In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Chimney and Stove selection, Englander Madison?

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by CoreyB, Aug 25, 2017.

1. CoreyB

CoreyB

No mine doesn't hit. It does have about 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Clearance. I would have to check for an exact. Did your spring or something get bent?

Kimberly likes this.
  2. Kimberly

Kimberly

No, it was like this from day one. It was one of the annoyances I had with the stove; I thought the spring might have been too large and ESW sent me a replacement but it was the same size. The Madison 02 has a large door and I am guessing that no one noticed because the stove ships without the spring installed. I am going to put it in a vise and see if I can just flatten it out so that it is not in the way of opening and closing the door. Often when opening the door, it will catch and pull out the damper control. All last winter opening and closing the door was a two handed operation, one hand to move the spring out of the way and the other to close and latch the door.

3. CoreyB

CoreyB

Well that stinks. But should be an easy fix. Could also just fab something up as well.

Kimberly likes this.
  4. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Is the control rod bent?
    Or would bending it actually "fix it"?

papadave and CoreyB like this.
  5. Kimberly

Kimberly

It doesn't appear bent, it pulls out straight, it if was bent, I would probably notice that. I guess one could bend up on the rod but I would rather just try flattening the spring knob to get the clearance. I don't think it would hurt the appearance much since the knob is so small. Remember that one also turns this rod to set the AAS so it could cause issue with that .

6. CoreyB

CoreyB

Just a quick update. I am glad my misconceptions of an epa stove was way off!
    This stove starts so easy! I am glad I went with the 16.5 chimney height and straight through the roof. Good dry wood helps. Over night burns are no problem at all. The madison holds a lot of heat . And even embers for ever.
    The Madison throws out a ton of heat. It is so nice. Our back bedroom has had trouble in the past staying warm. Even with a forced air L.P. furnace. That is not a problem with the Madison. Just flat out impressed so far. And paint wait till we have a few weeks of sub freezing windy bone chilling weather to see how she does in some good long CHOOCHINN.

7. Kimberly

Kimberly

Do you see any issue with smoke spillage. Another member says the large stoves with large doors will spill smoke. My Madison 02 is really bad in this regard; not sure if raising the chimney higher will help or not. The neighbour came over and I had just filled the stove and the house was full of smoke. I kept apologising for the smoke. The smaller Madison may not have this problem.

8. CoreyB

CoreyB

No I don't have that. It is hard to smell it even. The only time I get smoke is if we go to start a fire and it has enough embers to get my bottom logs smoking before throw everything else in.

9. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Won't hurt...but the most bang for the buck at this point would be getting rid of that 90* elbow right above the stove...
    Because you have that straight up chimney...the perfect setup. :yes:

Ronaldo and CoreyB like this.
  10. Kimberly

Kimberly

OK, I have egg on my face. The reason I had so much smoke spillage today was that the damper was closed. I feel foolish but wanted to update. I usually get a little bit of smoke spillage but today it was bad; however, that is to be expected with the damper closed.

Ronaldo and CoreyB like this.
  11. CoreyB

CoreyB

I could see that causing. Problem. I also never open mine until it is down to a coal bed so not much smoke going on anyways. On reloads I get a little smoke with the door wide open the whole time I load because the bottom logs are starting to fire before I finish loading. So by the time I am done loading the fire is already starting to chooch and after 10 min or so she is CHOOCHINN so good it is time to shut her down and let it cruise for the next 8-12 hrs.