yard tree in town that Ive been drying out a bit so I can cook over it. Its just trimmings left over from a local business that I visit. They were going to chuck it so I threw it in the back of my truck this spring. What do you guys think? Any truth to this claim? Thanks

2. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

:sherlock:

3. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Subscribed

Well Seasoned and Eric VW like this.
  4. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

people get real sick from going to the city

5. Sean

Sean

Yes they do.

Well Seasoned and Eric VW like this.
  6. Sean

Sean

Its just something Ive never heard of before and it didnt even occur to me that this could be a threat. The curiosity has gotten the better of me so I thought I would reach out.

7. Babaganoosh

Babaganoosh

I'm going to say it's possible. There's a lot of variables involved but I think it's definitely possible. Probable? Not really. But possible.

8. Jeffrey Svoboda

Jeffrey Svoboda

Firewood Bandit Do you have any ideas about this. Iirc you said you knew some stuff about chemical application.

9. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I'll chime in here... I started heating with wood close to 10 years ago because friend of mine told me how he pays $1 for a permit to cut all he wants. The place that did this was Knouse Foods. I live in what used to be called the apple capitol of the world (when I was growing up), Adams county Pa, also home to Musslemans. I now have a friend who's family owns Fetters Orchards. He regularly lets me cut all I want for free. Last fall/winter, my son and I stopped @ 54 trees. When the orchard gets too old, they push the trees over and start fresh. (I also got my BIL and a friend all they wanted). mike bayerl got a load too ;)
    DSC00898.JPG DSC00896.JPG

So in these 10 years, I've used the apple.... quite a lot, to smoke and cook meats. Never have I noticed any sickness or health related issues from it.
    DSC00450.JPG DSC07071.JPG

Here's the 1st haul... ended up being 16 cord (for $1).
    DSC03944.JPG
    And for reference, here's my son now
    DSC00777.JPG

Hellcat, RobGuru, Viking80 and 16 others like this.
  10. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I also reached out to my local favorite BBQ joint this summer. He said if he hadn't just bought a load, he would have from me. My biggest concern was that I didn't use veg oil in my saw to cut, he never asked...

11. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

You live in Nirvana for firewood and smoker wood. I'm happy to help you out any time my friend.

12. Babaganoosh

Babaganoosh

16 cords for a dollar?!

That's about a 5 year plan for me for a buck. I'll take 2.

13. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

As for burning orchard wood; If eating food cooked over it is potentially unhealthy then what about eating the fruit that grew on it?

14. Sean

Sean

Thats a good point Paul bunion, it caught me by surprise and so far the good folks here have helped me out tremendously. I was only thinking that maybe others new something that maybe I didnt. Glad to have the advice of the collective.

15. Sean

Sean

Thanks for spending the time to upload the pictures and to add your insight. Greatly appreciated!

16. Sean

Sean

I was thinking about Firewood Bandit when I was putting this together so thanks for mentioning him. He knows quite a bit about fruit trees so Im sure he will chime in and tell me his opinion.

17. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

I think the difference here is a "contact" vs. a "systemic" pesticide. Systemic pesticides can get incorporated into the body of the plant or fruit and have a long residual effect vs. contact pesticides do not get incorporated into the plant, work on contact of the outside of the plant and can be washed off. I would guess most produce is treated with contact pesticides as the pests that affect the plant or fruit attack it from the outside. So I think the amount of pesticide incorporated into the wood of the fruit tree would be very low. I'm pulling a lot of this from the inner crevices of my brain from my college days which were a long time, so if you are really interested or concerned...

18. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

This right here.....:thumbs:

Well Seasoned likes this.
  19. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

Most of the apple ai get is yard trees, no pesticides involved. Picked up a huge apple tree this past summer.

But I totally agree with Paul bunion, if the smoke from pesticide wood is bad for you, I'd have to say eating the fruit is worse...

Hellcat, Thor, Well Seasoned and 2 others like this.
  20. Firewood Bandit

Firewood Bandit

Well it shows what you guys know if you want my opinion.:whistle::D

If I were to go out on a limb, I would guess that the farmer in question was a long haired granola muncher, smelled like pot and preaches the benefits of ugly organic food that cost 3x as much.

Back to reality. All chemical are labeled with two important numbers, the PHI and REI. That is post harvest interval which is the # of days that needs to pass before the produce can be legally harvested and consumed. The second, REI is the re entry interval which is the amount of time that must pass before any one from the public or other workers can enter the area treated area. This is quite short, generally until dry or sunset the following day.

I am not going to say that it would be impossible to measure the amount of chemical in the wood but believe it would be insignificant. Modern science can measure concentrations in the PPM or PPB. (parts per million or parts per billion). Heck I have seen news articles saying the sky is falling from someone throwing prescription drugs down the toilet and it being later measured in waste water plant emissions. It may be there but doesn't make it significant.

I use apple wood out of my orchard for smoking. The only problem with apple is it makes poultry a darker color than using something like hickory but it tastes a lot better as hickory smoke can be over powering.

The apples you buy in the grocery store didn't get that way by accident.

Here are a few of mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Old trees I cut down because the fruit wasn't good enough

[​IMG]